• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade find from 1965!

359 posts in this topic

You are bidding on one copy, 1st printing of "The Fantastic Four"#36,1st Galactus, in NM Condition, no really it is NM!!

Heres the quick background. I recently bought five "original" 48pack boxes of comics from a beer distributor in Central Utah. The comics weremeant for distribution into local gas stations and such in 1965 but somehownever made it out. So the boxes sat in the warehouse for a few years until theowners son saw them, thought they might be valuable and locked them up in thesafe, there they sat for another 30 years or so, until the son (now the owner)came across the books again. He put a notice out of Old Comics for sale. Ianswered the ad and the contents of those boxes is what you see now.

Each box contained the exact same books, all the boxes were sealed and thebooks have never seen sunlight with the exception of the pics I just took ofthem.

The result is some of the most pristine books you will ever find. They are all1965 books from varied months. And all the gems are up for auction. Want more,please see my other auctions.

The condition is near mint if not mint. The corners are sharp, the pages arewhite with vibrant colors, the covers are magnificent with no fading, marks orblemishes. Please look closely at the pics and you will see what Im talkingabout. Want bigger pics, please email me for high res images. I WILL NOT endthese auctions early for any reason.

Books guaranteed to be exactly as represented and shown or full refund will beissued upon return of the item.

Shipping will be $9.00 per book, this is for the packing and shipping costs,books will be mailed flat between multiple layers of cardboard via Priority.Insurance is mandatory based on the final auction outcome price.

PayPal is preferred, I will also accept personal checks and MOs. Personal checksand MOs will require 10 days for verification and clearance time.

<h3>You are bidding on one copy, 1st printing of "The Fantastic Four"

#36,1st Galactus, in NM Condition, no really it is NM!!</h3>

<br>

Heres the quick background. I recently bought five "original" 48

pack boxes of comics from a beer distributor in Central Utah. The comics were

meant for distribution into local gas stations and such in 1965 but somehow

never made it out. So the boxes sat in the warehouse for a few years until the

owners son saw them, thought they might be valuable and locked them up in the

safe, there they sat for another 30 years or so, until the son (now the owner)

came across the books again. He put a notice out of Old Comics for sale. I

answered the ad and the contents of those boxes is what you see now.<br>

<h3>Each box contained the exact same books, all the boxes were sealed and the

books have never seen sunlight with the exception of the pics I just took of

them.</h3>

The result is some of the most pristine books you will ever find. They are all

1965 books from varied months. And all the gems are up for auction. Want more,

please see my other auctions.<br>

The condition is near mint if not mint. The corners are sharp, the pages are

white with vibrant colors, the covers are magnificent with no fading, marks or

blemishes. Please look closely at the pics and you will see what Im talking

about. Want bigger pics, please email me for high res images. I WILL NOT end

these auctions early for any reason.<br>

Books guaranteed to be exactly as represented and shown or full refund will be

issued upon return of the item.<br>

<h4>Shipping will be $9.00 per book, this is for the packing and shipping costs,

books will be mailed flat between multiple layers of cardboard via Priority.

Insurance is mandatory based on the final auction outcome price.</h4>

<br>

PayPal is preferred, I will also accept personal checks and MOs. Personal checks

and MOs will require 10 days for verification and clearance time.<br>

</body>

</html>

I think, if you look at it close David, you will see it is at least a 9.6 and if you were to sent it to Leder, he could get a 9.8 PGX out of it.

I asked him for some scans this was his response

"Hey jduran... dont be such a phisher... you talk [embarrassing lack of self control] on the cgc forum and then act all nice over here? blow me.. dont bid."

Not the kind of seller I want to deal with..

This guys credibility is worth a pound of sound. He comments on the speculators that ruined the 90's, yet he is playing on the same hype with his discriptions and marketing. He is not doing this for the collector, but the speculator.

If this were for collectors, he would have educated himself on current grading, put an appropriate BIN, and be done with it. He is aiming this auction for the speculators. This is a great find, but the finder is doing everything wrong for the hobby and everything right for quick personal gain. I was rooting for this guy, but his responses and his ebay descriptions show he is either nieve or can put on a good act. Either way, his buyers will be disappointed and as others have said, I hope the biker dude is a relative or friend because he is going to need him and his friends after this is done.

"Hey jduran... dont be such a phisher... you talk [embarrassing lack of self control] on the cgc forum and then act all nice over here? blow me.. dont bid."

At least he didn't tell you to GO POUND SAND!

makepoint.gif

wow. this is an interesting thread.

Of course, the maxim usually is these days especially -- if it's too good to be true, then it usually is.

sckao: I'd love to pick through your boxes sometime. Too bad on my vaca to SF, odds are the girlfriend is not going to want to spend it looking through long boxes frown.gif

Lets see, insurance is going to be max, 3.35, Priority mailing, 3.85 minimum.. then to mylar, board, then add multiple pieces of cardboard, which will increase the rate, yeah, the pricing is about right..

<insert sarcastic comment>but I could make a deal with those that want to save on shipping and just drop the book in a priority envelope and charge $3.85.... how it looks when it gets there is anyones guess...<end of sarcastic comment> 893whatthe.gif

Do not make insurance mandatory (I can never understand why anyone does that). You can easily sandwich a comic, bagged/boarded, between 4 pieces of cardboard and put it in a free, flat-rate, $4.05 priority envelope. Charge a little for time, gas, etc. and come up with $6 for shipping/handling. Or, more up my alley, do the same but do not use a priority envelope. Ship it first class or parcel post for even cheaper. Cripes, I am a cheap bass turd.

You do sound as if you will take pride/care in the handling/packaging of the comics..... which is nice for a change. Man, I see some of the strangest packaging from sellers.

Wow,

The cat is out of the bag. I totally believe that this guy knows exactly what he is doing by scamming the collectors into believing that these are NM comics. He incriminated himself by posting the large scans of the comics which range from 6.0 -8.0 with some 8.5 candidates. That one Spidy 28 with the fold and 15 color breaking spine creases is lucky to get a 7.0 from CGC. I hope that the high bidders are smart enough to retract their high bids. makepoint.gif

An unopened box. Give me a break. Who on this forum would sell an unopened box like this. I don't mean to pick on this guy but he is insulting the intelligence of this forum with his over the top jargon and sales hype............. Boxes like these don't exist at all when you really think about it............................

An unopened box. Give me a break. Who on this forum would sell an unopened box like this. I don't mean to pick on this guy but he is insulting the intelligence of this forum with his over the top jargon and sales hype............. Boxes like these don't exist at all when you really think about it............................

It may be unopened but who the hell would pay top dollar for FN-VF copies, this batch may even be worse. 893naughty-thumb.gif

It may be unopened but who the hell would pay top dollar for FN-VF copies, this batch may even be worse. 893naughty-thumb.gif

No doubt it is probably the most beaten up box. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, let's remember that he put FIVE FF #48's up for auction which would imply that he OPENED up all his five boxes...

Sorry guys, I will remain a cynic. There are just too many things that rub me the wrong way. Is he the devil?...nope. Not even close. #1 scammer USA...nope again.

But I wont for a second believe he listed the books RAW instead of slabbing them because he did not want an "assigned" grade to keep the books out of reach of most collectors. To me that simply means .." I would have slabbed them if they were really HG books. But for the most part they are not, so I will list them all as NM/M RAW instead. And let the gamblers duke it out in the hopes of landing a true NM comic."

I said earlier the guy is ether new to this game, or he knew exactly what he was doing when he listed the books this way. I am leaning towards the latter.

I am all for learning as you go, and to cut a guy some slack when due. But everything about his auctions smack of greed and misrepresentation

But, to each his own. The books are indeed nice, I see no problem buying a few if you are supplied with large photos, and feel comfortable all is as it appears.

Ze-

Ze,

so in your opinion, no high grade comics should ever be enjoyed or read, or "god forbid" available to anyone who doenst clear 7 figures a year, right.... Okay, this must be why I dont do too much in comics anymore.. Its all about $$ to everyone, screw the industry and screw the enjoyment of the books, its all about trying to turn a buck. I dont agree, I think that comics are seriously overpriced and it will be the death of them and kids (who collect as adults) cant afford to buy them anymore and dont get enjoyment out of reading them and passing them along, they just try to get rich off them... This kind of [embarrassing lack of self control] slaughtered the industry in the 90s and when all of us 20 and 30 somethings are gone, comics will be barely remebered.. Dont believe me, consider how many comic shops were around when you were growing up as compared to now....CGC has done nothing but take one more step to remove comics from the average person.

--Corey

popcorn.gif

Well, let's remember that he put FIVE FF #48's up for auction which would imply that he OPENED up all his five boxes...

Good catch Detective. He is lying through his teeth which is too bad since greed kills off everyone in the end. What I am curious about is what are his true intentions. gossip.gif

Good catch Detective. He is lying through his teeth which is too bad since greed kills off everyone in the end. What I am curious about is what are his true intentions. gossip.gif

True intentions? To make as much cash as possible stooges.gif

Doesn't guarantee he is lying. He used the same picture for all five listings. So although you can see more than FF 48 that doesn't mean he opened all five. Although, in his earlier posts on here, I think he did say he had five of each and was keeping one set for himself.

I think the box is full of X-force #1

True intentions? To make as much cash as possible stooges.gif

As if,

How hard is it to open it, put whatever junk in it you want. Get some string, tie it, make the string look like poop and then eBay it.

Oh wait, it was simple someone just did that.

He shot himself in the foot though by saying each box contains the same books. Therefore whoever gets this "unopened" one, would HAVE to receive an FF 48, ASM 28 and the rest of the goodies. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif