• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

In other news, check this out. Here's a bizarre Canadian variant of Fantastic Comics #16 that just came on ebay. Must be one of the earlier Canadian counterparts of a US book in general (early 1941). I've never seen this before...anyone else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-COMICS-16-...1QQcmdZViewItem

1386097-e3_1.JPG

1386097-e3_1.JPG.ed2385f5e63cba8fcb1aeccd97c547cb.JPG

893applaud-thumb.gif Congratulations on that amazing feat Jon. Hearing of people like you or RHG reuniting some Church runs is simply awesome.

We've talked about the Kooba Cola but I don't recall anyone posting the ad -

1386960-Fox-KoobaColaAd.jpg

and here's a Fox line-up in-house ad -

1386960-FoxLineUpAd.jpg

1386960-FoxLineUpAd.jpg.abc2e32b7e3a334a683ce783d761e4f8.jpg

You are also correct that Fantomah begins in Jungle #2. I think that Hanks did that Tabu story in Jungle #1. Can someone (Jon B.) verify this? thanks,

-P.

Yes, "Hank Fletcher" is credited for the Tabu story in Jungle # 1.

And Hanks (as "Barclay Flagg") indeed handled Fantomah starting in Jungle # 2.

Great Stuff...

STEVE

Always looking for Larson copies

lou_fine inquired (in another thread) about the Allentown copy of Mystery Men # 3 that I sold a decade ago in San Diego.

Lou, you have a good memory - I did move the book (at 3.33 Guide) to a Florida based collector. While that was a good sale at the time, it didn't quite cover the simultaneous losses I suffered while purging my collection of several key Golden Age books that turned out to have hidden restoration on them. Such is life (and this hobby...).

I was hoping to obtain the Larson MM 3 (<gawk> Berk alert! Berk alert!) but so far that deal has not yet materialized.

Subsequently the MM3 made it's way back to California to the same private collector who has since obtained all my other Fox Allentowns.

The Allentown Fox books I had were all very nice, both structurally and "feel"-wise. Page quality was a nice off-white. A strong pedigree IMHO - the only Allentown books I have left are three MLJs: Pep 8, Pep 9, and Zip 9.

Jon is correct (as always) - the stunning Lou Fine covers really enhance the appeal and desirability of the Fox books...I really like them a lot.

STEVE

Got Larson?

Perhaps this will help jumpstart this excellent thread...

WW7Crop.jpg

STEVE

Got Larson? (Yup - and 2 are better than 1!)

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I know most will drool more heavily over the Fantastic #3 - but that Wonderworld #7 is AMAZING!!!

Your books are simply phenomenal! You and Jon Berk have to be considered the masters of this genre.

One question: It seems like a number of your books have a slight roll at the spine, coming towards the viewer. Is that an artifact of the way they were scanned, or was there something about the type of storage that created this?

In any case, they're simply stunning. hail.gifhail.gif

Your books are simply phenomenal! You and Jon Berk have to be considered the masters of this genre.

One question: It seems like a number of your books have a slight roll at the spine, coming towards the viewer. Is that an artifact of the way they were scanned, or was there something about the type of storage that created this?

Yes, it's the (poor) way that I take the photos ...at an angle so the camera flash doesn't appear. The books are indeed flat (not rolled).

I'm brand new to this picture business, and still learning the tricks of the trade.

Geez, that's a nice Rex Jon (what else would we expect from Church)...now get that darn thing in a stiff mylar for goodness sakes! (haha).

STEVE

Got Larson?

Yes, it's the (poor) way that I take the photos ...at an angle so the camera flash doesn't appear. The books are indeed flat (not rolled).

I'm brand new to this picture business, and still learning the tricks of the trade.

Geez, that's a nice Rex Jon (what else would we expect from Church)...now get that darn thing in a stiff mylar for goodness sakes! (haha).

STEVE

Got Larson?

The distortion is slight -- you're doing a great job on the photos and they look very close in quality to scans.

Keep 'em coming! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Steve, do you know which pedigree this is?

1410246-Wonderworld8%28Allntwn%29%282%29.jpg

Well, let's see (putting detective cap on)...Berk owns the Mile High, a buddy of mine has the Larson, I own the Nova Scotia so it's...it's....Allentown?

(OK I cheated, I see the Allntwn in the image code).

She's a real beauty...

STEVE Got Larson?