• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

Seems like things are moving - I received an email from them offering me 'fair market value' for the book in question - the number is actually ~around what GPA has for the book (averaging the 7 sales that are recorded in 2024) - but doesn't account for shipping costs, buyers premium, customs fees (yey Canada).   

On 4/30/2024 at 2:03 PM, Panda2 said:

Seems like things are moving - I received an email from them offering me 'fair market value' for the book in question - the number is actually ~around what GPA has for the book (averaging the 7 sales that are recorded in 2024) - but doesn't account for shipping costs, buyers premium, customs fees (yey Canada).   

Lucky, I refused their garbage offer for what I paid for the book. I demanded FMV

On 4/30/2024 at 11:54 AM, Mdesimone said:

So cgc wants to reimburse me what I paid for my asm 129 in 2019, they flat out lied about making people whole again, I’d rather have my book returned it is worth more then what they want to pay for it. This is absurd 

:butbutbutemoji: I thought they said this

On 1/13/2024 at 9:15 PM, Gaard said:

Just to be clear...

Let's say you spent $10,000 on a 9.8 comic. It turns out that it's on the list, so you send it in to be evaluated. CGC decides that it indeed has been switched/tampered and it is actually a 9.4. CGC will keep the book and compensate the owner of the book the FMV of a 9.4?

The FAQ page has been edited to answer this question.

What happens when I submit a book for Holder Review?

If your book is determined to be correctly graded, it will be reholdered with a new certification number and returned to you at no charge. If your book is determined to be incorrectly graded, CGC will retain your book as evidence, and you will be compensated for the current fair market value of an accurately graded book at the original incorrect (higher) grade. Fair market value is calculated in accordance with the CGC Guarantee.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:23 PM, paqart said:

So I have to know the answer to the question before asking? Is that right? Or do I have to know the answer to this question also before asking?

Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.  That way, you don't have to worry about accidentally learning something.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:27 PM, silent06 said:

I, too, recently received emails for three of my four books affected by the tampering incident. It appears based on the offers provided by CGC that their analysis or assessment of "fair market value" is the actual or true grade of the book as part of this incident, not the grade as noted on the holder or as the consumer and original purchaser believed the book to be, which to me as someone impacted is unacceptable and in no way an attempt to make me whole. CGC seems to be playing with words such as "fair market value" to shroud their intent to make minimal disbursements for the claims in this incident.

What would you say the percentage is between your FMV and theirs?

On 4/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, silent06 said:

I, too, recently received emails for three of my four books affected by the tampering incident. It appears based on the offers provided by CGC that their analysis or assessment of "fair market value" is the actual or true grade of the book as part of this incident, not the grade as noted on the holder or as the consumer and original purchaser believed the book to be, which to me as someone impacted is unacceptable and in no way an attempt to make me whole. CGC seems to be playing with words such as "fair market value" to shroud their intent to make minimal disbursements for the claims in this incident.

OMFG. 

They never told me what the true grade would be. I saw my book in its correct holder as an 8.0 before it was swapped into the fraudulent holder at 9.0, I should be paid out for a 9.0, they never offered fmv just the exact money  I had paid for it   in 2019

Edited by Mdesimone

On 4/30/2024 at 1:36 PM, Tnexus said:

What would you say the percentage is between your FMV and theirs?

Based on GPA, I would say the delta between their FMV estimate and CGC's is roughly 40% to 50%, which is still under what I paid for the books considering market value at the time, shipping costs, buyers premium, etc. However, I have attached a screenshot for you to make your own assessment. The books referenced by CGC in the screenshot were both purchased as holdered and believed to be a grade of 9.8

CGCTamperingIncidentOffer.jpg

On 4/30/2024 at 5:54 PM, silent06 said:

Based on GPA, I would say the delta between their FMV estimate and CGC's is roughly 40% to 50%, which is still under what I paid for the books considering market value at the time, shipping costs, buyers premium, etc. However, I have attached a screenshot for you to make your own assessment. The books referenced by CGC in the screenshot were both purchased as holdered and believed to be a grade of 9.8

I mean that looks like CGC is offering 110% with taxes of current eBay prices. I think that's pretty fair. If you bought replacement books today you'd bet probably $250 of current prices.

On 4/30/2024 at 5:34 PM, Tnexus said:

I mean that looks like CGC is offering 110% with taxes of current eBay prices. I think that's pretty fair. If you bought replacement books today you'd bet probably $250 of current prices.

Both GPA and GoCollect reference Ebay sales for their respective assessments of FMV, so I am not sure how you arrived at CGC providing and offering a valuation of 110% with taxes of current Ebay prices

On 4/30/2024 at 3:55 PM, silent06 said:

Both GPA and GoCollect reference Ebay sales for their respective assessments of FMV, so I am not sure how you arrived at CGC providing and offering a valuation of 110% with taxes of current Ebay prices

Maybe they mistakenly offered you regular compensation instead of newsstand?

On 4/30/2024 at 5:54 PM, silent06 said:

Were these newsstand or tatooz versions? Or rather were they supposed to be?

Edited by Panda2

They just offered me close enough to FMV after I declined the first offer

On 4/30/2024 at 4:56 PM, Mdesimone said:

They just offered me close enough to FMV after I declined the first offer

Would you call it a happy ending? Will you buy another copy of the book?