• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

The first Superman promotional comic was the 1940 Superman's Christmas Adventure. The first comic merchandising tie-in, however, was the Py-Co-Pay toothbrush dental set in 1942, which contained The Adventures of Superman #nn.

Imagine this - inside a small, rectangular 2" X 5.75” box are

- four Py-Co-Pay tooth powder tubes

- sealed toothbrush

- a folded 8-page comic in which Superman takes a young boy to visit WWII fliers and teach him the importance of dental hygiene

NOTE from 2014 Dr. Love to 1942 Dr. Love's Dad: Don't read the comic on the bathroom counter while you're brushing your teeth, silly

pycopayset_zpsf60801f1.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnf2c100_zps3d45b245.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnb2c100_zpsa22cbdc1.jpg

The stuff in your medicine cabinet Doc, cures all pop culture enthusiasts ailments! :applause:

How does a comic folded in that little Box get a 9.8. Amazing copy

The first Superman promotional comic was the 1940 Superman's Christmas Adventure. The first comic merchandising tie-in, however, was the Py-Co-Pay toothbrush dental set in 1942, which contained The Adventures of Superman #nn.

Imagine this - inside a small, rectangular 2" X 5.75” box are

- four Py-Co-Pay tooth powder tubes

- sealed toothbrush

- a folded 8-page comic in which Superman takes a young boy to visit WWII fliers and teach him the importance of dental hygiene

NOTE from 2014 Dr. Love to 1942 Dr. Love's Dad: Don't read the comic on the bathroom counter while you're brushing your teeth, silly

pycopayset_zpsf60801f1.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnf2c100_zps3d45b245.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnb2c100_zpsa22cbdc1.jpg

The stuff in your medicine cabinet Doc, cures all pop culture enthusiasts ailments! :applause:

How does a comic folded in that little Box get a 9.8. Amazing copy

lol Great question! Doc, we deffer to you..........

This one is not considered a promo, but it was given to school children after the schools purchased it. I've posted it before...but I really like it:

nbb1bm.jpg

Always a pleasure to see this fabulous book. For a long time I thought the Harlan Ellison short story A Boy and His Dog was inspired by this cover.

The Major Inapak is a great cover done by Powell. Before a warehouse find exploded the supply and it became commonplace, this book was considered a good catch.

Bill Bunce was commissioned to do all 9 of the Railroad books by the Association of American Railroads between 1956-1960: Railroads Deliver the Goods, The Iron Horse Goes to War, Special Agent, Rails Across America, All Aboard, Mr. Lincoln, Salute to the Boy Scouts, Clear the Track, Ride the High Iron! and The Wheel of Progress.

This one is not considered a promo, but it was given to school children after the schools purchased it. I've posted it before...but I really like it:

nbb1bm.jpg

That has to be one of the weirdest covers ever, particularly for a school giveaway. What on earth is it supposed to be about? hm

Adventure in Leather (1961) is a Tandy promo recounting the history of leather working along with information about other Tandy hobby products.

Neal Adams was mentioned by Bo_Hogg as regards I Am the Guard. This book is attributed to him as well.

AdventureinLeatherfc100_zps6d82faad.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

nbb1bm.jpg

That has to be one of the weirdest covers ever, particularly for a school giveaway. What on earth is it supposed to be about? hm

It's about understanding atomic energy. The story is called "Andy's Atomic Adventures" Gosh! lol The artist was evidently from the East and unfamiliar with the desert, cause there ain't no Saguaro cacti in Nevada...

Edited by tricolorbrian

AdventuresinSciencefc100_zps93a27e7c.jpg

Adventures in Science (1958) distributed by the A.C. Gilbert Toy Co. The art is drawn by the always recognizable Kurt Schaffenberger. 32 pages, full color, 6.75-in. x 10-in., slick cover/newsprint interior.

The A. C. Gilbert Company was once one of the largest toy companies in the world. It is best known for introducing the Erector Set in 1911. Other beloved products followed, including microscope kits in 1934 and the toy train market starting with the purchase of American Flyer in 1938. Gilbert was the largest employer in New Haven from the early 1930s to the late 1950s, but by 1967 was out of business.

And a couple mundane railroad promos...choo, choo...

nfmznn.jpg

6p23om.jpg

Nice! Really enjoying this thread. Too beat from the Holidays to go in my boxes, take pics, post to Photobucket, etc, for now. But, like i said, i'm enjoying the show from all you other Boardies! (thumbs u

Dr., is there ANYTHING you don't have?

Everything in your tag line, Brian. For starters!

and Sagii, I know what you mean - it is laborious. On paper it seems manageable - one book or two a day, what's the big deal. In reality...mas tiempo.

On the other hand, I'm tired of digging my promos by myself. My wife thinks they're faintly amusing, but certainly not worth the money. Or any money, to be exact. That leaves me with the sound of one hand clapping, or get off my azz.

Edited by Dr. Love

Dr., is there ANYTHING you don't have?

Everything in your tag line, Brian. For starters!

and Sagii, I know what you mean - it is laborious. On paper it seems manageable - one book or two a day, what's the big deal. In reality...mas tiemo.

On the other hand, I'm tired of digging my promos by myself. My wife thinks they're faintly amusing, but certainly not worth the money. Or any money, to be exact. That leaves me with the sound of one hand clapping, or get off my azz.

I loved looking through all of them!

As I did showing them to you!

I was fortunate enough to have Mr. Bedrock stop by my place for a mini-geek out. After all these years, and having it be a business as well as a hobby, Mr. B still enjoys funny books like it was the first time he's seen them. It makes you smile just to watch him look at em. And when he zeroes in on one he really likes...

I was sitting next to him at the San Diego dinnerfest, and books were being passed around. Adamstrange had a particular book, raw, I don't remember exactly which one, but needless to say it was gorgeous. Mr B sat and looked at it, so intently, with complete concentration, without moving a muscle. This went on for so long that I finally blurted out, what are you doing? Looking at the cover, he says. (thumbs u

As I did showing them to you!

I was fortunate enough to have Mr. Bedrock stop by my place for a mini-geek out. After all these years, and having it be a business as well as a hobby, Mr. B still enjoys funny books like it was the first time he's seen them. It makes you smile just to watch him look at em. And when he zeroes in on one he really likes...

I was sitting next to him at the San Diego dinnerfest, and books were being passed around. Adamstrange had a particular book, raw, I don't remember exactly which one, but needless to say it was gorgeous. Mr B sat and looked at it, so intently, with complete concentration, without moving a muscle. This went on for so long that I finally blurted out, what are you doing? Looking at the cover, he says. (thumbs u

( lol i'll get off my azz!) On another note, i enjoyed seeing the pics of You, Bedrock, GAtor, Ciorac, David and co last Summer at the dinner fest. Hope you guys do it again in 2015!