• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP MD Bright
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Comic artist MD Bright, most famous for his Iron Man run and his iconic Transformers #5 cover for Marvel, passed away last week at age 68, it has been confirmed. 

May he rest in peace, and condolences to his family and friends.

Sad news.

Really good artist. Followed him on Green Lantern and Milestone’s Icon, through the 90s in particular.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Possibly a bit sedated today, as I completely forgot that he was on Iron Man during the period when he used the Silver Centurion armour, one of my favourite designs, and through into the classic Armor Wars storyline.

:facepalm:

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/2/2024 at 6:18 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

One of the best comic covers of all time, and a personal favorite since first seen by these young eyes long ago.

Rest in peace to an awesome artist and wishing peace to his family.

Transformers5.jpg

Agreed. Between this being the 5th issue of what we all thought was a 4 issue limited series and this AMAZING cover, we were absolutely floored as kids when this came out. There will be no 9.9 pre-screen for the copy we had as it got traded back and forth. I hope my friend Chris still has it. He's the last one I remember having it in his possession. RIP Mr Bright.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:18 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

One of the best comic covers of all time, and a personal favorite since first seen by these young eyes long ago.

Rest in peace to an awesome artist and wishing peace to his family.

Transformers5.jpg

I’ve never seen that before. Great cover.

On 4/3/2024 at 5:24 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Announced on Hasbro Pulse. Coincidence? 

Screenshot_20240402_152355_Facebook.jpg

Yeah, this isn't it's first announcement, they showed it off a few weeks ago, including in the iconic 'ARE ALL DEAD' pose. Just bad timing putting it up today. Hasbro probably doesn't even know who did the cover for them now. 

I greatly enjoyed his work on Iron Man, I wish Armour Wars had a more deluxe collection than just the tpb I've had for years. They should do Deluxe Editions like DC does. AW is perfect for one. 

I forgot to list his Green Lantern work. I loved his art on Emerald Dawn 1 and 2. The stories were a bit so-so, I could never figure out if I thought they were fitting backstory for Hal or not, but Bright's art was their definite highlight. Sad for him that they'll never get reprinted again, but oh well, that's the risk you take with collaboration, I guess. At least there were tpbs done around 2002, which I have, and will be treating extra well. They're not my favourite stories, but I'm glad to have them, you know? 

RIP MD.  Sad I never got to meet him.  I was a massive Iron Man guy during his run and really loved the work he did with Priest on Valiant's Quantum and Woody.  A really good artist - the kind that when you picked up a book and saw his name in the credits, you knew it'd be solid work.

(And sign of aging but man, 68 feels so young...)