• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

This one is not considered a promo, but it was given to school children after the schools purchased it. I've posted it before...but I really like it:

nbb1bm.jpg

That has to be one of the weirdest covers ever, particularly for a school giveaway. What on earth is it supposed to be about? hm

It's about understanding atomic energy. The story is called "Andy's Atomic Adventures" Gosh! lol The artist was evidently from the East and unfamiliar with the desert, cause there ain't no Saguaro cacti in Nevada...

Was this story printed in a Classics Illustrated comic..i seem to remember recently reading it...the dog has to be quarantined before going home to Andy...

I can't remember the issue...

Dr., is there ANYTHING you don't have?

Everything in your tag line, Brian. For starters!

and Sagii, I know what you mean - it is laborious. On paper it seems manageable - one book or two a day, what's the big deal. In reality...mas tiemo.

On the other hand, I'm tired of digging my promos by myself. My wife thinks they're faintly amusing, but certainly not worth the money. Or any money, to be exact. That leaves me with the sound of one hand clapping, or get off my azz.

I know what you mean as well: I would have tons of interesting material to show (not here, in general). Italian stuff, but also the biggest portion of my comic books collection, but it really takes time to scan, organize and sort comics properly (although it pays in the end).

As for this thread, I think I already posted it, but I do think my only giveaway is the Cardinal Mindszenty (which I have yet to read, by the way).

q8NOZHDh.jpg

Back cover:

XBrorvxh.jpg

This one is not considered a promo, but it was given to school children after the schools purchased it. I've posted it before...but I really like it:

nbb1bm.jpg

That has to be one of the weirdest covers ever, particularly for a school giveaway. What on earth is it supposed to be about? hm

It's about understanding atomic energy. The story is called "Andy's Atomic Adventures" Gosh! lol The artist was evidently from the East and unfamiliar with the desert, cause there ain't no Saguaro cacti in Nevada...

Was this story printed in a Classics Illustrated comic..i seem to remember recently reading it...the dog has to be quarantined before going home to Andy...

I can't remember the issue...

I'll have to read it again. My copy has the outer white cover for teachers to order copies

OK...here it is...the best giveaway comic cover ever! Unfortunately, everyone has a NM copy... lol

2rz4bib.jpg

Not this Porcupine....Brian,anyone,some info?Help to find one?

Jimmers

EBAY!...I like the guy who calls it Scarce...when there's 29 of them on there and one lot is for 12 issues for $34... lol I think we should buy all of them, burn them, and make this a truly scarce book...

Porky, even YOU can afford this book.... lol

Edited by tricolorbrian

Dr., is there ANYTHING you don't have?

Everything in your tag line, Brian. For starters!

and Sagii, I know what you mean - it is laborious. On paper it seems manageable - one book or two a day, what's the big deal. In reality...mas tiempo.

On the other hand, I'm tired of digging my promos by myself. My wife thinks they're faintly amusing, but certainly not worth the money. Or any money, to be exact. That leaves me with the sound of one hand clapping, or get off my azz.

Oh, so? Not even the 4 Bakers in the line? I find that hard to believe...

Speaking of burning warehouse finds...if I ever found 1,000 Action #1s in a warehouse I'd immediately burn 900 of them...then I would sell the others for $200,000 each...but only 25 a year, wouldn't want to be in too high a tax bracket...

Edited by tricolorbrian

I loved looking through all of them!

As I did showing them to you!

I was fortunate enough to have Mr. Bedrock stop by my place for a mini-geek out. After all these years, and having it be a business as well as a hobby, Mr. B still enjoys funny books like it was the first time he's seen them. It makes you smile just to watch him look at em. And when he zeroes in on one he really likes...

I was sitting next to him at the San Diego dinnerfest, and books were being passed around. Adamstrange had a particular book, raw, I don't remember exactly which one, but needless to say it was gorgeous. Mr B sat and looked at it, so intently, with complete concentration, without moving a muscle. This went on for so long that I finally blurted out, what are you doing? Looking at the cover, he says. (thumbs u

:blush:

I get mesmerized by them sometimes. The comic was a Crusader From Mars 1 and the copy that Adam had was so killer, the colors so bright that there were details in the background that I had never noticed before.

I recently got a contribution to this thread that I need to scan. It is one of the Red Ryder Victory Patrol giveaways. They were produced as a mailer sized card stock membership flyer wrapped around a full color comic. We had bought some comics and miscellaneous stuff from an estate a few years ago and some of the odds and ends ended up in a box. None of us realized this was actually a comic book, it looks like a paper premium, and being Red Ryder I just didn't pay any attention to it. When we moved into the new location I was going through a box and there it was. When I finally took it out of the old bag I did one of these... doh! ...it is very, very neat. Scans to come...

nbb1bm.jpg

So radiation wouldn't be a problem from that proximity? :o

here's a giveaway about mower safety that I believe is not in the guide from 1966 ( yes I know not golden-age but beg forgiveness) art by Vaughn Bode. I swiped this from my brother's room around 1970,so I think it's mine now.

I consider this rare, opinions?

152068.jpg.7f7586cc9a9a33b4e92ec62424ce2da7.jpg

here's a giveaway about mower safety that I believe is not in the guide from 1966 ( yes I know not golden-age but beg forgiveness) art by Vaughn Bode. I swiped this from my brother's room around 1970,so I think it's mine now.

I consider this rare, opinions?

Don't know, but I've never seen it before.

Of course, if it's really rare, your brother may want to swipe it back. :D

Great to see this thread roaring back to life...

What's great is to see more books from you! Mind blowing what you've got in your secret location. Not just a Louis Zamperini comic, which I've never hear of or even thought existed - but it's signed, too? :o(worship)

I think you could bust out promos you haven't posted before all day long without breaking a sweat. I'll do my small part to keep this thread on the first page. Wang Chung everybody, let's have some fun!

I got nothin'. ;)

152072.jpg.069ccfa75f072955f5a94a00d189cd5e.jpg

nbb1bm.jpg

"Promo", "giveaway", "educational" - put 'em all under the bigger set of FREE COMICS - comics that were originally given away.

Here's a proof of an alternate version of that Picture Parade cover. Posted the original art for both covers and more in the "Defining Atomic Age Cover" thread.

152077.jpg.3b9619065591a427b6fb0269ae88a7ad.jpg

On the other hand, I'm tired of digging my promos by myself.

You know you're not alone, Doc. :foryou:

Promos are one of the unexplored frontiers of comic collecting. There are so many great comics out there that are still undiscovered or under-appreciated. And since they are relatively unknown, they can sometimes be had relatively cheaply. Once something is "discovered", appreciated, listed in a Guide, the prices may increase.

To me, there is no greater thrill in collecting than discovering a comic that nobody has ever cataloged before. (Actually there is a greater thrill - getting it for next to nothing.)

Mr. Bedrock describes being mesmerized sometimes - that pretty much describes the feeling of opening and reading a previously unknown piece of comic history.

I can't think of another area of comic collecting that offers these opportunities like promos. Is there another area in any field of collecting that offers such opportunities?

As far as being worth the money, many promos hold a lot of interest to people who don't otherwise collect comics. Many collectors love the allure of a comic book related to their field or area of interest and may pay well to own a rare promo.

Here's the downside to sharing them here. Alerting savvy comic collectors to their existence may increase demand for them, and thus prices. We've seen this happen in many areas of comic collecting, for instance with pre-code Atlas. As word spread about how cool they are, prices went up and availability of prime issues dried up.

But that may not be an issue with some promos. While many are common, some may be so rare that they can't be had for any price. I've looked for some issues for over 15 years with no success. Certain titles I missed out on thinking I'd see another copy later still haunt me...

Don't get me started on the inherent historic appeal of promos... Far from just four color fantasies, these booklets document politics, business, sports, social issues, civic concerns, consumer trends, pop culture, and almost every other aspect of life.

/soapbox

Keep 'em coming! :headbang:

This is wrong on so many levels... who thought it was a good idea to have a devil represent their product in a comic book? And then to fill it with weird innuendos...what kind of man wants the devil to make his wife warm?

Yeah, it's been folded in half and it's missing a coupon, but it's the only copy I've ever seen...

152081.jpg.e01b63eba00e9239693016ebfefc15a0.jpg

152082.jpg.d4454c9e5ae646935eb40a3e199839d7.jpg

152083.jpg.b4b0f98bd3303a6aa6140c949a10a6e9.jpg

152084.jpg.b333d1022cda05d2ad99364915d85e2c.jpg

152085.jpg.b73a6c0d3ec42aced0d5f51e7d5f644b.jpg

Please pardon the non-Golden Age post...

Comic promo one sheet for 1960 British flick "Circus of Horrors". Anybody else think this looks like Alex Toth artwork?

Sponsered Comics Inc. was a company formed in 1950 by cartoonist Zeke Zekley, who started out as an assistant to George McManus, and drew other, lesser known, humor type strips as well. Alex Toth is known to have done work for him, including the cover to a military magazine called "At Ease". So, I'd say there is a pretty strong chance it's Toth.

Thanks so much for the info!