• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The JSA acquisition is going to be a game changer for Signed non witnessed books
4 4

87 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2024 at 2:05 PM, Ron C. said:

So, my 9.8 Green (Name written on cover) slabs all have to be regraded?

Correct. I will now get reviewed by JSA for authentication.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:02 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Is this where I am supposed to post that I do not like that they are using yellow for witnessed and unwitnessed JSA books? Ok cool.

Well witnessed or not, isn't the purpose of the yellow label to show that the autograph is certified authentic? 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:29 AM, DELTA 62 said:

What you described above is not how CGC Signature Series works let alone how CGC witnesses work.  First of all, CGC Signature Series doesn't have to be at every con for a book to qualify for the yellow label / Signature Series.  That's why they have a network of approved CGC Signature Series facilitators that work various cons / private signings.  A facilitator, however, can't witness the signatures themselves - that's the role and literal job of the approved CGC witness.  A facilitator has to have an approved CGC witness work with them per event.  A CGC witness just doesn't get approved to witness an event without working with a facilitator or CGC themselves (if they are at the event).  If the Eastman books were signed privately away from the crowd, that's fine as long as the approved CGC witness was present for the signing and that there was an approved CGC Signature Series facilitator working that event.  That scenario isn't uncommon.  But if CGC's Signature Series process wasn't followed for the book you posted, then CGC Signature Series needs to investigate what happened.  

For my $.02, I don't feel any signatures outside of CGC Signature Series should get the yellow label.  In their posting, CGC specifically distinguished the difference between JSA authentication and CGC Signature Series - in other words, they made a point to remind everyone which one is witnessed directly and which one is not.  One shouldn't have to look at the fine print on a yellow label to figure out if it was JSA authentication or not.  The book's label color itself should tell you right off the bat what the book is all about.  In my humble opinion, adding JSA authentication to the yellow label series at minimum dilutes the integrity of the yellow label.  JSA authentication should get its own label color.  

I 💯 agree with this post. Its an obvious money grab to conjure up more business. You get a yellow label, you get one and now you get one. Those that paid to get the real deal are left holding the bag here as CGC devalued their own product…

Also JSA is not the industry leader.  They have always been a joke as they authentic any and everythiny. Id say PSA is the king and always will be.

Hi. I have a book that was signed in 1988 that I'd like to get verified. Is there anything else I can provide besides the book itself to help with JSA verification? For example, a letter from the owner of my local comic shop who organized and was present for the event? Or a photograph from that event? Thanks.

Sorry if it's been asked and I missed it, but what about a personalized signature?  Will it still be authenticated the same or with the personalization get dinged when being authenticated by JSA?

I wonder how this will affect Regular Signature Submissions.

If an artist is at a con doing a regular signing at desk for one price and a special CGC private signing at a different higher price do you think it affect regular

On 5/9/2024 at 12:05 PM, Ares said:

I wonder how this will affect Regular Signature Submissions.

If an artist is at a con doing a regular signing at desk for one price and a special CGC private signing at a different higher price do you think it affect regular

It is "possible" I suppose, could be considered by the competition slabbing companies that fee is already established, but I wouldn't blame nor put it past anyone to use it as a "reason" to do so. :cheers: 

On 5/9/2024 at 12:00 PM, stewdude24 said:

Sorry if it's been asked and I missed it, but what about a personalized signature?  Will it still be authenticated the same or with the personalization get dinged when being authenticated by JSA?

It has been asked, but I don't believe answered @MattM CS

• Administrator
On 5/9/2024 at 12:30 PM, nboyle123 said:

Hi. I have a book that was signed in 1988 that I'd like to get verified. Is there anything else I can provide besides the book itself to help with JSA verification? For example, a letter from the owner of my local comic shop who organized and was present for the event? Or a photograph from that event? Thanks.

Nothing else is needed other than the book. COAs photos, or other materials to show as evidence are not needed for this service. In many cases these extra items are not returned after authentication so be sure to keep them for your records. 

• Administrator

Also @nboyle123,

I saw you also emailed in. If you have any other questions, please reply to the review email you receive shortly and let me know. Thanks! 

• Administrator
On 5/7/2024 at 5:05 PM, Ron C. said:

So, my 9.8 Green (Name written on cover) slabs all have to be regraded?

If you would like these to be receive a CGCxJSA authenticated signature, the books will need to be resubmitted through a grading tier. This service is not available for reholder submissions. 

What does this mean?

JSA does not authenticate aftermarket sketches. If the autograph is authentic, and it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label. If the autograph is not genuine, the comic will receive the CGC Universal blue label. In all scenarios, the label text and grader notes will indicate the outcome of JSA’s evaluation and state that a sketch is present on the comic.

I guess I have to wait and see qualified samples to know.
Ugh.

On 5/10/2024 at 2:30 PM, cmixer said:

What does this mean?

JSA does not authenticate aftermarket sketches. If the autograph is authentic, and it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label. If the autograph is not genuine, the comic will receive the CGC Universal blue label. In all scenarios, the label text and grader notes will indicate the outcome of JSA’s evaluation and state that a sketch is present on the comic.

I guess I have to wait and see qualified samples to know.
Ugh.

I would hope that CGC/JSA would authenticate the signature as that of George Perez. Since the sharpie on the front has made markings on what would otherwise be a 9.8 book, hopefully the other marker additions would not decrease the grade. I am looking forward to seeing how CGC interprets this. @MattM CS

George Perez Hulk 2012 Kurt Michael 2017.gif

On 5/11/2024 at 6:29 AM, Ron C. said:

I would hope that CGC/JSA would authenticate the signature as that of George Perez. Since the sharpie on the front has made markings on what would otherwise be a 9.8 book, hopefully the other marker additions would not decrease the grade. I am looking forward to seeing how CGC interprets this. @MattM CS

George Perez Hulk 2012 Kurt Michael 2017.gif

Likewise. Would love to get this with the new label.

Screenshot_20240506_202009_eBay.jpg

On 5/9/2024 at 12:35 PM, MattM CS said:

Also @nboyle123,

I saw you also emailed in. If you have any other questions, please reply to the review email you receive shortly and let me know. Thanks! 

Thank you for the response and attention! I appreciate the insights. It has a green slab already so I will resubmit through a grading tier.

It looks on the like the submission form, all I have to select is CGC Grading > Authentication & Grading > JSA Autograph Authentication Add On.