• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

357 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 3:40 PM, Matt1982 said:

This book has two signatures - one witnessed and one unwitnessed. They could do something like this as people have said, that uses two colors - here there's a stripe across the top. It wouldn't make sense to keep using green, since that will still be associated with Qualified books. Maybe a darker orange?

That said, my preference would be to stick with a yellow label, and then just notate it. For example, with this book it could say, "Signed by Frank Miller on 10/15/23; Verified Signature by David Mazzucchelli."

DD233.thumb.jpg.040c803b0eb85b799cb7d4bbdf4209bf.jpg

I completely agree

On 3/22/2024 at 8:09 PM, Dr Zen said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Kirby at a convention in 1986. I got a half a dozen books signed. I never considered submitting them before. I am very much considering it now.

Fantastic Four 48c.jpg

PURDY

New terms and policies you're asked to agree to by CCG.  Just a quick find if you didn't read it yourself and you just click right through...

"The Services provided by NGC, PMG, CGC, and ASG are covered by the NGC Guarantee, the PMG Guarantee, the CGC Guarantee, and the ASG Guarantee, respectively, set forth on their respective websites (the “Guarantees”), the terms of which are incorporated herein by reference. Customer should refer to the appropriate corresponding Guarantee (NGC, PMG, CGC, or ASG) to understand the benefits and protections afforded to Customer, as well as the applicable limitations. NGC’s, PMG’s, CGC’s, and ASG’s sole and exclusive liability and Customer’s sole and exclusive remedy for NGC’s, PMG’s, CGC’s, or ASG’s failure to comply with its obligations under Section 12 above shall be pursuant to the appropriate corresponding Guarantee. Important Note: The Services provided by JSA (e.g., authentication of unwitnessed signatures) are not guaranteed."

JSA services are not guaranteed.  I'm not saying anything, good or bad, about this service.  Just pointing this out for the peeps that clicked through it.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:56 PM, lostboys said:

So CGC is acquiring the authenticating team?

And when they all eventually leave to start their own company?

CGC gonna train people to authenticate sigs?

Frightening.

It's probably already been said but they are really just buying the signature database.  With properly trained AI, they won't really need to retain or train a whole batch of new authenticators.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:04 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

YES.

Now I can resend my ASM 1 with the "Stan Lee written on cover" and maybe get the right MFing grade on it.

and my AF15 with the "Stan Lee written in pen on first page" and maybe get a grade bump! :whee:

On 3/26/2024 at 3:17 PM, wombat said:

They don't care. Yellow will make them more money. 

Not necessarily true. I actually don't expect JSA signatures to be labeled the same way as witnessed signatures in part because that would immensely devalue their in-house signings, and lower the market appeal of any witnessed slabs dated after the JSA acquisition.

What does this do to autograph pricing from comic creators at conventions?  Most if not all already charge a premium for witnessed sigs.  Most I've been to will do free unwitnessed signatures...and I would expect that if jsa book find a premium price, free sigs will go away.

On 3/26/2024 at 5:20 PM, IceHole said:

What does this do to autograph pricing from comic creators at conventions?  Most if not all already charge a premium for witnessed sigs.  Most I've been to will do free unwitnessed signatures...and I would expect that if jsa book find a premium price, free sigs will go away.

Doesn't jsa do this already? Wouldn't that have already had an impact?

On 3/26/2024 at 4:39 PM, Qalyar said:

Not necessarily true. I actually don't expect JSA signatures to be labeled the same way as witnessed signatures in part because that would immensely devalue their in-house signings, and lower the market appeal of any witnessed slabs dated after the JSA acquisition.

My guess is they are thinking of the thousands and thousands of unwitnessed sigs out there more than they are thinking about anything else. 

On 3/26/2024 at 5:20 PM, IceHole said:

Authenticating aint free, and may cost more than a witnessed sig. so it brings you back to the same situation we currently have where you pay the artist only for a witnessed sig.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:07 PM, Neo "The One" said:

Gold would be nice.

already the label for pedigree books

my bet is this will also be yellow but the notation on the label will tell you if it has been witnessed or authenticated 

Edited by William-James88

You are paying JSA (just like Voldemort) for a best guess signature authenticity evaluation on a non-witness signature after the fact in which many days, years, or decades have passed. 

Number one reason for CGC to do this is to try to put Voldemort out of business and slowly funnel all the normal submissions from them to CGC, which this is the first step.  Next and last step is for CGC to pull a WWE and buy WCW then all comics will now be graded by the CGC again. (insert evil laugh)

CGC actually witnessed Yellow labels will more than likely still command higher prices at auction then JSA verified Yellow Labels.  However JSA verified yellow labels will still do way better  at auction than their old CGC Green Qualified labels (once people resubmit them) and will command higher prices than the verified labels from Voldemort.

I think we can all agree if you can choose between lets say:

A. Spawn #1 CGC 9.8 WP signed by Todd McFarlane (CGC witness)

B. Spawn #1 CGC 9.8 WP signed by Todd McFarlane (JSA Verified)

A will usually be the preferred choice to spend your money on

JSA's will do well when it comes to John Byrne, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, etc..

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Wolverine 27 CGC SS 9.8 Jim Lee 7/90 Newsstand Ed NM/M Iconic Cover WP  - Picture 1 of 9

Can we all agree Jim Lee has the most embarrassing signature in the hobby today?

I didn't know he has 2 M's in his name.   What a joke of paying his going rate for his signature and you get that slop. He literally signs your books in an assembly line fashion.

How will JSA verify the real from the easy to forge fakes ones? lol    Good Lord.  Anyone can sign their name like that.  All you have to do is scribble like a 5 year old.

Now the Todd-father, there is a true signature that at least when he takes your $100 at CGC he spends more than a millisecond on your book.

Spawn #1 CGC SS 9.8 signed by Todd McFarlane 1992 IMAGE COMICS Custom CGC Label - Picture 1 of 2

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I don't feel any signatures outside of CGC Signature Series (witnessed) should get the yellow label.  In their announcement, CCG/CGC specifically distinguished the difference between JSA authentication and CGC Signature Series - in other words, they made a point to remind everyone which one is witnessed directly and which one is not.  One shouldn't have to look at the fine print on a yellow label to figure out if it was JSA authentication or actually witnessed.  The slab's label color itself should tell you right off the bat what the book is all about.  Adding JSA authentication to the yellow label series at minimum dilutes the integrity of the yellow label.  JSA authentication should get its own label color.  

Spoiler

CCG is the parent company who bought?

So it means things other than comics?

I'm rich!

IMG_20240327_190957651~2.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM