• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,017 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2024 at 11:57 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

8o8ml6.jpg

I wish I had photoshop on this machine...

we need Mike's face as "moderation." 

On 4/27/2024 at 12:12 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

cgcbasicframeplusinnerwell.thumb.png.ce2bf8d4bd2d07e429797fbcc5d4016e.png

Right. You seem to be trying to say that the comic book is the size of the entire case, which it isn't. Again, nice comedy bit, but you need more seasoning before you go pro.

On 4/27/2024 at 12:12 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

cgcbasicframeplusinnerwell.thumb.png.ce2bf8d4bd2d07e429797fbcc5d4016e.png

Call me if you want some lessons in geometry, dimensions, volume, etc. I've only written three books on computer graphics that cover the subjects.
EDIT: I just remembered that my PhD is on a related subject, and my publisher liked my thesis so much, it was published as a book also, so that's four books. Totally forgot about that, though the fourth book is technically more about topology than geometry. Still, it's related. It helps that I taught the subjects at university for twelve years also.

Edited by paqart
added info

On 4/26/2024 at 8:31 PM, paqart said:

These don't bother me. What bugs me is the open corner. As I wrote, the comic could have easily been removed. I was tempted to do it, but changed my mind after reading your warning. I don't have it any more because I sent it in, so I'll send a drawing of what was going on. It was easy to show if I was holding it in my hands, but not when lying on a table.

EDIT: I must have gotten so used to centimeters living in Europe for over a decade that I forgot what inches looked like. I just looked at a measuring tape and see that the gap labeled "1/4"" in the drawing is closer to a full inch.

CMA 51_1.jpg

REALLY nice illustration.

Here's my 2 cents (since we have now dedicated four pages to this):  the corner post was cracked.  I could see the white glare of the shattered plastic in one of those photos.  The book looked about right at 8.0, but I didn't like that top right corner impact.

The older cases are a bit different than the current iteration.  Many of the top labels peeled off over time, and plenty of the CGC labels got wavy inside the holder.

I would NOT have suggested any shenanigans with that book, but you've already made a decision and returned it.  Doesn't matter now.

On 4/27/2024 at 3:36 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

cgcbasicframeoutlinecomicandlabel.png.374af0d7385687344ad69ad1f3ad9bb9.png

CGCoutlineinfo.png.1b8e0827118c24430a86ce99099109ae.pngcgcbasicframewithcomicandlabel.png.25be74d2f2793230ee3b6953591b9b8e.png

(thumbsu

Okay, so you're saying that the comic and label section are connected and that the comic is sealed inside so it can't be removed separately? It didn't look that way to me. When I looked in through the open corner, it looked like the comic was separate from the label part of the container. Maybe they are both sitting in the same tray, but can be manipulated separately? It's gone now, so I can't check. You know, if this was what you were saying, a few words instead of all the snark would have made it easier to appreciate the possibility you had some real information to offer. I found a patent drawing for the case. It validates the idea of both being in the same tray, but it seems like the comic well is open, held open only by the top cover, which is what it looked like to me. If that is the case, then the comic could be removed as I illustrated. Otherwise, you may have a point.

US6102207-1.png

On 4/27/2024 at 1:07 PM, paqart said:

Okay, so you're saying that the comic and label section are connected and that the comic is sealed inside so it can't be removed separately?

:hi:

Maybe they are both sitting in the same tray, but can be manipulated separately?

(tsk)

You know, if this was what you were saying, a few words instead of all the snark would have made it easier to appreciate the possibility you had some real information to offer.

O.o

Spongebob[ Earlier that day ]timelapse - YouTube

paqart said: It fits, but thanks for the lame gotcha attempt, it was tepidly amusing. 

meh

but it seems like the comic well is open

(tsk)

Otherwise, you may have a point.

8o9672.jpg

:cloud9:

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 4/27/2024 at 6:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

I guess anybody can stay at a Holiday Inn these days. 

Your "degrees" and "manifestos" don't amount to much in this area and when it comes to matters such as these, related to comic books and slabs I would defer toward RMA and quite a few others. 

Your slab was not tampered with.  This is eye rolling as now it seems you might realize your mistake but are trying to convince yourself and not the rest of us of your "side". 

This place is getting to the point that it's best to just read only.    

Maybe there are even more reasons than I realized that I have not bought a single comic book or piece of art this year.

Disney World was great.  Old San Juan was great.  Other places to go see, spend my money on and things to do.

I was responding to a snarky comment by RMA that implied I didn't understand Geometry, which happens to be a subject I know very well. What I was unaware of was that the label and comic section of the inner holder are joined, which has nothing to do with the "Geometry" reference RMA made. It would have been relevant, though impolite if I had been aware, but I wasn't. In any event, the real issue is that the corner was broken and others didn't seem to notice that. The tampering issue was settled with Adamantium's first or second post. That was not my interest in continuing. 

I don't understand the Holiday Inn reference.

In any event, you're right, the issue is dead. I thought I saw tampering. It wasn't. It was a dmaged holder, so no big deal, except the responses made it sound like boardies here thought broken holders were both normal and acceptable. That made me think, "to hell with this. If that's the case, I can't ever trust one of these again." That misunderstanding, on both sides, is what we were discussing. However, according to Adamantium, these aren't normal or acceptable, so I am satisfied.

The last few spasms of snarky posts are expected, so have your fun. Signing off.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:00 PM, shadroch said:

Bilbo Baggins put it best:  "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't a balrog in my woodpile"

That would have to be an ENORMOUS woodpile.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:38 AM, newshane said:

I encourage him to abandon speaking through emoticons and images. BRING BACK THE PROSE! :sumo:

While I agree and enjoy his, let's say wordier posts (I know that's not a real word), he's doing a fine job of getting his point across with images and emojis so hey whatever works and doesn't get him banned. It's unfortunate that people are so thin skinned that they can't take a poster who has a very deep knowledge base on things he posts about, just because he doesn't sugar coat things. Sugar coating things isn't all it's cracked up to be but that's just my 2c

On 4/27/2024 at 9:10 PM, LordRahl said:

While I agree and enjoy his, let's say wordier posts (I know that's not a real word), he's doing a fine job of getting his point across with images and emojis so hey whatever works and doesn't get him banned. It's unfortunate that people are so thin skinned that they can't take a poster who has a very deep knowledge base on things he posts about, just because he doesn't sugar coat things. Sugar coating things isn't all it's cracked up to be but that's just my 2c

Sugar coating and leaving out essential information are different things. If a mechanic tells me I can't count and I am a certified CPA, I'll be inclined to argue. If he means I don't know how many pistons are in my engine, he's making a totally different claim outside my expertise that I might agree with. Doing things like that is a way for a person with expertise in one field to feel superior to people in other fields who may have less knowledge of the field in question. It is annoying more than clever.