• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,168 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2023 at 8:51 AM, lou_fine said:

With all of the more knowledgeable Fox aficionados in this thread here, thought it might be better to ask this question here, as opposed to the CC thread where I first posted it.  (thumbsu

With all of the recent very strong prices that we have now seen with Mystery Men 2 during the past couple of years, has this book now pass Mystery Men 3 to become the 2nd most valuable issue in the pantheon of early Mystery Men books, a spot long held by MM 3:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988078

mys5.335.jpg

Although I've personally always like the brighter cover colors when it came to Mystery Men 2, I also totally agree with the point made by @adamstrange that the whole si-fi image with spaceships, ray guns, robots, etc. tend to have wider appeal.  (thumbsu

No need to ask our other long time resident fellow boardie here, namely @MrBedrock himself,  because he'll simply think we've all gone bonkers from our weekend hangover and it's really all about Mystery Men 10.  :slapfight:  lol

My two cents. As someone who has been collecting these early issues over past couple of years; yes, #2 has definitely taken over #3. 

Edited by RedGiant

On 3/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, mwotka said:

Had some Fox luck at Planetcon KC this weekend.  Got a Science 3, incomplete but was a deal and presents well. And then a real nice Rocket Kelly 4 that turned out to be a Cosmic Aeroplane ped!

Science-Comics-3-.5-R.jpg

Rocket Kelly 4 CA.jpg

Nice score on the Science 3 Mike! :banana:

On 3/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, RedGiant said:

My two cents. As someone who has been collecting these early issues over past couple of years; yes, #2 has definitely taken over #3. 

I agree with this. I consider both covers to be classics, but I think the science fiction theme of #2 has helped push it ahead of #3.  (Sure do wish I had a copy of #3 though)

BTW Lou Fine was a GOD! May all of his covers be forever coveted. 

Edited by Spyder!

On 3/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, RedGiant said:

Since you've been chasing these early Mystery Men issues for a couple of years, have you been able to snag an unrestored copy of MM 7.  :takeit:

Just wondering since I had posted this about Mystery Men 7 in the CC thread this past weekend:  hm

On 3/17/2023 at 11:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh heck, since it's a Friday night heading into a weekend, let's go real crazy here and say it's really all about Mystery Men 7 then.  lol

Come on now, don't they have any unrestored Universal copies of this book here as I just took a look at the Heritage archives and out of their top 7 dollar value sales for this book here, 6 of them were restored copies with the only unrestored being a RAW Good condition rated copy that sold for $3,346 or somethng like 10X condition guide value back in August of 2017.  Looks like the most recent sale and their high water mark was for a Restored CGC 2.5 graded copy for $3,360 or almost 7X condition guide value for a rather less than visually appealling RESTORED copy only a short couple of weeks ago back on February 27th:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/mystery-men-comics-7-fox-1940-cgc-apparent-gd-25-slight-c-1-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122309-17635.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #7 (Fox, 1940) CGC Apparent GD+ 2.5 Slight (C-1) Cream to off-white pages....

Besides the Jon Berk Church CGC 8.0 Universal copy which CC sold for over $13.5K back in 2017, it looks the only other recent sale CC has had was for a Restored (there's that word again) CGC 4.0 copy that they  sold for $4,150 back in March of 2022.  Just took a look at the CGC Census and it appears that there are only 11 Universal unrestored copies of this book graded and slabbed to date so far, with the Church copy the highest by far as the other remaining 10 unrestored copies are all graded in CGC 4.0 condition and below.  So, I somehow highly doubt we will be seeing any half decent unrestored copies of this book making its way to market anytime soon.  :frown:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/20/2023 at 7:38 AM, buttock said:

My thoughts on most desirable issues of Mystery Men.  #2 and #7 will sell for more than #3 as supply is much more limited.  #3 is relatively common, #7 is quite rare in any grade, and #2 is very difficult to find in any presentable shape.  #2 also has a fantastic interior.  I've never owned a 2 or 7.  I made a run at the Church 7 and bowed out as it wasn't super high-grade.  In retrospect, that was a mistake.  With apologies to Tim, in my 30 years of collecting Foxes, he's the only other person than Jon Berk who I have heard say they actually think #3 is a classic cover.  I'm sure there are others who love #3, but since it's a bit more common and #2 and #7 are no slouches (nor is #8 for that matter), I think the prices will be higher.  That doesn't mean that people like 2 or 7 more than 3, but they will have to pay more to get one. 

Now, this is a top notch excellent post you made here based upon your experience from long years of collecting these Fox books.  (thumbsu

Greatly appreciate you sharing this with all of us here as this is exactly why I love these boards because we can all learn so much from others through sharing this knowledge while having some good fun with our fellow boardies at the same time.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine