• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Nice Job....I've got a #2 for you.....and a 41 also poke2.gif

Really? I had no idea you had a #2 for sale...you've been much too quiet about it... 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I appreciate the heads-up, and it's a great book, but I'll have to pass...I'd just rather not spend $300+ on an SA book, unless it's one I'm dying to have.

Leaving aside #1 and #2, I'm basically down to needing these "minor key" books (1st Mysterio, 1st Scorpion, 1st Rhino) which in my opinion are more than a bit overpriced in the guide. (Why is #13 valued at 25% more than #11 and #12, the 2nd & 3rd Doc Ock stories? Are there Mysterio completists out there?) I think ebay prices are quite a bit softer than guide on these, so with patience I hope to get lucky as I did with the #16.

Nice Job....I've got a #2 for you.....and a 41 also poke2.gif

Really? I had no idea you had a #2 for sale...you've been much too quiet about it... 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I appreciate the heads-up, and it's a great book, but I'll have to pass...I'd just rather not spend $300+ on an SA book, unless it's one I'm dying to have.

Leaving aside #1 and #2, I'm basically down to needing these "minor key" books (1st Mysterio, 1st Scorpion, 1st Rhino) which in my opinion are more than a bit overpriced in the guide. (Why is #13 valued at 25% more than #11 and #12, the 2nd & 3rd Doc Ock stories? Are there Mysterio completists out there?) I think ebay prices are quite a bit softer than guide on these, so with patience I hope to get lucky as I did with the #16.

27_laughing.gif I didn't say I was quiet about it....and I take time payments....think about it like buying a less expensive book monthly. I also have the 41 poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

I've been working on my ASM run and wondered about Annuals and Giant Size. Are any of them worth picking up? I hate annuals becuase the stories are usually just reprints, but noticed for example that #1 is the first appearance of the Sinister Six.

Also, how do Spectacular Spider-man 1 & 2 (magazine) fit into the continuity?

Thanks,

Hey John,

Annual #1 is pretty much essential if you like the early ASMs...one of the best Spidey stories ever! smile.gif As you say, it's the first appearance of the Sinister Six by Lee and Ditko, and a terrific read. They really worked their hearts out on this book.

Annual #2 is also quite good. It kicks off with a non-reprint Spidey and Dr. Strange story by Ditko, and has backup reprint stories from ASM #1, 2 & 5 (reprints starting to creep in...).

I've never read the Spectacular mag #1, but #2 is an excellent Norman Osborn/Green Goblin story (56 pages, I believe!) and fits right into the continuity of the then-current ASM stories (it's the only full GG appearance between ASM #40 & #96). Well worth getting this one as well.

Also, how do Spectacular Spider-man 1 & 2 (magazine) fit into the continuity?

Thanks,

Spec Spidey 2 is required reading. Its referred to about 10 times in the run from 41 to 80 with a couple Green Goblin panels and Osborn going nutso type stuff and the mag comes out you get no Goblin until issue 96. The main problem is it doesn't fit well in any boxes. Good news is a high grade raw will probably only run you $60-$100. Even CGC copies in 9.6 only cost $3-400 or so.