• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

Well, only two weeks to go until the Heritage auction. I wonder how many other "surprises" will pop up between now and then. I have my eye on one slab that I'll be bidding on, but it's a nice, safe, cheap VG+ 4.5. cloud9.gif

gossip.gif....it started out as a 0.5.

It started out as a 10.

wink.gif

And of course it's not just three books, who knows how many books the same individual or individuals now have up on heritage? We look at a Boy Comics and assume the seller has just one altered book up.

I don't assume this at all and I would guess neither do others. In fact, I assume the exact opposite- that the person who consigned the Boy #17 probably consigned others (maybe Church books?) and that there is a good chance that some of them might have gone through the same sort of upgrading. As I said in the other thread, I was planning on bidding on a couple of the Church Daredevils, and I still might, but I consider them all suspect now. Sad...

I just checked with the owner. The book was resubmitted in Oct. to try for a 9.6 and to check for the trimming that I had suggested to him.

I'm going to call Heritage tomorrow and see if they will pull the book somehow.

One of the things that keeps bothering me is how Hammer was outed and yet, nothing has been mentioned about Ewert in any publication. The main parts of the Ewert scandal are known and accepted as fact, yet nothing has been printed.

This is strange and confusing.

CGC could detect Hammer's work. And obviously the CGB Comic-Keys article was written with the full cooperation of if not outright instigation by CGC (and at least one longtime board member) thumbsup2.gif

One of the things that keeps bothering me is how Hammer was outed and yet, nothing has been mentioned about Ewert in any publication. The main parts of the Ewert scandal are known and accepted as fact, yet nothing has been printed.

This is strange and confusing.

CGC could detect Hammer's work. And obviously the CGB Comic-Keys article was written with the full cooperation of if not outright instigation by CGC (and at least one longtime board member) thumbsup2.gif

But CGC knows that Ewert was trimming and slipping books past them. Whats the difference?

I just checked with the owner. The book was resubmitted in Oct. to try for a 9.6 and to check for the trimming that I had suggested to him.

Did the owner tell you they sent it to CGC giving them instructions to specifically check for trimming as a Ewert book? Or, did they just do a standard resub? Either way, something here really reeks. I sure hope the current owner is not Tom Brulato. Whoever it is, they are probably a fairly significant player in the hobby.

Brent, thanks very much for bringing this book to everyone's attention.

-Jim

They've caught some of Jason's work too. Last month, I sent in 5 books that I bought from Jason in the past year. On second look, CGC said 2 of the 5 were trimmed.

CGC had a solution for the Hammer problem and outing Comic Keys as a seller of un-slabbed faux-HG books re-enforced their business model ("Certification works.")

An expose of Ewert would beg lots of uncomfortable questions that CGC still does not apparently have answers for, given the continuing discoveries as recent as this morning's thread.

Not to say the industry press should not go after the story, but just explaining why perhaps they have not as yet. The Hammer stuff was handed to them on a silver platter. An Ewert piece would be harder work, and would require asking some embarrassing questions.

Again, not defending this, just offering an explanation for why.

Did the owner tell you they sent it to CGC giving them instructions to specifically check for trimming as a Ewert book? Or, did they just do a standard resub? Either way, something here really reeks. I sure hope the current owner is not Tom Brulato. Whoever it is, they are probably a fairly significant player in the hobby.

-Jim

Just a standard resub.

I found the original label when it first turned into a 9.4. Here are the other books in that submission:

0098469001 - TOS #39 CGC 9.2 White pages

0098469002 - Journey #92 CGC 9.4 White pages

0098469003 - Amazing Spider-Man #37 CGC 9.6 Curator White pages

0098469004 - Green Lantern #76 CGC 9.4 Off-white

0098469005 - Amazing Spider-Man #32 CGC 9.6 Boston White

Which is NOT to say all of the others are trimmed, just something to look into. I wonder if any of the pedigrees were trimmed. frown.gif

They've caught some of Jason's work too. Last month, I sent in 5 books that I bought from Jason in the past year. On second look, CGC said 2 of the 5 were trimmed.

Sorry to hear that some of the books you bought were trimmed. Did you tell CGC beforehand that you bought them from Jason?

Brent

-Jim

Just a standard resub.

I found the original label when it first turned into a 9.4. Here are the other books in that submission:

Which is NOT to say all of the others are trimmed, just something to look into. I wonder if any of the pedigrees were trimmed. frown.gif

gosh lets hope none of the others were, especially the peds 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

there was an old label 9.2 on Comiclink recently. Its on the home page. but now its 'gone". Still on the home page but not in inventory. Could it be the same copy? probably not with th eold label...

Just a standard resub.

It almost seems puposefully negligent on the part of the current owner if they knew the book was a possible trimming suspect, but sent it in normally instead of having it specially checked.

Is the owner a major collector/dealer or an average Joe?

Sorry to hear that some of the books you bought were trimmed. Did you tell CGC beforehand that you bought them from Jason?

Brent

I did tell them. The trimming check was my only reason for the resubmissions.

I kind of think the owner of the Journey should have told CGC that the book came from Jason. The book made it past them once before.

I kind of think the owner of the Journey should have told CGC that the book came from Jason. The book made it past them once before.

Regardless...the main question is CGC saying they tightened up their processes to carch these Ewert trims after the last fiasco. Apparently, they can't...

Jim

Is the owner a major collector/dealer or an average Joe?

I'm not going to comment on the owner of this book.

[? Either way, something here really reeks. I sure hope the current owner is not Tom Brulato. Whoever it is, they are probably a fairly significant player in the hobby.

rent, thanks very much for bringing this book to everyone's attention.

-Jim B

I do not know Tom Brulato but I suspect him!!! I obviously suspect he is involoved in this trimming scandal because of his close association with Ewert.At least as I understand it they were partners with Ewert doing most of the leg work(please correct me if I am wrong about that)! As I recall in an earlier post someone suggested that Mr. Brulato has so much money there is no reason to be involved in this. I can't agree with that! Look at all the CEO's of big companies and what crooks they are!!! No matter how much money you got there is always that new yacht, plane or shiny new car that can give you motivation to be a crook if you are greedy so saying he has big bucks does not in my opinion remove him from suspicion! I want to say i do not know if he's guilty!!! But i do suspect him because if I had a partner in business and he were involved in this sort of behavior

I just find it hard to imagine I wouldn't know about it!!! He should have picked his partners better! I don't know if it's wise not to cast any doubt his way!

I would say it is safe to say the owner's name is not Joe.

If the industry press at some point does not focus on the Ewert scandal, I am tempted - and this will depend on the status of the litigation and require further thought - to try and take out a full page ad in CBG informing the public.

I'd be curious to see whether CBG would be willing to run such an ad given its financial relationship with CGC, or whether CGC would ask them not to (which I would hope it would not seek to do).