• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,761 posts in this topic

Another Vince Locke piece. This is "Winter" from the four part series he did for an never published calender. Three of the seasons ended up as covers. I also own "Summer". I've been on a Locke kick lately.

winter.jpg

BEAUTY!

Thanks. I just got the scan of this one today. A Gunslinger commission by CAF member Oliver Nome. He knocked it out of the park IMHO. I have about seven others pending from various artists and plan on making it another theme in my collection (other than the zombie stuff).

nomegunslinger.jpg

I went on a little bit of a spree this week. Who says the economy's in the crapper lol

The Gunslinger by Quinton Hoover (Magic: the Gathering artist). He did it for the western theme for CAF's sketchbook this month and sold it on ebay.

hoovergunslinger.jpg

Two Cliff Rathburn back covers from The Walking Dead, bought straight from the source. 38 is the only one he's done on an 11 x 17 art board(I think) (they're usually much smaller)

inks35.jpg

twd38.jpg

That does it for me for a little while though. I go home in a couple weeks and all my money'll go to spoiling the wife for a while. I have several commissions in progress that should come in over the next few months (mostly Gunslingers). (thumbs u

Edited by armydoc

I went on a little bit of a spree this week. Who says the economy's in the crapper lol

The Gunslinger by Quinton Hoover (Magic: the Gathering artist). He did it for the western theme for CAF's sketchbook this month and sold it on ebay.

hoovergunslinger.jpg

Two Cliff Rathburn back covers from The Walking Dead, bought straight from the source. 38 is the only one he's done on an 11 x 17 art board(I think) (they're usually much smaller)

inks35.jpg

twd38.jpg

That does it for me for a little while though. I go home in a couple weeks and all my money'll go to spoiling the wife for a while. I have several commissions in progress that should come in over the next few months (mostly Gunslingers). (thumbs u

Those are amazing pieces George!!! Thanks for the deal on the #33 back cover (worship)

word on the street is Josh is working on a commission for a certain armydoc.

Hell yeah, two of my pending commissions. I can't wait to see what Josh and Andrew come up with. Those guy's are both super talented. That'll end up being two badass Gunslinger pieces. (thumbs u

word on the street is Josh is working on a commission for a certain armydoc.

Hell yeah, two of my pending commissions. I can't wait to see what Josh and Andrew come up with. Those guy's are both super talented. That'll end up being two badass Gunslinger pieces. (thumbs u

Get in line. Word on the street is a certain collector of PREACHER pages has been waiting for his Medors commission longer :sumo:

I'm told we may be in for quite a wait. I paid for two different commissions from Josh at the same time, before I heard the stories. The guy's super talented, and to me it's worth the wait. Patience is a virue afterall.

Edited by armydoc

I've been in a bit of an Original art buying spree this week...

The first piece I picked up was on Sunday, and it's something I was actually selling for someone late last year that didn't sell when I listed it. I considered making an offer, but didn't get around to it and gave it back when I decided to hold off on listings for a while. He put it up last week, starting the auction at $10 to see where it went. Well, it went to less than half of the original asking price, so I was happy to add that to my collection.

Kevin Maguire/Joe Rubinstein JLA Classified 6 page 14 splash (Guy Gardner vs. Power Girl)

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=303132&GSub=46673&GCat=0&UCat=0

While on CAF I noticed that Danny Truong (Jason's brother) had added some pieces for sale to his Comic Art Fans gallery, so I asked him for the following:

Cary Nord Thor sketch

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=273305&GSub=53851&GCat=0&UCat=0

Art Baltazar Wolf Boy painting

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=162307&GSub=53851&GCat=0&UCat=0

Jason Howard Invincible sketch

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=267550&GSub=53851&GCat=0&UCat=0

He's bringing the pieces to the Feb. 3rd Toronto show: http://www.hobbystar.com/hobbystar/ConventionsPoster_20080203.html

I plan on getting something from Mitch Breitweiser at the show as well. I placed an order for a Captain America painted piece.

I'm a fan of Kirkman and Ottley's ongoing series Invincible, and I've got a fair amount of Ottley originals in my collection:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=13710

I happened to come across an auction for an Ottley colour piece of Atom Eve, but the buyer had the auction listing set for US only, which prevented me from bidding (as I'm a Canuck). I contacted the seller and he had no problems selling to non-US bidders, he just couldn't fix the auction once it had bids. So I made arrangement with Steve B (thanks Steve!) down in Sarasota to bid on it for me, and low and behold we won.

I'm quite happy with this, and will be glad when it arrives. Won it for less than what a full figure black and white commission from RO would cost me, and it's big, taking up almost the entire 11 x 17 area. This will look great next to my Invincible Zombie piece.

Ryan Ottley Atom Eve

badf_1.JPG

Then the big kahuna, the art purchase that I'm really excited about but already feeling buyer's remorse over.

Ryan Sook GREEN ARROW / BLACK CANARY WEDDING SPECIAL cover

e0ef_3.JPG

Even though it's costing me a fortune, I'm not that unhappy with spending the dough. I justified the expense (which really is unjustified) this way ----

- it's a key issue cover (although whether they actually got married is in doubt)...

- the cover will be used TWICE - once for the special, published last summer, and again for the hardcover which has been delayed for a release later this year....

- the lead characters are kissing, a cover motif I seem to have blundered into through previous cover and splash page purchases...

- there are a lot of recognizable characters on it like Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Deathstroke, Killer Croc... etc, and of course, Green Arrow and Black Canary!

I also like that the logo was incorporated into the artwork (often it's not even there --- added later by digital effects). A quick look at previous sales of Sook covers seems to place the final price into the average price reached range,

Of course, I am very happy with it and will be proud to have it framed and on my wall when I do receive it in a couple of weeks.

But that's it. No more for at least another month!

That wedding special cover is spectacular, Kevin. Congratulations.

Cover to House of the Gun #0 coming out in July. Gene Colan and David Gutierrez.

hotgINKsend.jpg