• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Well, let's see (putting detective cap on)...Berk owns the Mile High, a buddy of mine has the Larson, I own the Nova Scotia so it's...it's....Allentown?

(OK I cheated, I see the Allntwn in the image code).

She's a real beauty...

STEVE Got Larson?

Darn image codes.

It's great to see a book that nice not imprisoned! cloud9.gif

Well, let's see (putting detective cap on)...Berk owns the Mile High, a buddy of mine has the Larson, I own the Nova Scotia so it's...it's....Allentown?

(OK I cheated, I see the Allntwn in the image code).

She's a real beauty...

STEVE Got Larson?

Darn image codes.

It's great to see a book that nice not imprisoned! cloud9.gif

My only Allentown copy.....first Lou Fine cover for you history buffs... 1410634-wonder2.jpg

1410634-wonder2.jpg.e27fea0cc04d07bfe333baede2e74b82.jpg

What's truly depressing is that I own a pedigree (Nova Scotia) copy of WonderWorld 8...and it's the worst of the bunch (har!).

STEVE Got Larson? (in this particular case, I don't)

OK, OK - here's the most unworthy FOURTH best known copy (grumble, grumble) of the classic WonderWorld 8:

100_0919.jpg

(just kidding - I love this book)

STEVE Got Larson? (nope, sold it - but Nova Scotia is always nice to visit)

What's truly depressing is that I own a pedigree (Nova Scotia) copy of WonderWorld 8...and it's the worst of the bunch (har!).

STEVE Got Larson? (in this particular case, I don't)

OK, OK - here's the most unworthy FOURTH best known copy (grumble, grumble) of the classic WonderWorld 8:

100_0919.jpg

(just kidding - I love this book)

STEVE Got Larson? (nope, sold it - but Nova Scotia is always nice to visit)

Very nice looking copy Steve. But where is the telltale "M" that is usually found on NS books?

But where is the telltale "M" that is usually found on NS books?

Good Question - there's a pencil squiggle 3/5 the way down on the right edge, but it's not the typical "M" we're used to. I dunno... a spastic moment for the author of the mark perhaps?

I recall being offered the "Allentown" copy of Zip 9 (classic cover). That book - for some unknown reason - has a strange pencil notation in the 'Z' on the cover. Frankly at the time I had never heard of an Allentown Zip, nor of any Allentowns with writing on the cover, so I called Payette and described the book. He remembered and immediately confirmed it, so I did make the purchase.

I only have a handful of NS, but they are all very conistent in quality and presentation.

STEVE Got Larson?

I always felt Tuska also, could be wrong though. I have that book myself & have looked at it over the years & always keep coming back to George Tuska . Maybe Jon Berk knows??

Do not know....but what I DO know is that Tuska did the cover for #6 (as he did for Weird 1). Since Fine was still doing covers up to 9, I do not think Simon started any covers until #10. Also do not know who else BUT Tuska did Fox covers until Simon replaced the Eisner/Iger shop. jon