• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,756 posts in this topic

Package of 1960s UK-based strips reached me this morning (more of which, later).

First up is a cover artwork of the WWII fighter pilot strip, Paddy Payne, from the August 10th, 1963 edition of LION comic-book (a British anthology title), by Joe Colquhoun:

PaddyPayne1b.jpg

Next up from yesterday's art package . . .

Episode 4 of a 1965 Kelly's Eye vampire story that ran in the UK's comic-book VALIANT:

Kellyeye1.jpg

kellyeye2b.jpg

The blank area on the first page would incorporate the (repeated) strip title, together with a story recap, during the printing process.

To give you an idea of that, here's how the following week's episode would have looked in print (these strips were never colored):

Kelly5-1.jpg

Kelly5-2.jpg

And here's a photo of how large the original art pages are in relation to the size of the comic-book:

art.jpg

The 4th episode was always something I distinctly remember avidly reading as a nine year old boy and I'm delighted to have finally landed the original artwork.

In recent years, I've been trying to piece-together pages from this story which ran for 24 episodes (each episode comprising of 2 pages).

Currently, I have 15 pages (from a total of 48).

It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever complete the serial, but now that I have this favorite episode in my possession, I'm more than happy with what I've got.

The other pages I possess from this storyline are on display in my CAF, together with scans of most of the printed pages (as additional images).

Should anyone be sufficiently intrigued to take a peek, just click onto the link to my CAF at the bottom of this post.

In my quest to put-together more pages from the 1965 (UK) Kelly's Eye vampire story, I've now added 4 more pages (which puts me at 19 pages out of a total of 48):

eye1a.jpg

Episode 3 page 1

THE STORY SO FAR . . . "While in Italy, Tim Kelly, owner of the life-preserving Eye of Zoltec, learned about a sinister mystery surrounding the village of Raffino where three people had been snatched into the air by weird creatures. Tim decided to investigate and he arrived at the village just as a vast inhuman shape swooped down from the night air . . ."

eye2b.jpg

Episode 3 page 2

eye3a.jpg

Episode 6 page 1

eye4a.jpg

Episode 6 page 2

And so the hunt for more pages continues . . .

I got it back!! This was a grail off mine that I sold a while ago to pay for my wife's wedding ring. I never expected to get it back but suddenly things lined up, sold a piece had, discovered this was for sale and then, boom...it's hanging back up on the wall in its old frame! I'm super stoked!

Ultimate-Wolverine-vs-Hulk-.jpg

I don't think I posted anything on here yet. I mostly collect sketch covers, but a little less than a year ago I decided to start slowly collecting published art. I made a list of my top 25 wants. So far I got 2 last year and 1 this year.

Wanted: a Dark Tower piece and this is my favorite page story wise from the whole series so far

Jae Lee - Dark Tower Battle of Jericho Hill is. 5 pg. 18

JaeLeeDTv5_005018.jpg

Wanted: a Walking Dead piece with Zombies

Charlie Adlard - Walking Dead is. 39 pg. 14

WDArt.jpg

Wanted: Ultimate Spider-Man page with Spidey in Costume

Mark Bagley - Ultimate Spider-Man is. 61 pg 14 - 15

usm61_14-15.jpg

More info on all 3 can be found on my caf original art gallery here: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=117406

Arrived this morning, three more pages of Dan Spiegle artwork from the landmark very first issue of Space Family Robinson (Lost in Space)!

Late last year (2011) I was fortunate enough to win a page from this fondly remembered title of my youth on eBay . . . and from the very first issue, no less!

The seller Dave Karlen (acting as Dan Spiegle's art rep) advised me that some further pages were available, if I was interested?

Dan Spiegle + SFR + # 1 issue . . . a fan's dream!

Dave was great to deal with and, having been buying artwork from American dealers for over 30 years, I'd say his level of service is second to none. Check out Dave's CAF or web-site for lots of great art at very reasonable prices!

SFR1C.jpg

SFR2.jpg

SFR3.jpg

New to the forum, figured I'd jump on this thread if that's ok! I've got two new pieces. Sorry for the terrible pictures, I only have a phone camera and no scanner.

The first is a page from Knuckles the Echidna #30 (I collect a lot of Archie Sonic artwork) penciled by Ramona Fradon. I feel sort of honored to have a page of hers, even if it's not one from her famous books.

photo(5).JPG

I also just received a set of 9 commissioned sketch cards from Bruce Patterson. The theme was monsters from his imagination, but done in evolution and type styles like Pokemon. I'm 23 now and a nerd, so Pokemon was big for me when I was younger.

photo(6).JPG