• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Just Graded 9.9. It Begins.....
7 7

369 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2024 at 7:56 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm struggling to see how a sudden, drastic change in grading rules for the sole purpose of higher grades, more publicity and more income can equate to "the standard".

Agreed.  And that's my point.  It's all about trust.  When that goes, all bets are off.

This may be a dumb question at this point, but did they officially announce a grading change? I remember reading about 9.9 prescreens but I couldn't find anything official about it.

Posted (edited)

This in no way accounts for the sheer numbers of increase nearly half a year in and already tripled.

When past years valiantman has said the most 9.9' s and 10's etc. were mostly your Last Ronin's and that Batman Wang issue.

So this isn't defense, but worth mentioning 😕 I think....

When they did the video for the reholder issue with Matt Nelson? And maybe this is the subtext I'm missing as I don't recall? Did one of the YouTubers on the vid with Matt say that he had like a lot of wolverine limited he held back as cgc gave out those grades sparingly? And Matt said something like, "I'll have to look into that?"

Might explain the one book perhaps but not why there are more half a year in than a ratio or percentage for 20+ years. If this is all the subtext that is vague in my memory then disregard lol

It is just hard to be aware of everything all the time. Especially as I think that video was 45 minutes long haha

Maybe I could revisit those threads if I have time, but will probably just listen to y'all. :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Posted (edited)

I want to say the YouTuber was Newsstand guy, no harm no foul. But if we're starting a new thread from scratch idk if prudent to run the bases for a refresher lol

There is just a lot when you think about it. I'm not saying good nor bad sigh. :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/1/2024 at 4:55 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I want my 9.9s but, more so, my 10s.

:dollars: :151549297_waiting3: :(

Figure we’ll see the 10.0 pre-screen sometime in 2027.

image.gif.905cd7bae0839e54e9c6130196b15ed6.gif

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 9:54 PM, Telegan said:

I don't know if it's been posted already, but check out this snippet of an interview with Matt Nelson (full interview apparently comes out tomorrow) :

Here's the entire interview posted earlier today :

Edited by Telegan

On 5/31/2024 at 7:54 PM, Telegan said:

I don't know if it's been posted already, but check out this snippet of an interview with Matt Nelson (full interview apparently comes out tomorrow) :

I guess that explains this book I have had returned twice now and had to make a clarification(and discount) to my ad for the obvious spine tick:

ls1c.thumb.webp.ccada24b6614ec145a067d1d03cf172c.webp

:censored:

On 6/1/2024 at 12:58 PM, Telegan said:

Here's the entire interview posted earlier today :

Good interview!

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 11:54 AM, october said:

From the dawn of CGC until a month ago: 28 total CGC 9.9 Wolverine 1 minis out of 28,000 subs. So basically 1/1000. 

Last month to this month: 10 newly slabbed 9.9 Wolverine 1 minis. 

That's esentially statistically impossible without a change in grading standards and a conscious push to move the effective top of the scale from 9.8 to 9.9. 

Good luck to the guys collecting top census common books. lol

Finally CGC is waking the :censored: up!

Obviously this should have happened 10-15 years ago!

The number should be so much higher on that common book.

Pick most of all the post 1975 keys.  ASM 300, NM 98, GSX #1, Hulk #181 etc

More more more 9.9's and 10.0's!!!!  Screenshot2024-06-03at8_27_22PM.thumb.png.269d8e4f62d276ae803a532bbe59a05e.png

Let's look above at ASM #300.

Really only only 10 CGC 9.9's? and ZERO CGC 10's?  w/almost 1900 9.8's!

Get the :censored: outa here lol

By today's date there should be a minimum of 5-10 CGC 10's and over 100+ CGC 9.9's.

There are too many really strong 9.8's that should be considered in a higher grade.

To not see more of those fun Gold Numbers in the marketplace has been a real bummer for the hobby and submitters for years.

Finally things are starting to make sense with their grading scale. 

Full steam ahead I say!

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Posted (edited)

Screenshot2024-06-03at8_37_08PM.thumb.png.46fcd499cf5da06ce8653433a99205cf.png

So it seems some in the hobby are up in arms about CGC adding 10 CGC 9.9's last month to the census.

With this book still many thousands away from it's true CGC overall census number, only having 41 copies in CGC 9.9 and 4 in CGC 10.0 is still so low its absurd.

We have over 5000 copies in CGC 9.8, and many 100's yet to come in the coming years.

The current 10.0 census number should be closer to the current 9.9 number, and the current 9.9 number should be 410 not 41!

The book is so common in High Grade, and there are so many CGC 9.8's that should be sitting in 9.9/10.0 holders asap!

This had better be the start of the 9.9 and 10.0's explosion of 1975-now books.

Everyone wins! (well except the buyer of first ones hahahahahhahaha)

Those people who bought the first DVD players or HD TV's knew there were overpaying, why feel sorry for them.  Same goes here.

I hope CGC adds 50 more CGC 9.9's and 5 CGC 10.0's here in June!

However, I suspect a slow process getting the standard subs, resubs and reviews to add more to the census on all possible 1975-1999 books in 9.9/10.0.  Slow get the submission money is better for them long-term.  That's the smart play if I were them.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/3/2024 at 8:57 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Screenshot2024-06-03at8_37_08PM.thumb.png.46fcd499cf5da06ce8653433a99205cf.png

So it seems some in the hobby are up in arms about CGC adding 10 CGC 9.9's last month to the census.

With this book still many thousands away from it's true CGC overall census number, only having 41 copies in CGC 9.9 and 4 in CGC 10.0 is still so low its absurd.

We have over 5000 copies in CGC 9.8, and many 100's yet to come in the coming years.

The current 10.0 census number should be closer to the current 9.9 number, and the current 9.9 number should be 410 not 41!

The book is so common in High Grade, and there are so many CGC 9.8's that should be sitting in 9.9/10.0 holders asap!

This had better be the start of the 9.9 and 10.0's explosion of 1975-now books.

Everyone wins! (well except the buyer of first ones hahahahahhahaha)

Those people who bought the first DVD players or HD TV's knew there were overpaying, why feel sorry for them.  Same goes here.

except everyone that owns a 9.8

BTW, what is the probability of having subbed 1 Wolverine #1 and 1 ASM #300 and getting 9.9 on both? :banana:

On 6/3/2024 at 9:07 PM, paperheart said:

except everyone that owns a 9.8

BTW, what is the probability of having subbed 1 Wolverine #1 and 1 ASM #300 and getting 9.9 on both? :banana:

Mike the CGC 9.8's for example on WLS #1 would have a small effect, but nothing drastic.  CGC 9.8's wont become the old CGC 9.6 price.

Most people will not shell out money for a CGC 9.9 so CGC 9.8's will still be in high demand, especially if CGC 9.9 arent always available at auction.

Always a chance my friend. I got (2) New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9's on the same invoice before back in 2016. (shrug)  BTW I did grade them both at 9.9 or 10.0 so I was not shocked.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Mike the CGC 9.8's for example on WLS #1 would have a small effect, but nothing drastic.  CGC 9.8's wont become the old CGC 9.6 price.

Most people will not shell out money for a CGC 9.9 so CGC 9.8's will still be in high demand, especially if CGC 9.9 arent always available at auction.

Always a chance my friend. I got (2) New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9's on the same invoice before back in 2016. (shrug)  BTW I did grade them both at 9.9 or 10.0 so I was not shocked.

In the video around the 20 min mark - Matt actually talks about Wolvie 1 and ASM 300 specifically and why one is more likely to have 9.9/10.0