• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heard that a LCS had some GA books so went to have a look
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2024 at 5:24 PM, 1950's war comics said:

better than anything my LCS has... heck my LCS barely even has any SA

I’m sure this store rarely gets this stuff but at least he bought it.  I suspect a lot of LCS pass on this unless it’s almost free

I wish I collected them more. The one I frequent in Albuquerque, Age of Comics, has a nice wall display and a secret "Danger Room" of top tiered slabs. I say at least 25% of them are Golden Age. It seems they get in plenty every few weeks or so. Most don't last long. Example, they got in a bunch of L. B. Cole war comics two months back and they were gone within a week or so. 

On 6/4/2024 at 2:09 AM, grendelbo said:

The one I frequent in Albuquerque, Age of Comics, has a nice wall display and a secret "Danger Room"

By all accounts the proprietors make a decent living.......:insane:

Spoiler

HD wallpaper: breaking bad bryan cranston aaron paul walter white jessie  pinkman dollars blood suits money | Wallpaper Flare

The store is out of town in a nearby small city. We had a very nice visit with the proprietor and his significant other and it turns out they had a history with another comic store owner who has since gone out of business. There was a time we considered buying that comic store but the owner wanted far too much.

I bought a Hulk #108 that I needed for the run of #102-200 in VF or better that I am working on, and a Conan 1:500 I had never seen before. I am down to needing only 12 more books to finish my Hulk run what were the odds this store had a VF or better Hulk I actually needed?

I am certain we will go back one day, maybe we will buy the one GA book @thehumantorch did leave which was a very rough Detective Comics.

:applause: Congrats!

I need to start hitting up out-of-the-way towns.  I used to take road trips to small towns to eat and wander around their "antique shops", but never really bought anything.  It was more like a trip through time for me, and I found that fun.  I did find some comics once that I bought, but they were all from the 70s and 80s from what I recall and had some X-Men in it.  Nothing like a Golden Age haul.  Ah well.... one day... some day...

On 6/3/2024 at 4:53 PM, thehumantorch said:

There were a number of Supermans and while some I liked more than others it  just didn't feel right to leave some behind.  This wasn't cheap, think I paid $300 cnd for it, but after buying books from the US and paying exchange and shipping and duty I've started trying to buy locally.

superman52-330.thumb.jpg.8e1eaf9b6e4c2c38eb2b00b81dc4502d.jpg

Great pickups! Love Cdn books etc.  

It would help GCD if you could provide them with the description of the contents for both of these Superman issues.  They only have partial descriptions.  (thumbsu

On 6/3/2024 at 1:46 PM, thehumantorch said:

Strange Terrors #2 1952  in about 4.0/4.5.  First book I spotted and at his $90 cnd price tag I knew I was going home with something.  I get this isn't the craziest coolest GA pre-code horror book but how are these so cheap?  When someone complains everything is too expensive I'd look at books like this to say, there's still cool affordable books out there.

strangeterrors2-75.jpg

Fun score! My local shops never get anything like that. I would have been all over that Strange Terrors 2. The others, maybe not so much. 

On 6/3/2024 at 3:08 PM, thehumantorch said:

Superman #84  Most of these Superman issues were $200 cnd to $300 cnd.  This is another pretty nice and flat book.  Not high grade but still nice to see.superman84-210.thumb.jpg.7b326e4ef02c3ee008620d56d3237d8a.jpg

@thehumantorch @Artboy99  Interesting. Based on the grease pencil markings on some of these books they may be the remnants from a collection that surfaced in mid 90s locally. They were all late 40s through 50s Actions/Adventures/Supes that a lady was selling after her husband died (couple was in their 50s) that all had a P or F on them. The collection was split amongst a couple of stores and Mel and I scooped them up.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:22 AM, kimik said:

@thehumantorch @Artboy99  Interesting. Based on the grease pencil markings on some of these books they may be the remnants from a collection that surfaced in mid 90s locally. They were all late 40s through 50s Actions/Adventures/Supes that a lady was selling after her husband died (couple was in their 50s) that all had a P or F on them. The collection was split amongst a couple of stores and Mel and I scooped them up.

Hey that's possible.  LCS owner told me it was an old lady.  He also mentioned they were in really old bags.  I don't know how long they have been in his shop or how many books he purchased from here and what sold before I had a look.  Besides a low grade detective I also left behind a lower grade 3d book.  And just before I left an older gentleman came in and purchased the 3d book.  I got into a conversation with him and now I have his phone number to go over and see what he has for sale lol 

And I figure I pretty well paid market for these books.  They're were hardly cheap or a big score and not big demand books worth flipping.  I just don't see books like these locally enough and shipping costs, exchange rate, and customs fees are probably adding 70% to the cost of anything I buy outside Canada.  As soon as I saw the Strange Terrors #2 in the showcase I knew I was buying something.  Then I started going through the books and had a couple in my for sure pile and then finally decided they deserved to all go home with me.  In retrospect, while I have some GA DC books in my collection they aren't really what I collect and perhaps I should have passed on some of them but no regrets.  And perhaps the owner of the store will be more interested in buying collections like this in the future because they sold for reasonable money and perhaps he'll contact me if he does.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:22 AM, kimik said:

So you and Mel actually went to the stores and bought up the collection?  How many books?  Same era, early 50s?

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 3:48 PM, thehumantorch said:

So you and Mel actually went to the stores and bought up the collection?  How many books?  Same era, early 50s?

Yes. Same era. Mid grade for the most part with a few high grade mixed in. There were not a ton left by the time I noticed them. Maybe 50 in total? They were split between a couple of stores. We got the higher grade/higher priced books. The lower priced books had sold already.

Edited by kimik

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 3:45 PM, thehumantorch said:

And I figure I pretty well paid market for these books.  They're were hardly cheap or a big score and not big demand books worth flipping.  I just don't see books like these locally enough and shipping costs, exchange rate, and customs fees are probably adding 70% to the cost of anything I buy outside Canada.  As soon as I saw the Strange Terrors #2 in the showcase I knew I was buying something.  Then I started going through the books and had a couple in my for sure pile and then finally decided they deserved to all go home with me.  In retrospect, while I have some GA DC books in my collection they aren't really what I collect and perhaps I should have passed on some of them but no regrets.  And perhaps the owner of the store will be more interested in buying collections like this in the future because they sold for reasonable money and perhaps he'll contact me if he does.

8ssl44.jpg

Edited by kimik

On 6/4/2024 at 10:04 AM, thehumantorch said:

I’m sure this store rarely gets this stuff but at least he bought it.  I suspect a lot of LCS pass on this unless it’s almost free

I can attest that this happens. A local second hand dealer had a nice collection of Australian GA books that the local comic stores had passed on when offered. His win (and mine).

You guys are so lucky to at least have an LCS. My beloved one shut down about 30 years ago.

There are two in the city, but they sell only the modern garbage (no offence to those that collect it) and all the silly little gimmicky toys and blah graphic novels.

GA died out in my orbit and SA too long ago.

If it wasn't for the internet I would be limited to the Beano. :frown:

That's the price of living in the UK. Since the early 90s, 95% of all my collectibles comes from the States, that's comic books, vinyl albums, posters and all the assorted junk I collect.

The 5% I can get of anything from these shores is usually top notch and not subject to import taxes and kerfuffles...but it is only a paltry 5%

Americans are big hoarders...thank goodness.

God Bless 'Murica.