• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2024 at 9:14 PM, newshane said:

People these days are soft. Debate is squelched. Honesty abandoned. 

I admire the few straight shooters left in the world. I wish there were more of them. 

If you mean RMA, and my apologies if you don't, he is not a "straight-shooter." He too often assumes facts not in evidence for the sake of gotcha moments designed to make people look like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons because they were unaware of the information he withheld.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:21 PM, paqart said:

Sugar coating and leaving out essential information are different things. If a mechanic tells me I can't count and I am a certified CPA, I'll be inclined to argue. If he means I don't know how many pistons are in my engine, he's making a totally different claim outside my expertise that I might agree with. Doing things like that is a way for a person with expertise in one field to feel superior to people in other fields who may have less knowledge of the field in question. It is annoying more than clever.

O.o

On 4/27/2024 at 8:44 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

cgcactualcaseinnerwell.png.43b47270ffed64d2435219ca948e09df.png

(tsk)

On 4/27/2024 at 9:08 AM, paqart said:

It fits, but thanks for the lame gotcha attempt, it was tepidly amusing. I wasn't drawing to scale. There is only so much time to make things like this when there is real work to be done elsewhere. 

:popcorn:

On 4/27/2024 at 6:23 PM, paqart said:
On 4/27/2024 at 6:14 PM, newshane said:

People these days are soft. Debate is squelched. Honesty abandoned. 

I admire the few straight shooters left in the world. I wish there were more of them. 

If you mean RMA, and my apologies if you don't, he is not a "straight-shooter." He too often assumes facts not in evidence for the sake of gotcha moments designed to make people look like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons because they were unaware of the information he withheld.

:hi:

image.png.57847d0f9faeecbb4ab887205b1bb92c.png

On 4/27/2024 at 6:30 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

cgcactualcaseinnerwell.png.43b47270ffed64d2435219ca948e09df.png

(tsk)

hm

On 4/27/2024 at 6:23 PM, paqart said:

gotcha moments designed to make people look like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons because they were unaware of the information he withheld.

hm

(shrug)

On 4/27/2024 at 8:23 PM, paqart said:

they were unaware of the information he withheld.

So…someone else is responsible for your…lack of information? I’m trying to understand your angle here…

The problem was that you didn’t realize the inner well had separate compartments for the label and the comic? Have you never cracked a slab before? 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:36 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

:hi:

image.png.57847d0f9faeecbb4ab887205b1bb92c.png

hm

hm

(shrug)

Namely, that the holder for the comic inside the main holder is connected to the label holder. I didn't know they were the same tray. You adding that black line looked like a mistake to me, not information. This is because you didn't write anything, you just made a crude adjustment to an excellent illustration, and assumed I'd know what you intended to communicate. And speaking of which, I'm still not completely convinced because I didn't see anything to prevent lifting the comic out of the inner tray and moving it separately. The label had slipped over the edge into the area reserved for the comic, and it looked like the comic was moving enough to pull it out if I used a thin piece of metal, like a palette knife, to scoop it out.

Banana peels.jpg

On 4/27/2024 at 9:51 PM, newshane said:

So…someone else is responsible for your…lack of information? I’m trying to understand your angle here…

The problem was that you didn’t realize the inner well had separate compartments for the label and the comic? Have you never cracked a slab before? 

No I haven't. Should I? Is there some reason why a collector, not a dealer, should busy himself cracking perfectly good slabs he paid thousands of dollars for? Good grief. I feel like I stepped into a world where the height of moral virtue is to know the exact location of every lemon peel in an alley, and where fights will take place to establish dominance. These conversations are much easier when there are no efforts to try and score points by making mystery posts understood only by the chosen few.

It was a conversation like this around 2018 or 2019 about newsstands that decided me to stop buying comics for about two years. That conversation involved RMA also, if I recall correctly. It's as if he wants to shoo people away from the hobby. This conversation is heading in the same direction, and I actually work in the industry off and on. I feel like an auto designer who meets a customer and decides, "that's it, I'm going to be a statistician."

Anyway, this is totally off-track now. My apologies, it wasn't my intent. RMA has a fantastic but risable talent for tweaking me (and others, apparently). Not a skill I'd be proud of, but it is undeniable.
In other news, anything happening in the Zaneglor cases? I'm glad to hear owners of tampered slabs will finally be getting compensation, though now I wonder how that will be determined. From CGC's perspective, it would be very easy to lowball collectors, and from the collector's perspective, almost any offer could be construed as lowball. This would recommend a higher settlement from CGC where there is no requirement to do it. Hence, the dramatic tension created by the situation. It seems to me that the individuals who bought from Zaneglor could have actions against Zaneglor even if compensated by CGC because they were inconvenienced, placed in jeopardy (if they had sold tampered holders), and may have lost opportunities to sell at higher than the settlement price.

In some cases where a buyer is duped, they can be attacked as incautious for buying something at a price so good that they didn't look carefully at what they were buying. That doesn't seem to be the case here, because the comics were won at auction, meaning, highest possible price. They weren't overlooking defects to save money here.

On 4/27/2024 at 11:01 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

8oa00f.jpg

hm

"As if". It's an important conditional expression. I didn't say it was your intent, but I was inspired to stop buying comics altogether for about 24 months or so. I was making up for lost time, but am feeling inspired again.

You don't get all the credit though. Getting back to this thread, what do you think of the situation with Zaneglor? It's beginning to look like this incident won't have any long-lasting impact on the hobby at all, and any losses suffered by collectors will be minimal.