• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

I picked up a nice set of 1947 Cheerios series Y this week in the wild with the original Y envelope. Cool stuff. Will have to scan and post when I get a chance. Not the Y set on eBay being listed at $995 with a Z envelope.

That sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the whole shebang. A nice Duck atom bomb is a thing of beauty, although over time it's lost a bit of it's bang value wise.

With promo collectors the hunt extends to include the better condition mailers as well, as getting the books themselves becomes less of an obstacle. A pristine envelope can be worth many times the value of the books in the set (the Y set is the exception of course).

DisneyYmailerc100_zps0b6bc7d5.jpg

Great to see this thread roaring back to life...

What's great is to see more books from you! Mind blowing what you've got in your secret location. Not just a Louis Zamperini comic, which I've never hear of or even thought existed - but it's signed, too? :o(worship)

I think you could bust out promos you haven't posted before all day long without breaking a sweat. I'll do my small part to keep this thread on the first page. Wang Chung everybody, let's have some fun!

I picked up a nice set of 1947 Cheerios series Y this week in the wild with the original Y envelope. Cool stuff. Will have to scan and post when I get a chance. Not the Y set on eBay being listed at $995 with a Z envelope.

That sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the whole shebang. A nice Duck atom bomb is a thing of beauty, although over time it's lost a bit of it's bang value wise.

With promo collectors the hunt extends to include the better condition mailers as well, as getting the books themselves becomes less of an obstacle. A pristine envelope can be worth many times the value of the books in the set (the Y set is the exception of course).

Original mailers are so cool.

Barks was truly amazing. In addition to all the regular work he was churning out, he came up with a great story for the DD and the Atom Bomb giveaway that would originally be seen by, what, a few thousand people? Western sure got their money's worth out of him.

Edited by Sqeggs

I picked up a nice set of 1947 Cheerios series Y this week in the wild with the original Y envelope. Cool stuff. Will have to scan and post when I get a chance. Not the Y set on eBay being listed at $995 with a Z envelope. :banana:

And here they be!

IMG_2517_zps9d21f3cf.jpeg

I picked up a nice set of 1947 Cheerios series Y this week in the wild with the original Y envelope. Cool stuff. Will have to scan and post when I get a chance. Not the Y set on eBay being listed at $995 with a Z envelope. :banana:

And here they be!

Thanks for posting for me...

Anyone know about the different mailers?

And here they be!

I want a set with mailer just saying

Amazing Facts about Cleanliness and Health (1955)

A Monsanto promotional booklet featuring the history of bathing and washing laundry. It illustrates the discovery of modern detergents and how they've influenced the washing habits of mankind. The back cover includes a full pages advertisement for All laundry detergent. 16 pages, full color, card-stock paper, 7.5-in. x 11-in.

AmazingFactsAboutCleanlinessandHealthfc100_zps81cc56a0.jpg

Amazing Facts about Cleanliness and Health (1955)

A Monsanto promotional booklet featuring the history of bathing and washing laundry. It illustrates the discovery of modern detergents and how they've influenced the washing habits of mankind. The back cover includes a full pages advertisement for All laundry detergent. 16 pages, full color, card-stock paper, 7.5-in. x 11-in.

AmazingFactsAboutCleanlinessandHealthfc100_zps81cc56a0.jpg

Wow.....Monsanto...I wonder if Luxx knows about this one?

Original mailers are so cool.

Barks was truly amazing. In addition to all the regular work he was churning out, he came up with a great story for the DD and the Atom Bomb giveaway that would originally be seen by, what, a few thousand people? Western sure got their money's worth out of him.

So amazing!And Plainville...

Just adds a little je ne sais quoi.....n'est pas?

Sorry....just so great.I <3 it!

Edited by porcupine48

Will Eisner, who had been contributing to Army Motors since very early on, in 1945 finally got front and center with his now wildly successful character, Joe Dope - a good natured, hapless, hopeless buffoon who couldn't do anything right. A fool with a tool. The enlisted men loved him. The brass, not so much.

Army Motors' last issue was Sept 1945. But the work Eisner did for this publication served both his country and himself well. In 1951, when the Army decided they needed a maintenance publication again for the new conflict, the now private citizen Will Eisner and his firm, American Visuals Corp, competed for and successfully got a sole source contract to produce P.S. Magazine. This lucrative contract would be the economic foundation for Eisner's commercial work for the next 25 years.

ArmyMotorsv512fc100_zps0d7e8566.jpg

The first Superman promotional comic was the 1940 Superman's Christmas Adventure. The first comic merchandising tie-in, however, was the Py-Co-Pay toothbrush dental set in 1942, which contained The Adventures of Superman #nn.

Imagine this - inside a small, rectangular 2" X 5.75” box are

- four Py-Co-Pay tooth powder tubes

- sealed toothbrush

- a folded 8-page comic in which Superman takes a young boy to visit WWII fliers and teach him the importance of dental hygiene

NOTE from 2014 Dr. Love to 1942 Dr. Love's Dad: Don't read the comic on the bathroom counter while you're brushing your teeth, silly

pycopayset_zpsf60801f1.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnf2c100_zps3d45b245.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnb2c100_zpsa22cbdc1.jpg

The first Superman promotional comic was the 1940 Superman's Christmas Adventure. The first comic merchandising tie-in, however, was the Py-Co-Pay toothbrush dental set in 1942, which contained The Adventures of Superman #nn.

Imagine this - inside a small, rectangular 2" X 5.75” box are

- four Py-Co-Pay tooth powder tubes

- sealed toothbrush

- a folded 8-page comic in which Superman takes a young boy to visit WWII fliers and teach him the importance of dental hygiene

NOTE from 2014 Dr. Love to 1942 Dr. Love's Dad: Don't read the comic on the bathroom counter while you're brushing your teeth, silly

pycopayset_zpsf60801f1.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnf2c100_zps3d45b245.jpg

AdventuresofSupermannnb2c100_zpsa22cbdc1.jpg

The stuff in your medicine cabinet Doc, cures all pop culture enthusiasts ailments! :applause:

America In Flames (1951)

Published by the National Fire Protection Association. Art by Mart Bailey, a GA artist. Bailey also did another comic for this organization called Fire and Blast!

AmericaInFlamesfc100_zps60cec2a8.jpg

Baley was the artist (and also the writer?) on "The Face", a pretty original GA character. :)