• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2024 at 6:41 PM, Panda2 said:

Were these newsstand or tatooz versions? Or rather were they supposed to be?

Yes, both books were newsstand variants and the ASM 238 was supposed to be inclusive of the tatooz insert

On 4/30/2024 at 6:56 PM, Mdesimone said:

They just offered me close enough to FMV after I declined the first offer

Pretty messed up that they made you negotiate!  They should have went out of their way to make you happy with their first “offer.”

Glad it worked out, but geez!  Way to restore faith CGC!

On 4/27/2024 at 1:07 PM, paqart said:

I found a patent drawing for the case. It validates the idea of both being in the same tray, but it seems like the comic well is open

On 4/27/2024 at 1:07 PM, paqart said:

US6102207-1.png

I think I understand what is missing....

In the Patent Drawing, element 14 is the formed tray that holds the comic (in direct contact with the comic).  In this image, you don't see the single sheet of matching material that is sealed over the tray (no thermoforming/molding - just a perfectly flat optically clear sheet).  That sealed INNER WELL suspends the comic inside the outer shell.

So, if when you opened the outside case, you were then able to leaf through the comic book, then something is wrong with that case.  CGC either missed sealing the inner well together, or Zaneglor got to it and thought he could dupe you for far less than he usually works for (because he can just sell an ASM252 for far more).

On 4/30/2024 at 2:54 PM, silent06 said:

under what I paid for the books

Have they at least offered to buy it at the price you paid (with sufficient proof of purchase - I'm sure)?

On 4/30/2024 at 8:07 PM, shadroch said:

Would you call it a happy ending? Will you buy another copy of the book?

Yes I am going to replace it as soon as I get this check

On 4/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, silent06 said:

Both GPA and GoCollect reference Ebay sales for their respective assessments of FMV, so I am not sure how you arrived at CGC providing and offering a valuation of 110% with taxes of current Ebay prices

Ah, I did not realize they were newsstands. I suspect they did not take that into account.

• Administrator
On 4/30/2024 at 11:12 PM, Mdesimone said:

Yes I am going to replace it as soon as I get this check

Thanks again for working with us on this and informing us of the Newsstand Editions versus Direct. For any other customers who had a newsstand but whose pricing originally reflected a direct, we are reviewing these currently. If you already received an offer yesterday, we will be following up with you shortly with an adjusted offer accordingly. If you have not yet received an offer letter and your book has already completed its review, we are still waiting on the insurance company to review some of these situations. Once we have more information, our team will follow up with you. 

@Mdesimone, Thanks again for your patience and for bringing this error to our attention! We appreciate your understanding.

On 4/30/2024 at 5:51 PM, Yorick said:

I think I understand what is missing....

In the Patent Drawing, element 14 is the formed tray that holds the comic (in direct contact with the comic).  In this image, you don't see the single sheet of matching material that is sealed over the tray (no thermoforming/molding - just a perfectly flat optically clear sheet).  That sealed INNER WELL suspends the comic inside the outer shell.

So, if when you opened the outside case, you were then able to leaf through the comic book, then something is wrong with that case.  CGC either missed sealing the inner well together, or Zaneglor got to it and thought he could dupe you for far less than he usually works for (because he can just sell an ASM252 for far more).

I opened quite a few first-generation slabs and many had wells that weren't sealed properly. They ranged from some being wide open to others being partially open . Those you could peel apart carefully.  The sticker on top was prone to either being missing or taped on.

On 5/12/2024 at 5:17 PM, Tnexus said:

TL;DR

Dude spent 9 minutes to say, CGC took care of him, but I can't give any details.

He wouldn't divulge price but I'd think CGC offered him $7000-8000. He had two 9.8 ASM 300s. He said they made the process very easy and were more than fair on their offer. Both books were crossed off the list and details were updated to show as part of this counterfeiting.

On 5/1/2024 at 6:12 AM, MattM CS said:

Thanks again for working with us on this and informing us of the Newsstand Editions versus Direct. For any other customers who had a newsstand but whose pricing originally reflected a direct, we are reviewing these currently. If you already received an offer yesterday, we will be following up with you shortly with an adjusted offer accordingly. If you have not yet received an offer letter and your book has already completed its review, we are still waiting on the insurance company to review some of these situations. Once we have more information, our team will follow up with you. 

@Mdesimone, Thanks again for your patience and for bringing this error to our attention! We appreciate your understanding.

I have still not received any offer. Can anyone explain to me why CGC has to wait for the insurance company to approve any offer? If insurance doesn't approve, is CGC not going to make their customers whole? I also have no idea why this has taken months, when it would take anyone with any knowledge of comics no more than 30 minutes to determine.

I also have received what I think is a fair offer to replace the comic in the grade it was supposed to be in - plus a bit of a top up to cover things like customs, etc.  Still waiting on the forms to sign off, but have found them to be very reasonable (aside from the delay) - once they came back with an offer, communication has been very solid.

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 6:23 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

I have still not received any offer. Can anyone explain to me why CGC has to wait for the insurance company to approve any offer? If insurance doesn't approve, is CGC not going to make their customers whole? I also have no idea why this has taken months, when it would take anyone with any knowledge of comics no more than 30 minutes to determine.

@WernerVonDoom, Because the insurance provider is the one directly reimbursing our customers and NOT CGC they must review each situation directly and create an offer. That said, there are still several customers/situations we are waiting on an offer from the insurance provider. Once this has been confirmed one of my team members or I will be contacting you with more info and the next steps. 

Thanks for your patience! 

• Administrator
On 5/14/2024 at 9:44 AM, Panda2 said:

I also have received what I think is a fair offer to replace the comic in the grade it was supposed to be in - plus a bit of a top up to cover things like customs, etc.  Still waiting on the forms to sign off, but have found them to be very reasonable (aside from the delay) - once they came back with an offer, communication has been very solid.

@Panda2 Thanks for letting me know! I have just alerted our claims team to send this out to you again. This was sent on the 7th and again yesterday but this should come through today to the email we have on file. If you do not receive this, please reply to my email correspondence with you regarding this claim.