• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

667 posts in this topic

Comicwiz put some of the key points into his journal "Who Watches the Watchmen".

Interesting that they allegedly engaged in DUPLICATE labels of legitimate books.  hm  Now I have to go back to my spreadsheets and check if I've bought anything from these people.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just got a panicked email from an Ebay buyer of a run-of-the-mill X-Men book in 9.2 worried that the slab had been opened because of the play/flex in the 2nd gen slabs. Ugh. Thanks CGC for the confidence you are instilling in people who have your books. Now people think that $100 9.2s are being opened with heat guns.

What makes you think they aren't?  If they weren't before, you don't think this has spawned imitators?

On 2/1/2024 at 3:40 PM, kimik said:

Hopefully this means more people stop slabbing so I can have faster turnaround times this year.

I am happy they caught them and would not be surprised that more of this was happening during the 2021-2022 bubble peak. So many books coming in, have to staff up fast, and prices spiking is a perfect storm.

They both began working in 2022

IMG_7577.jpeg

On 2/1/2024 at 3:48 PM, NWOslave said:

just as an aside, i dont know who runs the facebook group for cgc fans but if you are in here, why you keep deleting posts if the subject is being talked about on the official forums?

He's on the Boards. 

On 2/1/2024 at 1:17 PM, blazingbob said:

While I agree there are always going to be people inside and outside the business that will try to scam the system.  

Clearly there is a breakdown or lack of security follow ups on employees that sell books.  Now while they may have gotten permission to sell books it is obvious that what they are selling is not checked by the company.  I'm assuming that going forward that will not be the case because frankly these two employees are ruining CGC's business reputation on integrity.       

For me I've had issue with "Consultants" who come in and grade and also sell books.    

Makes sense. Yeah I have to assume standards and practices will change going forward.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, blazingbob said:

While I agree there are always going to be people inside and outside the business that will try to scam the system.  

Clearly there is a breakdown or lack of security follow ups on employees that sell books.  Now while they may have gotten permission to sell books it is obvious that what they are selling is not checked by the company.  I'm assuming that going forward that will not be the case because frankly these two employees are ruining CGC's business reputation on integrity.       

For me I've had issue with "Consultants" who come in and grade and also sell books.    

their whole process start to finish is in question, not just policing employees selling on the side.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:34 PM, shadroch said:

What makes you think they aren't?  If they weren't before, you don't think this has spawned imitators?

I think there are definitely imitators - but not on $100-$200 books. The hassle factor would be pointless even to the dumbest of scammers:

Buy $100 9.2

Replace it with a $80 9.0

Re-sub removed 9.2 for $35+shipping

Sell new 9.2 for $100

Not enough in there to bother with the risk, I don’t think.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:22 PM, atomised said:

an issue that surfaces

"an issue"?  Like singular?  Have you not been paying attention the last few years?  The way the thread below has blown up in the last few years was enough to put into question CGC's quality.

Then there was acetategate and the complete fumbling of how that was handled.

And of course the most recent one being the issue with the slabs.  I'm sure I'm missing some in between, but the last 3 years has been disastrous as far as degrading trust in the product/brand.  This current incident isn't anything new, it's just the latest in a string of issues.