• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC x JSA Questions
3 3

49 posts in this topic

• Administrator

On 5/8/2024 at 9:43 AM, dbcn said:

This makes zero sense to me @MattM CS - so if there's an un-authenticated signature and a sketch on the cover it would get a blue label? Why wouldn't it get a green qualified label? 

I read this as:  say I submit a book with my best impression of a Stan Lee signature and a really good drawing of Wolverine, done by me.

If I don't select the JSA authentication, I'm going to get a green label 'Name written in pen'  - but if I pay the $25 for JSA authentication, and it fails (which hopefully it would), I'd get a blue label? ???

This is a change with our Qualified Labels. Autographed comics will no longer be encapsulated with the CGC Qualified green label or CGC Signature Series Qualified green/yellow label. Instead, comics with not genuine or unverifiable autographs will be encapsulated with the CGC Universal blue label (the label and grader notes will identify the not-genuine or unverifiable autograph) or the CGC Signature Series label (the label and grader notes will identify the not-genuine or unverifiable autograph). Please note that the CGC Qualified green label will still be used for certain other qualifying factors, such as when a sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of a comic (see above).

It would be great to understand what would make a sketch be deemed to negatively impact the grade (and hence not qualify for the new JSA label). To me, this will be THE factor on switching over from the other company going forward!

On 5/8/2024 at 10:05 AM, MattM CS said:

Autographed comics will no longer be encapsulated with the CGC Qualified green label or CGC Signature Series Qualified green/yellow label. Instead, comics with not genuine or unverifiable autographs will be encapsulated with the CGC Universal blue label

That is a huge change!  thanks for the clarification @MattM CS

How do inscriptions work in regard to authentication and grading? For example, if a book has "Excelsior! Stan Lee" or "To James, thanks! JRJR" is just the signature looked at and authenticated/graded, or are all written words looked at. If the signature is perfect, but "Excelsior!" is not, would that negatively impact the grade?

On 5/8/2024 at 9:20 AM, MattM CS said:

1. Up to 99 per book (see example of what a label like this looks like here). As a reminder each signature is $25 despite if they are all on the same book or not.  

Thanks. I had been seeing some confusion about the 2 signature limit on IG, which as I understand is just for grading them. Just wanted to make sure.

2. Not at this time. I have not heard of this being offered in the future but will send it up to the flagpole to review for possible future implementation. The one downside of this is that our team needs the book in hand to review, unfortunately. 

Understood. I think they charge $10 to review a quality photo that you submit. Its not a promise, but an opinion if it's worth sending in or not based on the likelihood of it being verified.

Would like to send some Stans in but it's expensive at $25 a pop, just to have them denied.  We'll see...

3. Each signature will be reviewed individually. If one is found to be inconclusive, fraudulent, or something like an autopen or a secretary was used to sign the item, this will be noted and can be reviewed on the certification lookup page which will have ALL the notes. This will not affect the other 9 signatures, however. If the other 9 are authentic, this will be visible on the label. 

Glad to see you're handling this different than them.  

Thanks for the response, Matt.

Posted (edited)

Hello @MattM CS!

Is it possible to have this signature verified WITHOUT having to regrade the book also?  Would rather not risk the grade of this book just for the new fancy label. Thank you!

IMG_6060.jpeg.fe7a84c9341d13569506ef0865460507.jpeg

IMG_6061.jpeg.1086d67fe76ddb29de64f8cb384f3868.jpeg

Edited by Iconic1s

• Administrator
On 5/8/2024 at 8:32 PM, Iconic1s said:

Hello @MattM CS!

Is it possible to have this signature verified WITHOUT having to regrade the book also?  Would rather not risk the grade of this book just for the new fancy label. Thank you!

Unfortunately, this service is only for books sent through grading. This is not currently being offered for reholder services. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause. 

Posted (edited)

@MattM CS I just was looking at the submission form for an upcoming in house signing, but once the signature option is selected, the only options are 'Authentication and Grading' and 'Pressing' - this implies that the in-house signing is going to be authenticated by JSA - why would anyone elect to have JSA authentication if it's an in-house witnessed signing? Would any book submitted get the black JSA bar? or is that only if there's an additional existing sig on the book?

Seems like the options should be Grading & Pressing with the add-on of JSA authentication rather than present the options as Authentication and Grading... or at least start with 'Grading' so it doesn't seem like Authentication is required... 

Edited by dbcn

On 5/9/2024 at 8:51 AM, MattM CS said:

Unfortunately, this service is only for books sent through grading. This is not currently being offered for reholder services. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause. 

Thank you @MattM CS!

You guys really should reconsider that.  Can’t see why they couldn’t “pre-screen” the sig before cracking a slab like this and then, if not authenticated, give the member the choice to have it go forward, or be returned in Qualified label.

If it’s authenticated I can’t understand why it couldn’t then be reholdered with the same grade, and with authenticated note.

Forcing a regrade on a book like this basically implies that the sig can’t be authenticated/verified without harming the book.

Just my opinion.  Thanks again!

• Administrator

Hey @dbcn

Great question! The JSA Authentication add-on is further down the submission form. This is a selectable service and ONLY needs to be added if there is an additional unverified sig already on the book. If you do not have an unverified signature on the book already you can skip that JSA AA service add-on and move straight to the Add Comic section. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused! Thanks for checking!

image.png

WITHOUT JSA AA ADDED:

image.pngimage.png

WITH JSA ADDED:

image.pngimage.png

On 5/9/2024 at 11:05 AM, MattM CS said:

This is a selectable service and ONLY needs to be added if there is an additional unverified sig already on the book.

Thx @MattM CS - I know everyone's excited about the new JSA service, but the Authentication seems like it should just be an add on to Grading, and not listed as tied to Grading under 'Primary Services'  (especially since the SS books are already 'authenticated')

my 2c, but seems confusing to have those shoved together at the top level

On 5/9/2024 at 11:49 AM, Spectre1983 said:

In order to help JSA authenticate a signature, can the submitter also include a COA that goes with the book, i.e. a Dynamic Forces COA?

COAs are easy to fake and aren't tied to any specific book. There is no value, or proof, in a COA.

• Administrator
On 5/9/2024 at 11:49 AM, Spectre1983 said:

In order to help JSA authenticate a signature, can the submitter also include a COA that goes with the book, i.e. a Dynamic Forces COA?

Hey! as @Sigur Ros stated because these are not tied to a specific book these will not be needed. Please retain this COA for your records. If this is sent in, there is no guarantee it will be returned with your submission. 

On 5/8/2024 at 12:47 PM, alphajames said:

How do inscriptions work in regard to authentication and grading? For example, if a book has "Excelsior! Stan Lee" or "To James, thanks! JRJR" is just the signature looked at and authenticated/graded, or are all written words looked at. If the signature is perfect, but "Excelsior!" is not, would that negatively impact the grade?

@MattM CS Same question, different thread, but is where it was "asked 1st" and didn't get tagged, but again I mentioned it in the post when I did tag and ask that time. Now Lord willing all questions should have a reply I believe.

image.png.b4720a3ad2d846b0a7e38817fa83f9

image.thumb.png.800e4abd18487650fc7d7c24

On 5/9/2024 at 2:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@MattM CS Same question, different thread, but is where it was "asked 1st" and didn't get tagged, but again I mentioned it in the post when I did tag and ask that time. Now Lord willing all questions should have a reply I believe.

image.png.b4720a3ad2d846b0a7e38817fa83f9

image.thumb.png.800e4abd18487650fc7d7c24

It was also a different boardie who had asked here, so I wanted to be sure to quote him. He was further up this page :) 

@MattM CS,

Still interested in a clarification on this:

"If this book was submitted and the autograph is authentic, but it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label."

What determines the negative impact?

Posted (edited)

IMO, CGC is missing an opportunity by not also including an "Art" or "Sketch" option with both their Witnessed and JSA programs. There are quite a few awesome sketch covers that for some reason or another just can't get a higher grade. CGC already offers a NG option/scenario for sketch covers that have major flaws. I know that I would much prefer my sketch cover with multiple ink marks that is witnessed or JSA verified to be "Sketch" or "Art" than to be a graded 7.0.  @MattM CS

Edited by Ron C.

Hey there! I have a book on the way to you guys for the jsa authentication. I also added the custom nyc Spidey label. Can it be put on there with the new black and yellow label?