• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

MMMmmm That's what I pretend my 5.0 looks like.

My mistake. Here is the Church Weird no. 1 by Tuska:

1413953-WeirdComics1%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

893whatthe.gif Sweet copies as always, RHG.

I'm leaning toward neither Tuska nor Simon, to judge by examples you provide. The Tuska and Simon gals are much better drawn than the one on Mystery Men 7 and I don't get a "quality" vibe from the art on the MM7. Then again it could be a rough pencil job that was then inked badly by someone else.

RHG, when did you pick up all these church copies you've posting lately? Unless you were picking them up in the 70s and 80s I shudder to think what they cost flamed.gif but my word are they gorgeous cloud9.gif

GCD credits Mystery Men #7's cover to someone named Charles Nicholas. I don't know who that is.

You've seen his work -- but which Charles Nicholas??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nicholas_(comics)

"Charles Nicholas" is the pseudonymous "house name" of three early creators of American comic books for the Fox Feature Syndicate and Fox Comics.

Probably this one: Charles Nicholas Wojtkoski. He's also the Nicholas of "Nicholas Alascia" on about a zillion Charlton books.

Jack

Comstock??? - I'm not familiar with those...any details?

Here's the Tuska cover to Mystery Men 6:

100_0961.jpg

STEVE Got Larson? (affirmative, but the name is erased on this copy)

Steve;

I absolutely love the reds and greens on the cover of Mystery Men #6. In the old days, this cover was always attributed to Lou Fine. Rather surprising that Tuska could come up with such a gorgeous cover.

With respect to the Comstock copies, I believe they are also called the Carson City pedigree. The first bunch of these books were apparently found by Mark Wilson. Something about an old lady storing them in an outhouse or something like that. I believe the history of this pedigree is covered in the pedigree issue of CBM #32.

I think the books were kept in sheds on her property sliped in between newspaper sections. I may be mistaken but I thought she threw a load of the newspaper away before realizing what was in them. Again I may be mistaken. The books are supposedly great in color and page quality. The one I have certainly seems to agree with that assesment. It is fairly surprising considering they were in Nevada in the summer. Although I suppose the argument for Nevada in the winter could cover the preservation. Back to the Fox books......

As always, the books you folks are posting are a very tough act to follow! Nevertheless... smile.gif

Here's Weird Comics #5, August 1940. Always liked this cover, and couldn't resist picking this up in a recent ebay auction. First apperance of superhero "The Dart" -- and funny enough, the splash page drawing of The Dart looks to be a pretty direct swipe of Superman from the cover of Action #26, on sale the month before!

1416879-weird5small.jpg

1416879-weird5small.jpg.a3ca3bbf55ad451c06ce3b723963f982.jpg

I think the books were kept in sheds on her property sliped in between newspaper sections. I may be mistaken but I thought she threw a load of the newspaper away before realizing what was in them. Again I may be mistaken. The books are supposedly great in color and page quality. The one I have certainly seems to agree with that assesment. It is fairly surprising considering they were in Nevada in the summer. Although I suppose the argument for Nevada in the winter could cover the preservation. Back to the Fox books......

Exactly....beautiful books...

Any identifying marks or features on Comstocks or Carson Citys?

I just looked at mine (obviously not a definitive test) there isn't anything on the cover. No distributor marks just really nice colors and really nice PQ. Am I mistaken or is the Pedigree very small?