• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2024 at 9:52 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I don't put this solely on greed.

Greed would be overcharging for a necessity simply to produce higher profits.

What's going on here is a weird mix of greed and incompetence. Grading comics is about the farthest thing from a necessity as you can get. Which, for most companies in this area, means that there is a strict adherence to putting out the best quality, best value on customers return and instilling future confidence to ensure your product psychologically stays in that part of the brain that says "you need to slab your books!"

CGC has stumbled past this entire philosophy during the constant changes of ownership in search for higher profits, and is now bearing the fruits of these missteps.

Damnit....I thought I had it nailed.  Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. (worship)(worship)(worship)

On 2/3/2024 at 10:22 AM, Galen130 said:

Damnit....I thought I had it nailed.  Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. (worship)(worship)(worship)

It was a joint effort on both our parts!

tumblr_ni1iv52cXI1r7dsp2o1_400.gif.02a934cc4c45191bdaf075bc51bfb2b4.gif

On 2/3/2024 at 11:04 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

So does CGC not have cameras that cover the entire "secured facility"?

In fairness to CGC, cameras can be a proactive visual deterrent, but they are typically reactive in terms of viewing the footage.  It could have been months before a single book was even known to be missing.  It's very possible that all the books were stolen in the timeframe before even the first theft was investigated by reviewing camera footage.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 2/3/2024 at 10:33 AM, Galen130 said:

9DBA01FD-DFE4-4EC7-83EC-6F01A4651D47.gif.6a44be9d93f8895bb49b5628d5a635f4.gif

Sadly, I’ll have to admit to being Silent Bob in this scenario - that’s about the only famous character I resemble anymore. lol

On 2/3/2024 at 11:54 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Sadly, I’ll have to admit to being Silent Bob in this scenario - that’s about the only famous character I resemble anymore. lol

Well, I sure as hell ain't Jay.  :roflmao:

On 2/2/2024 at 7:06 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

If CGC were a cartel they could require all of their employees to work in the nude.

Haha. On a serious note, there should be no bags, backpacks, purses, etc allowed in any room that has books. Employees should have a locker room where they can secure their bags. Body cavity searches would probably be unnecessary because we all know what that would do to the grade that no clean and press would ever fix. 

On 2/3/2024 at 1:06 PM, Yorick said:

Did anyone suggest that this was only found because of the investigation into swap-gate?  When I know where to look for a rat, I usually find a few more...

The timeline doesn't indicate that.  CGC investigators were interviewing the accused months before the swap-gate concerns were brought up.

When I first saw the court filing naming the defendants yesterday (Brandon and Ayana Terrazas), I looked them both up on Social Media out of curiousity. Found 'em...but then both their profiles were deleted later in the day. Probably getting bombarded by lots of angry collectors! :tonofbricks:

I'm still scratching my head as to how this guy thought he could just keep stealing other peoples comics in the grading process and then sell them publicly and get away with it.  It's so obvious you're eventually going to raise suspicions and get caught.  Not exactly a criminal mastermind we're dealing with here.

As far as why pursue litigation... in the case of CGC it makes sense to me.  Their entire business is centered around the certification of valuable collectibles.  Seems to me one of the internal controls you'd want is to make sure all other current and future employees understand that if you break the law, you will wind up with serious civil and/or criminal consequences.  Just burying it does not give you the deterrent effect.  Frankly, it may even inspire other would-be criminals as word is very likely to get out that previous situations had barely gotten a slap on the wrist.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:20 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I'm still scratching my head as to how this guy thought he could just keep stealing other peoples comics in the grading process and then sell them publicly and get away with it.  It's so obvious you're eventually going to raise suspicions and get caught.  Not exactly a criminal mastermind we're dealing with here.

As far as why pursue litigation... in the case of CGC it makes sense to me.  Their entire business is centered around the certification of valuable collectibles.  Seems to me one of the internal controls you'd want is to make sure all other current and future employees understand that if you break the law, you will wind up with serious civil and/or criminal consequences.  Just burying it does not give you the deterrent effect.  Frankly, it may even inspire other would-be criminals as word is very likely to get out that previous situations had barely gotten a slap on the wrist.

Yeah I would think when the 1st book went missing you would be concerned about its where abouts

On 2/3/2024 at 2:03 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Haha. On a serious note, there should be no bags, backpacks, purses, etc allowed in any room that has books. Employees should have a locker room where they can secure their bags. Body cavity searches would probably be unnecessary because we all know what that would do to the grade that no clean and press would ever fix. 

First person to invent a "paper" detector is going to make a fortune!

On 2/3/2024 at 8:17 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

You could be and are wrong.

Fair enough. I just thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and that you weren't acting like a jerk for no reason.