• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,761 posts in this topic

Next up from yesterday's art package . . .

Episode 4 of a 1965 Kelly's Eye vampire story that ran in the UK's comic-book VALIANT:

Kellyeye1.jpg

kellyeye2b.jpg

The blank area on the first page would incorporate the (repeated) strip title, together with a story recap, during the printing process.

To give you an idea of that, here's how the following week's episode would have looked in print (these strips were never colored):

Kelly5-1.jpg

Kelly5-2.jpg

And here's a photo of how large the original art pages are in relation to the size of the comic-book:

art.jpg

The 4th episode was always something I distinctly remember avidly reading as a nine year old boy and I'm delighted to have finally landed the original artwork.

In recent years, I've been trying to piece-together pages from this story which ran for 24 episodes (each episode comprising of 2 pages).

Currently, I have 15 pages (from a total of 48).

It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever complete the serial, but now that I have this favorite episode in my possession, I'm more than happy with what I've got.

The other pages I possess from this storyline are on display in my CAF, together with scans of most of the printed pages (as additional images).

Should anyone be sufficiently intrigued to take a peek, just click onto the link to my CAF at the bottom of this post.

Jim Calafiore is one of the nicest guys in the comic business and a terrific artist/illustrator so I was thrilled to be able to get Jim to do a One Minute Later. Jim loves the Defenders and suggested this cover so who was I to argue. Sharp-eyed observers will note that this is the ulra-rare 30 cent variant cover. Defenders #3 OML

I'm freakin' pumped for this one!!! It's Abra Kadabra, from DC's Who's Who #1, 1985, by Infantino and Frank McLaughlin. Included also is the little revised head with goatee and arched eyebrow.

My favorite part is the awesome reference to the cover of Flash 133, where Abra turns flash into a marionette.

abra-kadabra-cgc.jpg

abra-kadabra-head-cgc.jpg

I have a small collection of original art and my wife always supports me. We have also commissioned art together, but at today's California Comic Con in Yorba Linda my wife spotted this page by Jill Elgin from Speed Comics #37 (1945).

As a lifelong Blackhawk fan, I love these "Madame Butterfly" type characters in the WWII books, but did not expect her to start her original art collection with anything like this.

JillElgin-SpeedComics37.jpg

I have a small collection of original art and my wife always supports me. We have also commissioned art together, but at today's California Comic Con in Yorba Linda my wife spotted this page by Jill Elgin from Speed Comics #37 (1945).

As a lifelong Blackhawk fan, I love these "Madame Butterfly" type characters in the WWII books, but did not expect her to start her original art collection with anything like this.

Great page :applause:

That's a great page -- I would have been all over that one if I'd seen it for sale. It gives a real sense of the era, and packs a lot into a single page. :applause:

[

That's a great page -- I would have been all over that one if I'd seen it for sale. It gives a real sense of the era, and packs a lot into a single page. :applause:

I knew I wasn't leaving the table without it, but I was working my way up to telling my wife I was going to get it. Then she told me she really liked it. The woman has great taste.

The seller, whose name I failed to note, has all the other pages from the story, but he would not part with the splash page. This was easily the best of the other pages, so I ended up leaving the others behind. I was surprised he broke up the story, but was glad I was the one who got to break it up.

Im very happy to have this :cloud9:

It will be at the framers tomorrow.

Ebas-Zatanna.jpg

Great piece. I had to think long and hard before I talked myself out of pulling the trigger on this one due to finances. It is just beautiful - and wonderful to see it stay on the boards.

Im very happy to have this :cloud9:

It will be at the framers tomorrow.

Ebas-Zatanna.jpg

Great piece. I had to think long and hard before I talked myself out of pulling the trigger on this one due to finances. It is just beautiful - and wonderful to see it stay on the boards.

I thought twice about this piece as well.

Congratulations!