• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX just stepped on an Atom Bomb. A classic tale of deceit, trimming,and woe.

460 posts in this topic

You know what going to happen here, some one is going to buy this for a fraction of its unrestored value, crack it open and have the staples professionally replaced then resubmitted it through CGC, probably list it through one of the major auction houses and volia, instant profit. :frustrated:
hm

You know what going to happen here, some one is going to buy this for a fraction of its unrestored value, crack it open and have the staples professionally replaced then resubmitted it through CGC, probably list it through one of the major auction houses and volia, instant profit. :frustrated:

Almost right...except the person submitting it will be finding out that PGX didn't catch (or looked the other way) the TRIMMING or some other non-correctable situation and the buyer will be stuck with it. Now THAT would be justice! :cloud9:

A bump to provide some background info for anyone who might consider bidding on the item below. I have no reason to believe that the auction is anything but perfectly legit but felt the quote below should be read by anyone willing to pay $1,000+ for these books.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cheerios-Y1-4-9-8-Donald-Ducks-ATOM-BOMB-Carl-Barks_W0QQitemZ110157392180QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

87d.jpg

87e.jpg

-------------------------- QUOTE BEGIN -------------------------------------------------

New thread, Same story.

Watch as PGX self implodes right before your eyes.

Material taken from the Terance Leder thread.

I just wanted to be sure it was not buried in a thread others might have already passed over

Did PGX simply miss the trimming?.. Is Leder, D.Patterson? Is Leder in cahoots with Patterson? Who did the trimming? How did the books get slabbed so fast?

Lotsa questions, fewer answers.

From Arty's post.

He is a scammer no doubt about that.

He has an amazing selection of Disney rarities. What pisses me off, his greed has probable destroyed many of them. Trimming and restoration who knows.

He bought these.

. ma4pres.JPG

about two weeks later these were on ebay..same comics?? ...trimmed on all edges?

cx4.jpg

cy1a1.jpg

marks are very subtle but I went through about twenty Atom bomb pictures and none of the others had them.

marks.JPG

REDHOOK !!!

And wtf, why the Atom bomb 9.9 he's selling was previously 9.8 with the same serial and grading date.

0dab1.jpg

Atombomb.jpg

haha only 30 minutes and he already removed that picture from his auction.

Well did he really think I didn't save that pic 27_laughing.gif

You know, it's deja-vu all over again.

On the Atom Bomb cover do you see a stain shape or 'printing donut' just to the right of the test tube? Subtle, but it looks exactly the same on both. confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you mean this interior%20art.jpg

That is part of the interior art not stain.

And Reds usual great photoshop breakdown

fuckedducks.jpg

One other thing.....because the original book had a slight curl.....you should actually see LESS of it when placed behind the pressed out version. But because he hacked it like a chunk of Boars Head Low Sodium Bologna, there is a ton more art visible behind the trimmed copy.

That is one of the worst trim jobs I have ever laid eyes on. Patterson's credibility just went from zero into the negative zone.

Red

I would just like to personally thank those who have kept this thread alive in regards to newer people.

As I am somewhat of a newcomer myself, until about 30 minutes I figured that the slabs were pretty infalluble (Probably spelt that wrong, my English :( ).

Basically, when you talk about how un-suspecting people were ripped off, and that more will probably be because they do not have this information...I was one of those sad stories waiting to happen.

I am not under the opinion now that everything they do is corrupt and am not out to put down any company.

However, now I know that if should ever want to buy a high-priced item in a slab, that Ii is wise to get other opinions first. Because before I read this thread I would not have thought to.

For all of you that dont know nobodysspending fool is a shill account for Ryan Elliott(aka Terence Leder).These books would not come back the same grade from cgc.Most likely they would be in a restored(being kind) label.So bid on these books if you have money to burn.Otherwise RUN away from this auction.

For all of you that dont know nobodysspending fool is a shill account for Ryan Elliott(aka Terence Leder).These books would not come back the same grade from cgc.Most likely they would be in a restored(being kind) label.So bid on these books if you have money to burn.Otherwise RUN away from this auction.

I am not a psychologist, but the names "nobodysspendingfool" and "ponytailedblunder" have the same cynical ring to them...

Sadly, I would only buy these particular books if the seller was a personal friend who had had them in their collection for at least 10 years. They are just too easy trim and I think there are quite a few restored copies in circulation. The best thing CGC and PGX could do would be to recognize this and refuse to grade any more copies.

I am not a psychologist, but the names "nobodysspendingfool" and "ponytailedblunder" have the same cynical ring to them...

Sadly, I would only buy these particular books if the seller was a personal friend who had had them in their collection for at least 10 years. They are just too easy trim and I think there are quite a few restored copies in circulation. The best thing CGC and PGX could do would be to recognize this and refuse to grade any more copies.

ponytailedblunder was another shill for Ryan Elliott.At some point Steve B must have pissed him off.Just my best guess.

At some point Steve B must have pissed him off.Just my best guess.

Hmmm.... This Steve B sounds like trouble. I wonder why all these prolific eBay sellers from Eugene, Oregon dislike him so much...

On a related note, Ryan Elliott once sold me a heavily restored book as unrestored. He made a cool $2,000+ on that scam.

At some point Steve B must have pissed him off.Just my best guess.

Hmmm.... This Steve B sounds like trouble. I wonder why all these prolific eBay sellers from Eugene, Oregon dislike him so much...

On a related note, Ryan Elliott once sold me a heavily restored book as unrestored. He made a cool $2,000+ on that scam.

Might want to watch out for sbjstuff also.At least a part time shill.Elliott has wrecked Eugene as a market.Now all his listing are coming from San Diego and Arizona.

Eugene as any other town check the feedback and ask questions.

Now all his listing are coming from San Diego and Arizona.

Eugene as any other town check the feedback and ask questions.

But they are all PGX books, right?

Yes.

One of the two above mentioned sellers has a 800 number .So you never really know who your talking to.

ps im sorry for your loss.

pss do you want his address and phone number?

Thanks. The money is not important. It's more that's there's something deeply disturbing about a guy who would think of trimming Disney comics and try to sell them for a profit through numerous eBay shill accounts. Frankly, I'd be worried about any interaction whatsoever with such a lunatic and it is one of the reasons I am very careful about who I give my name and address.

Thanks for helping spread the word about him!

ps im sorry for your loss.

pss do you want his address and phone number?

Thanks. The money is not important. It's more that's there's something deeply disturbing about a guy who would think of trimming Disney comics and try to sell them for a profit through numerous eBay shill accounts. Frankly, I'd be worried about any interaction whatsoever with such a lunatic and it is one of the reasons I am very careful about who I give my name and address.

Thanks for helping spread the word about him!

I have been on here for a while spreading the word.If you need any other info I will try to help.

Unfortunately my loss was much greater than yours.