• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

And a look back at this thread suggests Spirit sections count. I'm afraid I can count my collection of those on the fingers of one hand. But this is one of them, and of all 645 issues there's none I would rather have:

Spirit_Plaster_zps9167e616.jpg

This was my favorite story from the run long before I ever owned the original, and running into it at the ECCC a couple years ago is one of my all-time favorite finds.

enough Kurt for tonight...manuel pacifico to cleanse the palate

manuelpacificof100_zps172e20bf.jpg

Beautiful books, Dr. Love. I looked for a copy of this for years after reading about it in Scott Shaw's oddball comics column, and could never find one. I don't actively seek oddball stuff these days, but always enjoying seeing scans. One thing I notice about giveaways, is a great number of them are clearly not aimed at kids. I can't recall the exact statistics, but I remember reading years ago that a surprising percentage of adults read comic books in the late forties, early fifties, and it wasn't until the code came along that the medium became strictly associated with kids.

Now we've gone full circle, and it is unusual to find anyone under 18 in a comic store.

Of course we all know this beauty - it got Wertham's attention. At least four different versions of this book were distributed, three of which appear to have been intended to assist publisher Fred Danner obtain or retain public office. Although Overstreet lists Lloyd Jacquet studios as the publisher, these books suggest that perhaps Jacquet's studios simply provided the content for Danner Press publishing. The lack of a cover price and the explicit notation on one of the versions indicating that this was given away by Fred Danner define this as a promotional book, listed incorrectly in the main section of the Guide.

Here's what Wertham had to say about this comic book, on pages 309-310 of SOTI:

Typical is one called "Your United States". It devotes one page to each state and, although on bad paper and as smudgily printed as the others, it really contains some instructive information. But practically every state, although it gets only one page, has a scene of violence; if one doesn't, that is made up for in other states where there are two or three such scenes. For instance, a man hanged from a tree by a "vigilance committee"; Negroes in chains; corpses and dying men; a girl tied to a tree, her bound wrists above her head, her skirt blowing up in the wind and a coy facial expression of fright as in a sadist's dream; a girl about to be raped or massacred. Is that what you want your children to think is the history of "Your United States"?

YourUSf100_zpsbaa4a71a.jpg

Great to see your comics, Dr. Love!

Here's a copy of "Your United States" used in Danner's campaign for State Senate.

133233.jpg.d4e3fd95e3038695a7c500721050ab91.jpg

Bill Jones...Contractor Presents The DOMOR Elevating Grader To You

1953 promotional comic from Ulrich Products Corporation / DOMOR / Caterpillar

Bill Jones is a comics badass. He doesn't wear a costume. He doesn't care if he smokes. He's got his feet up on the desk. You're in HIS office, pal.

133236.jpg.fbd6a941cafe5d402e35e139e9def9f5.jpg