• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade find from 1965!

359 posts in this topic

Sorry guys, I will remain a cynic. There are just too many things that rub me the wrong way. Is he the devil?...nope. Not even close. #1 scammer USA...nope again.

But I wont for a second believe he listed the books RAW instead of slabbing them because he did not want an "assigned" grade to keep the books out of reach of most collectors. To me that simply means .." I would have slabbed them if they were really HG books. But for the most part they are not, so I will list them all as NM/M RAW instead. And let the gamblers duke it out in the hopes of landing a true NM comic."

I said earlier the guy is ether new to this game, or he knew exactly what he was doing when he listed the books this way. I am leaning towards the latter.

I am all for learning as you go, and to cut a guy some slack when due. But everything about his auctions smack of greed and misrepresentation

But, to each his own. The books are indeed nice, I see no problem buying a few if you are supplied with large photos, and feel comfortable all is as it appears.

Ze-

I said earlier the guy is ether new to this game, or he knew exactly what he was doing when he listed the books this way. I am leaning towards the latter.

I am all for learning as you go, and to cut a guy some slack when due. But everything about his auctions smack of greed and misrepresentation

Ze-

see, i agree. you earn the trust of this board, you don't just get it because you happen to be a n00b or a nice guy.

it's not as though this board would refuse to give proper respect to someone who has demonstrated the correct way to list books, or who has learned from *coughcoughComicSupplycoughcough* past mistakes but who now provides exemplary customer service.

this guy seems to me to know exactly what he's doing...he's maximising the profit potential of his books. okey-dokey. his perogative. getting a nice stash of F+ SA books is almost a curse, since they're not going to blow up money wise, even for key books, if you list them as Fines...

so let other people bid on them. hopefully, they won't send them all back in disgust. because if i bought a book that - remember, prior to this thread, there was no giant 1111000kb picture to look at - was advertised as MINTMINTMINT, but was actually MAYBEVERYFINEIFYOUSQUINTATIT...that's a return and a neg

The shillers, scammers, snipers, 0 feedback boys, friends of the ebayer, former nazis, and the carpet baggers are all going to bid on these comics. Winners will pay a big premium assuming they get them

What I don't understand is why the seller isn't getting these graded. blush.gif

These big ripoffs that Chuck and Bob refer to that include Mafia types, etc. though huge are few and far between. They are systematic scams responsible for millions of dollars in losses to publishers. They are felonies in every sense of the word and law.

The jobbers I'm referring to bought their remainders and returns out of the back rooms of small wholesalers. A case here, a case there. We're talking hundreds of dollars - not millions. These are the guys who set up at flea markets selling bundles of books for pennies and nickels.

The fellow who purchased the Windy City collection from the original owner was a jobber back in the 40's. These guys were very common back then because they were small enough to be ignored. It's hard to ignore 500,000 square foot warehouses full of books...

Hey all,

Oh and as to the CGC bit, I will be sending in one set of the marvel books and a few of the charlton as well to have them graded, these cgc copies will stay with me, but as to the rest I figured its only fair to get these books out into the market and see what they go for. Its not my intention to try and gouge people for price with a CGC grade, it kind of takes all the fun out of collecting if you cant afford to get anything. I ran a chain of comic stores here in Utah in the early 90s and the one thing I learned is that speculation and taking the fun out of collecting will do nothing but kill the market.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks!!

Jduran, I guess he wanted the books to go to needy collectors.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Ze-

The shillers, scammers, snipers, 0 feedback boys, friends of the ebayer, former nazis, and the carpet baggers are all going to bid on these comics. Winners will pay a big premium assuming they get them

...his loss is our gain,...I'm bidding high on every one!!!...I'm going to be rich I tell you,..rich,...socially secure even!!... laugh.gif

Sorry guys, I will remain a cynic. There are just too many things that rub me the wrong way. Is he the devil?...nope. Not even close. #1 scammer USA...nope again.

But I wont for a second believe he listed the books RAW instead of slabbing them because he did not want an "assigned" grade to keep the books out of reach of most collectors. To me that simply means .." I would have slabbed them if they were really HG books. But for the most part they are not, so I will list them all as NM/M RAW instead. And let the gamblers duke it out in the hopes of landing a true NM comic."

But, to each his own. The books are indeed nice, I see no problem buying a few if you are supplied with large photos, and feel comfortable all is as it appears.

Ze-

Ze,

so in your opinion, no high grade comics should ever be enjoyed or read, or "god forbid" available to anyone who doenst clear 7 figures a year, right.... Okay, this must be why I dont do too much in comics anymore.. Its all about $$ to everyone, screw the industry and screw the enjoyment of the books, its all about trying to turn a buck. I dont agree, I think that comics are seriously overpriced and it will be the death of them and kids (who collect as adults) cant afford to buy them anymore and dont get enjoyment out of reading them and passing them along, they just try to get rich off them... This kind of [embarrassing lack of self control] slaughtered the industry in the 90s and when all of us 20 and 30 somethings are gone, comics will be barely remebered.. Dont believe me, consider how many comic shops were around when you were growing up as compared to now....CGC has done nothing but take one more step to remove comics from the average person.

--Corey

Well, the answer to that question is easy - if the ASM 28 comes back as a 7.0, the huge payoff he's going to get from raw ones won't happen. Further, at $45 per book, you're looking at a big cash outlay and a long time frame for him to be without cash.

He's doing it exactly the right way to maximize his return on the books.

1) Quickly sell the books after getting them, not spending the $45 it would take to grade the books.

2) List them all as NM or NM/M or Minty Fresh or whatever so the speculators will find the book and bid quickly. This also keeps the illusion of "the big score" that everybody's chasing these days.

3) Have an image that clearly shows the book isn't NM or NM/M or Minty Fresh or whatever, so when buyers scream about the grade he can say "I'm just a poor caveman. Your newfangled grading system confuses me. Just look at the picture."

4) Get an influential message board talking about his books, driving the hit counter up on them and increasing the number of bids and watchers, creating more interest.

5) Make changes to his listings increasing the pictures, giving the illusion of being responsive to customer needs and desires.

6) Have high shipping charges, so you get a couple extra bucks per book - it all adds up.

7) Make the 10% returns that will inevitably happen, although I'll bet it won't be that high.

8) Laugh all the way to the bank.

Well, the answer to that question is easy - if the ASM 28 comes back as a 7.0, the huge payoff he's going to get from raw ones won't happen. Further, at $45 per book, you're looking at a big cash outlay and a long time frame for him to be without cash.

1) Quickly sell the books after getting them, not spending the $45 it would take to grade the books.

2) List them all as NM or NM/M or Minty Fresh or whatever so the speculators will find the book and bid quickly. This also keeps the illusion of "the big score" that everybody's chasing these days.

3) Have an image that clearly shows the book isn't NM or NM/M or Minty Fresh or whatever, so when buyers scream about the grade he can say "I'm just a poor caveman. Your newfangled grading system confuses me. Just look at the picture."

4) Get an influential message board talking about his books, driving the hit counter up on them and increasing the number of bids and watchers, creating more interest.

5) Make changes to his listings increasing the pictures, giving the illusion of being responsive to customer needs and desires.

6) Have high shipping charges, so you get a couple extra bucks per book - it all adds up.

7) Make the 10% returns that will inevitably happen, although I'll bet it won't be that high.

Thanks Donut . . . need we say more? thumbsup2.gif

Im pretty sur ethe pink is a printing effect, as I said before, but the sunshade looks spot on!! Probably from sitting on a 7-11 rack for a month waiting to be sold while having its spine bent repeatedly by kids looking at the comics behind it!

Dan is the best! thumbsup2.gif

And be defended by sources that use the same "pound sand" terminology. thumbsup2.gif

I personally could CGC a lot of my stuff (believe me.. if you're in the Bay Area, you're welcome to come and dig through my books... I don't even know what's in most of my own boxes so it's always a pleasant surprise to find some hidden gem grin.gif) but I don't.. why?

It could be I'm lazy... or I don't trust myself to pre-screen for 9.8s.. or that it's just too much trouble when I could be doing other things. (Plus I don't relish the idea of laying out tens of thousands of dollars to CGC books and then have to wait two months to get them back.)

I spent over 6-7 hours scanning in books recently and I really had to think... is this worth it? Probably not if you compare it to working 6-7 hours... but it's a hobby and we do it in spite of the cost. grin.gif

That's one reason why someone may not CGC their books. Yes, the potential for gain is lost. (Conversely, the potential for disappointment is also minimized...)

Anyway, I'll snipe some of this guy's auctions and if they exceed my snipes, then no biggie. thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't have gotten about 5% of the Green River collection if I hadn't taken a chance on an eBay auction (and I got them for a great price!)

DUDE,

I just checked out your pictures on the Amazing Spiderman #28...holy #$@%$%

the spines are horrible on a couple of those books, you may want to correct your listings to 7.0-8.0 range, nowhere near a NM. As for the FF #48 it's still hard to judge from the pictures due to the color of the comic, you really should scan each book individually. I was actually going to bid on some of the books if they were truly NM books, sad to say it doesn't look it.

Regards news.gif

He had 5 copies of each of comics and decided to keep 1 of each and i think he said he gave one of the X-men 14 to a friend so he is only selling 3 of those. Looks like he accidently listed 5 auctions for FF48 because he still has 4 of them running