• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discussion II : Byrne Boogaloo

25 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2024 at 12:00 PM, DougC said:

I don't have any Byrne stories so I will wait until the Neal Adams thread, Shooter thread, or the Stuart Sayger thread.

The topic I created was for any sig series stories, but mine just happened to be about Byrne. If you have any sort of con sig stories, I’d love to hear them  

the first time i was exposed to him was at Camp Sloane in Lakeville, Connecticut as a ten- or eleven-year old nascent comic collector. I still remember telling one of my friends that I didn't like him and i can literally hear him asking incredulously, "You don't like John Byrne?"  My somewhat sheepish reply was "I don't like how he draws Mr. Fantastic."

Yeah, pretty stupid.

A couple of years later in Commons in Ithaca, NY, at a comic shop whose name is lost to the vagaries of time, I picked up a signed copy The Art of John Byrne, as by that time I had completely seen the light.  Better late than never, I guess

First autograph from the first artist at the first comicon I ever attended was Byrne. He was holding court with 4-5 guys just talking about his run at marvel and how they were undoing it (this was during the 90s just before Image boom) when I got to his table. I was crippling shy so I just got my autos & left but I always remember flipping through the stack of original art pages he had on the table & thinking “gosh, $50? $150!?!? Comicons aren’t for poor high school kids like me!” 

Little did I know if I had saved my paper money & bought 1-2 of those pages I’d probably be able to buy a new car today 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:21 PM, Sal said:

the first time i was exposed to him was at Camp Sloane in Lakeville, Connecticut as a ten- or eleven-year old nascent comic collector. I still remember telling one of my friends that I didn't like him and i can literally hear him asking incredulously, "You don't like John Byrne?"  My somewhat sheepish reply was "I don't like how he draws Mr. Fantastic."

Yeah, pretty stupid.

A couple of years later in Commons in Ithaca, NY, at a comic shop whose name is lost to the vagaries of time, I picked up a signed copy The Art of John Byrne, as by that time I had completely seen the light.  Better late than never, I guess

Gotta be Comics for Collectors. Tim has been there forever. I had a great experience back-issue shopping. Worth a visit if you’re ever in Ithaca.

I remember this cover from the newsstand and how I couldn't wrap my head around Byrne's depiction of lighting. All I knew was that Spidey looked super cool and I really wanted to know who that mummy dude was.

as189-1.jpg.7761df0276725ad73bb1669019a0ef7b.jpg

On 3/20/2024 at 9:07 PM, ganni said:

John gets front seat in X-men'97 special thanks department:popcorn:

xmen97.thumb.jpg.f23133f7cf767131b97af76a7c82ce8e.jpg

You'd think it'd be Jim Lee. 

I signed up to the Byrne boards around 2005ish, and just joined in on conversations. He has a thing about needing to use your real name, and I didn't want anyone searching my real name and connecting me to comics (I was young and stupid, what can I say?) so I used a fake name. Fake, but plausible, and close to real. 

My love for Byrne was primarily his legendary Uncanny X-Men run. I didn't like his Fantastic Four work, funnily enough, despite being a huge FF fan, something about it just doesn't work for me, but of course I'd never say that, I'd never be rude to him directly, that'd be crass. Anyway a discussion was going about something, and the topic got to comparisons between his current work (which I think might have been Doom Patrol at the time, MIGHT have been) vs his old stuff like X-Men. He declared that NO FAN of his prefers his X-Men work to his current work. I politely posted and said that actually, i do prefer the old work, and gave my reasons to back up my case. BAM! INSTABAN!! Followed by mocking from both Byrne and other posters how I was just a troll, how I was never even a Byrne fan. 

That really put me off the guy. That plus his later comments which we've all heard really soured me on him, and his attitude on the forum was later absolutely atrocious towards others. So the only Byrne work I buy is his X-Men work, and West Coast Avengers, which is for completion, I don't like the story. I prefer a Vision with feelings, and feel he really did the character wrong, misunderstanding them. Oh, and the first Hellboy story, which he did dialogue for. I'm not that big into Hellboy yet though. I need to read some more as it hasn't grabbed me yet. 

His work on Uncanny X-Men is incredible. Those pencils are so beautiful. The story they told so intense. Just wow. 

But otherwise, no thanks. 

On 3/20/2024 at 9:07 PM, ganni said:

John gets front seat in X-men'97 special thanks department:popcorn:

xmen97.thumb.jpg.f23133f7cf767131b97af76a7c82ce8e.jpg

Oh nevermind, it's just in alphabetical order.