• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX just stepped on an Atom Bomb. A classic tale of deceit, trimming,and woe.

460 posts in this topic

cggus1794a.jpg

I know it's been said many times already, but dear God! 893whatthe.gif

You don't even need the before scan for this one, though with it it's even more damning. Unbelievable. I can't think of any single image I've seen posted here that has more succinctly sunk a grading company's credibility.

Look at the right side of the comic. assuming that the inside plastic holder is a straight edge and the left side of the comic lines up straight..follow the line of the comics edge with your eye and you will see it is not straight at all. the trim job is crooked. as the plastic holder line IS correct and true the comic edge is at an angle and seems to have a bump in the middle of the book and actually flair out towards the edge of the liner at the bottom!!

:facepalm:

Dude, thread is like..... old.... like really old.

cggus1794a.jpg

I know it's been said many times already, but dear God! 893whatthe.gif

You don't even need the before scan for this one, though with it it's even more damning. Unbelievable. I can't think of any single image I've seen posted here that has more succinctly sunk a grading company's credibility.

Look at the right side of the comic. assuming that the inside plastic holder is a straight edge and the left side of the comic lines up straight..follow the line of the comics edge with your eye and you will see it is not straight at all. the trim job is crooked. as the plastic holder line IS correct and true the comic edge is at an angle and seems to have a bump in the middle of the book and actually flair out towards the edge of the liner at the bottom!!

Omg.................... :eek:

:facepalm:

Exposing unethical business practices never gets old! Not that I needed more reason to never purchase a PGX book, it just makes the argument that much more solid.

Exposing unethical business practices never gets old! Not that I needed more reason to never purchase a PGX book, it just makes the argument that much more solid.

It`s good to continue to bring this up.It seems PGX is showing up in more auctions now then when this thread was started? hm

Lots of newbs never heard of CGC or PGX,so they get confused about which one to buy.

Nothing like resurrecting an old thread, especially an educational one exposing the antics of nitwits.

Agreed!

I know all about PGX but some how missed this thread. So it was good to see more educational examples of their bad business ethics!

Yep, the classic CGC boards WAS AWESOME at exposing this stuff.

When I discovered graded comics and decided to get into collecting them, it didn't take long to discover the difference between PGX and CGC. The shady practices of PGX are well documented across the internet and turned up pretty quick with a simple Google search. I made my choice between the two companies fairly quickly and easily, and I haven't regretted it for a second.

I will never buy a PGX book and that is entirely due to these boards and this thread. Every time that happens, their potential customer pool shrinks by one and fewer people get ripped off. Gotta be a good thing right? (shrug)

Too bad the police don't come knocking on the doors of these PGX turds. The only thing you can do is express your opinion, share your experiences, and educate collectors far and wide to the unscrupulous practices of PGX.

PGX website: "All comic books sent to PGX are fully insured while at the PGX facility."

There is no PGX facility and the business isn't even registered with the state.

Question: Are books fully insured while they're at Ryan Elliott's house? hm

Another recently sold item was the Zap Comix #1 (2nd print) that was supposedly graded 12/11 with a certified R. Crumb signature that should be investigated. I'm fairly sure it was a married unused cover probably sold by Alex...

Quick turn around on this one, and even though it was posted here it appears the CGC might have missed the married cover (if there was one by this honest dealer, of course).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zap-Comix-1-CGC-9-8-signed-Robert-Crumb-/170775001446?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27c2fbb966

Too bad the police don't come knocking on the doors of these PGX turds. The only thing you can do is express your opinion, share your experiences, and educate collectors far and wide to the unscrupulous practices of PGX.

PGX website: "All comic books sent to PGX are fully insured while at the PGX facility."

First off, I'm no attorney or Law Enforcement etc but I can't help but think his operation is illegal in some way...maybe mail fraud of some kind? That or possibly tax evasion? If his operation isn't listed as a business, then he probably isn't paying taxes either?

First off, I'm no attorney or Law Enforcement etc but I can't help but think his operation is illegal in some way...maybe mail fraud of some kind? That or possibly tax evasion? If his operation isn't listed as a business, then he probably isn't paying taxes either?

Trust me, I'm no PGX shill! But I think it perfectly legal to operate a business at a residential address. I would be curious to see how he insures these books - I wouldn't want to see the price of the commercial policy in addition to their home-owners insurance policy. I've seen the price on some of these policies and damn! So, there remains something, more, questionable. Additionally, Fraud in practice in his/their certification/grading of books, I cannot agree more!

Another recently sold item was the Zap Comix #1 (2nd print) that was supposedly graded 12/11 with a certified R. Crumb signature that should be investigated. I'm fairly sure it was a married unused cover probably sold by Alex...

Quick turn around on this one, and even though it was posted here it appears the CGC might have missed the married cover (if there was one by this honest dealer, of course).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zap-Comix-1-CGC-9-8-signed-Robert-Crumb-/170775001446?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27c2fbb966

Robert Crumb has a very pretty signature.

I wish other artists cared enough to do the same.

Trust me, I'm no PGX shill! But I think it perfectly legal to operate a business at a residential address. I would be curious to see how he insures these books - I wouldn't want to see the price of the commercial policy in addition to their home-owners insurance policy. I've seen the price on some of these policies and damn! So, there remains something, more, questionable. Additionally, Fraud in practice in his/their certification/grading of books, I cannot agree more!

Yeah when it comes to small businesses perfectly legal to be running it out of a residential addy assuming you aren't dealing with restricted chemicals and stuff to make things. Any chance he has a side business of a meth lab on the property also? :)

I doubt the books are insured in any real manner. You can go to the IRS' website and there is a place to snitch on people. Go drop them a message with his name, addy and some basic info stating you think he is operating a business and not paying taxes. Could make for a fun story if he isn't paying taxes on any profits from PGX, but do we really think they are actually slabbing many books? Now we know they are profitting from the BS upgrades they give themselves on books but that is another story.