• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard Magazine question

28 posts in this topic

Hello, I know this may be a long shot, but does anyone recall the Wizard Magazine issue where they talked about the great comic covers of all time?

I have tried Google searching...everything.  I just hope someone may know, I would appreciate it!

Yes! I did see that post…..but I was trying to figure out what issue it came from……I’d love to have it again.

but thanks to you post, I think the issue was later in the Wizard run, in the hundreds I think. I’m still looking but if anyone can help, I would be so grateful.

thanks!

On 4/16/2024 at 12:20 PM, wardevil0 said:

According to mycomicshop advanced search, it's Wizard 127.

image.thumb.png.48ea127b72bdf4b6bcb3edd3117d7e87.png

On 4/16/2024 at 12:25 PM, littlebull said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

If anyone's interested, the monthly Wizard Top Ten lists (1991 to 2010) are archived on WizardTopTen.com :gossip:

Edited by valiantman

On 4/16/2024 at 7:32 PM, valiantman said:

If anyone's interested, the monthly Wizard Top Ten lists (1991 to 2010) are archived on WizardTopTen.com :gossip:

Prophet #4 with the Platt cover - man, that was awesome.  It is kind of hilarious looking back and I honestly did not remember that Wizard made it into the 2000s LOL.

Agreed - that’s why I would have bet it was gone by 2000!  Early 90s it was on my pull list too.  It was by far the easiest way to get info until I discovered the rec.arts newsgroups.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:30 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Wizard - aside from the underhanded price manipulation - was such a great publication in pre and early internet days. The excitement for each new issue was palpable back in the day. I distinctly remember trying to *not* read the entire issue the day it came out so I would leave something to read for the next day or week. Never happened. There was no edging when it came to reading Wizard.

One of the last truly fun aspects (waiting to see what was going on in the hobby) of comics before the internet came along and changed everything. RIP Wizard.

I was about 14 when Wizard came out, so those first few years, bagged with the prism border promo cards and posters of the cover art, were just ideal in that time and circumstance.  Art competitions on the envelopes with gold Valiant comics as prizes!  Wild speculation over the secret identity of the cover artist Wittman (it was an artist under exclusive contract at the time)!  Top 10 lists, hot comics, so much to appeal to a teenage comic reader.  From a more adult perspective, I can recognize the drive to generate faux excitement over constantly fluctuating prices contributed to the speculator boom-bust as much or more than anything else, and most of the articles about movie casting calls or upcoming projects turned out to be completely baseless, but still.  At the time, Wizard really stoked excitement for comics.

632197.jpg

On 4/18/2024 at 9:21 AM, Chip Cataldo said:
On 4/16/2024 at 7:55 PM, roach04 said:

Prophet #4 with the Platt cover

He was amazing. Whatever happened to him, anyway? Is he still working?

he wasn't so bad, emm err, compared to some inside comic art today.... I think this is him...

GetImage.aspx?c=4471628&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=

On 4/19/2024 at 12:21 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

He was amazing. Whatever happened to him, anyway? Is he still working?

Check out this Boba Fett he just posted recently on Instagram. 

https://www.instagram.com/stephen___platt/p/C31nFPoLYuN/?hl=en&img_index=1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:49 PM, shadroch said:

I never cared for Wizard. I preferred my customers to buy comics, not magazines about comics.  A yearly subscription to CBG wasn't much more than two issues of Wizard and was a better investment, imo.  It struck me as a Junior Maxim. 

I was kinda the opposite - I can't tell you how many comics I upsold using Wizard between pushing Valiant, Top 10 and "Hot Books". I think it really helped the indy guys, as Marvel and DC fans started getting into independents based on reviews and "increased value" in those books. The concept of "flipping" was a lot less common without the internet, but people loved buying a book I got for $1.50 from the distributor and sold it to them for $5 and one month later it was "worth" $10.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:31 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Once I subscribed for 3 years and got an exclusive Witchblade Darkness comic. I swapped it to my local (Billings MT) for $280 in trade and that was a fun day! 

:applause:

When did you live in Billings? I had my comic shop in Great Falls up until 1996.