• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

Here ya go...not as exciting as communists dropping A-bombs, but difficult to find...and not in the guide.

fmrxu8.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I have a copy and I've often wondered why it's not in OPG.

It reprints one of the regular issues (can't remember the exact # right now), with the lack of price and "Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival" added to the cover. The giveaway of Dennis at the Winchester House (actually sold there) is not in the guide either, but I think it is a perpetual reprint for the attraction...at least it was in the 90s.

5z1tue.jpg

Interesting. Two NorCal attractions. Were there D the M giveaways in other parts of the country as well?

Could be a bit of a disappointment for a kid to think he was getting a comic about the attraction he was visiting only to find out that the interior was an unrelated story.

Each of the books I showed have stories about Dennis visiting the attraction, but i don't know if they did any other regional giveaways.

Ok. I misunderstood. I thought they were regular issues (with unrelated content) with new covers.

Nice to see the thread come back alive.

Nice Reddys, Ed! especially the Edison

Nice uncut Wiscos, Rick! and I always enjoy the Winchester painted cover

Nice Dennis', Brian! I've got the Poison, but not the Dirt.

and BB - your promo group shot is one of my all time favorites. Not just great books (Buster 4! On the Air! Superman-Tim 10! Adventures of Superman Py-Co-Pay! a nice Whiz, If the Devil, mailer for How Dagwood Splits the Atom, etc, etc) but the artistry of the shot itself. The best group shots are studies in display and disarray, suggestions and teasers and stacks like cups running over. They ignite the imagination. Just fantastic.

The promo roots are deep. We stand on the shoulders of Funnies on Parade. And yet, it's still uncharted territory. Some have explored deep into the wilds, but the truth is you don't have to go too far to move beyond Overstreet's data set. They don't have a handle on it and never will - there's no corporate commitment to that project.

So be it. But I like em a whole lot, they're like comic mutants. It's time to let them out to play. I'll just start with A and see how far I get before I flame out. I'll try not to repost books showed earlier in the thread, of which there were many by esquire, welcomebackpotter, Boot, Bo_Hogg, sacenteur, and many others.

New stuff, nice stuff, wacky stuff, rare stuff. If the spirit moves you, post it.

Edited by Dr. Love

In the 1950's A.C. Gilbert promoted their American Flyer train series by giving away one of 6 different exciting mini-comics in boxes of Kellogg's Sugar Smacks and Sugar Pops. Each book is 14 pages and measures approx 7" x 3-1/4".

There are two more not shown here: Battle of the Table-Top and The Boy Engineer.

The Big Crack-Up

AmericanFlyer-TheBigCrack-Upfc100_zps687af6de.jpg

The Circus Train

AmericanFlyer-CircusTrainfc100_zps46a8ba92.jpg

The Ghost Express

AmericanFlyer-TheGhostExpressfc100_zpsfa53ee4d.jpg

Highball to Mars

AmericanFlyer-HighballtoMarsfc100_zpsaf60a8b3.jpg

This 1969 Amazing Spider-Man promotional mini-comic was originally attached to Eye Magazine which is about the size of a Life Magazine. The full-color Amazing Spider-Man mini-comic, "The Birth of a Hero!," reprints Amazing Spider-Man #42 minus the subplots. It is 20-pages, measures 6-3/4 inches x 4-3/4 inches.

The book is worth more if it comes still attached to one of the two magazines it was produced for: Eye and Esquire. Stand alone copies often show signs of how they were detached from the magazine. Hard to find in grade no matter what.

AmazingSpiderManGiveawayEyefc100_zpsf80ebce8.jpg

A Man and A Plan is a scarce advertising giveaway from the 1940's for Thom McAn Shoes. The comic tells the history of the company, through the story of how one veteran of the invasion of Okinawa in World War II got a chance to live the American dream by selling Thom McAn shoes.

Surprisingly good art by Harry Anderson. Not the first, and not the last, great artist to free lance for lucrative commerical work.

AManandaPlanfc100_zpsacace3e6.jpg

Great to see this thread roaring back to life...

Cross posting this from a tongue-in-cheek post over in CG wondering about an "Unbroken" movie bump.

"Devil At My Heels", comic adaptation of Louis Zamperini's book of the same name, published by David C. Cook, publishers of Sunday Pix, a religious giveaway comic. The comic may collect a story serialized in Sunday Pix. No date on the comic, but it mentions Zamperini appearing on the television show "This is Your Life", which was on from 1952 to 1961. Zamperini appeared on the episode which first ran on April 7, 1954.

Here' s another comic-related note about Zamperini. The B-24 Liberator bomber he first flew in was called "Super Man".

Super Man was shot up during a bombing run. Zamperini was assigned to another B-24 nicknamed "Green Hornet". This plane had mechanical difficulties and crashed, killing 8 of the 11 crew members, beginning Zamperini's ordeal of 47 days adrift at sea and his subsequent capture and torture by the Japanese.

152023.jpg.96bf6755034fc72284554f4e6b2fdb64.jpg

152024.jpg.36af7b2e533a60c5f1757fbd706ddc62.jpg

152025.jpg.22adfca059af460133a31859b83316e2.jpg

152026.jpg.003d16087e1e00a328920c715f0e1dfa.jpg

Please pardon the non-Golden Age post...

Comic promo one sheet for 1960 British flick "Circus of Horrors". Anybody else think this looks like Alex Toth artwork?

Sponsered Comics Inc. was a company formed in 1950 by cartoonist Zeke Zekley, who started out as an assistant to George McManus, and drew other, lesser known, humor type strips as well. Alex Toth is known to have done work for him, including the cover to a military magazine called "At Ease". So, I'd say there is a pretty strong chance it's Toth.

I picked up a nice set of 1947 Cheerios series Y this week in the wild with the original Y envelope. Cool stuff. Will have to scan and post when I get a chance. Not the Y set on eBay being listed at $995 with a Z envelope. :banana: