• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 6:52 PM, Spyder! said:

OK so what do you all think of this?  The Larson copy of Science 2 sold in a purple holder in November for $21,600.  Some color touch was removed, it dropped a grade but got a universal holder and sold for $42,500!

00D11A7F-0E10-4957-B0C0-85C17A26DE64.jpeg

:whatthe:  Someone has a lot of money to spend on comic books!!!  :whatthe:

On 2/13/2023 at 7:03 PM, Point Five said:

Joe Simon pumped out a ton of awesome covers in 1940-1941. To be fair though, the flip side of that is that most if not all of his figures were swiped from other pulp and comic covers. I still think they are super cool covers that have stood the test of time on their own. But if you really spent time on it, I'd be surprised if you found *any* covers he did in this period that didn't have any previous sources. At one point years ago I started keeping track of his Fox swipes, and there were quite a lot.

I like them because of their pulp inspired content, and a general affection for early GA superhero covers for all their crude, swiped and boldly colored glory, but Simon was at best second tier, and so prone to swiping and mimicry that a discernible style is hard to identify. He also had serious issues with proportion and perspective. Inking Kirby and practice in general made him a better artist over time, but that no one gets very excited over his post-Kirby work is an indication that without that association he'd be little remembered today.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, Straw-Man said:

i've had c.t. removed on purple labels, to get them blue, and on books i'll die with.  i preferred them be universal, if it was feasible, but it had nothing to do with a $$'s "stake."   this book, once restored, will never be sold by me; my heirs might sell it, but they had no stake in the choice i made.

ww7.jpeg

I agree some will never change hands which i have a few of those.That is a classic to me in everyway and amazing with its new label :luhv:

On 2/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, Straw-Man said:

i've had c.t. removed on purple labels, to get them blue, and on books i'll die with.  i preferred them be universal, if it was feasible, but it had nothing to do with a $$'s "stake."   this book, once restored, will never be sold by me; my heirs might sell it, but they had no stake in the choice i made.

ww7.jpeg

money-grubbing geek

On 2/17/2023 at 11:45 AM, Straw-Man said:

Makes perfect sense if your books are slabbed since they would look better all encased with the same color label.  (thumbsu

Actually, since my entire collection is still virtually all raw, a touch of slight resto doesn't really tend to bother me that much as long as I've been made aware of it prior to purchasing the book.  Definitely also helps to make the price point a lot more reasonable and allows me to purchase books that I would not otherwise be able to afford.  :applause:

And like most slightly restored books if they've been done properly, they just look so beautiful when encased in that shiny glossy mylar sleeve.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/18/2023 at 12:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Makes perfect sense if your books are slabbed since they would look better all encased with the same color label.  (thumbsu

Actually, since my entire collection is still virtually all raw, a touch of slight resto doesn't really tend to bother me that much as long as I've been made aware of it prior to purchasing the book.  Definitely also helps to make the price point a lot more reasonable and allows me to purchase books that I would not otherwise be able to afford.  :applause:

And like most slightly restored books if they've been done properly, they just look so beautiful when encased in that shiny glossy mylar sleeve.  :luhv:

I'm not on the Golden Age threads as much as I used to be, focusing more on Silver Age lately, but I've been meaning to ask you if you post pics of your comics because I can't really recall ever seeing you post any comic pics. So, do you post pics from your collection? 

Edited by Frisco Larson
error

On 2/19/2023 at 10:02 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I'm not on the Golden Age threads as much as I used to be, focusing more on Silver Age lately, but I've been meaning to ask you if you post pics of your comics because I can't really recall ever seeing you post any comic pics. So, do you post pics from your collection? 

No, not directly myself since I am clearly old school in the sense of being both tecnically challenged and also apparently not having the right tools, applications, or whatever to even be able to do this.  :frown:

Though I do remember doing a few indirectly through other boardies accounts, but far too much of a hassle and definitely not worth the trouble. :(

In addition, my collection is way too small and pales in comparison to other boardies here and have not really been buying much of anything nowadays, considering the rather exorbitant price points.  So, I get my fun and enjoyment by living vicariously through the wonderful collections of my fellow boardies here.  :applause:

On 2/20/2023 at 12:48 PM, lou_fine said:

No, not directly myself since I am clearly old school in the sense of being both tecnically challenged and also apparently not having the right tools, applications, or whatever to even be able to do this.  :frown:

Though I do remember doing a few indirectly through other boardies accounts, but far too much of a hassle and definitely not worth the trouble. :(

In addition, my collection is way too small and pales in comparison to other boardies here and have not really been buying much of anything nowadays, considering the rather exorbitant price points.  So, I get my fun and enjoyment by living vicariously through the wonderful collections of my fellow boardies here.  :applause:

Ok, I get that. That's cool. (thumbsu

Wow, although we've seen a lot of feverish heat on some of the later HTF Fox books recently, it looks like this fire is also buring red hot on the early Fox books as clearly evident with these two results from earlier this evening:  :luhv:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/science-comics-2-fox-1940-cgc-apparent-fr-gd-15-slight-c-1-slightly-brittle-pages/a/122308-15662.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Science Comics #2 (Fox, 1940) CGC Apparent FR/GD 1.5 Slight (C-1) Slightly brittle pages....

Sold for $1,920 or something like 2.5X Unrestored condition guide for a C-Rated (i.e. Poor quality) Resto copy with Slightly Brittle Pages;  :whatthe:

And with this one here selling for $1,260 or over 4X Unrestored condition guide for another C-Rated Resto copy with Slightly Brittle Pages: :whatthe:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-10-fox-1940-cgc-apparent-gd-20-slight-c-1-brittle-pages/a/122308-15604.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #10 (Fox, 1940) CGC Apparent GD 2.0 Slight (C-1) Brittle pages....

Makes me wonder what kind of multiple we would see if a relatively HG Unrestored copy of an early Fox book should find its way into today's marketplace, although I imagine we might just have to wait awhile for this to happen. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine