• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,068 posts in this topic

Hey Claudio, the Agents of Shield I am referring to is the TV series. The entire plot line of the last 10 episodes has dealt with the Inhumans and finding The lost city. It is a very good storyline and excellent TV.

BUdsbundy, I hear you, it stinks when you just miss out on a key when the prices shoot up. I have been there many times. Marvel has surprised my skeptical nature many times over the years. I did not think they could pull off Iron Man. I was wrong. I thought Thor would be cheesy. I was very wrong. I did not think they could pull off a tree that only says three words and a Racoon that shoots a giant gun. I was wrong again. I am a believer and think Black Bolt and the Inhumans might be incredibly challenging but it could be the best yet. Read Silent War for a great modern storyline or War of Kings. This story could be spectacular and I agree the CGI with Medusa's hair could be amazing.

Hey Claudio, the Agents of Shield I am referring to is the TV series. The entire plot line of the last 10 episodes has dealt with the Inhumans and finding The lost city. It is a very good storyline and excellent TV.

BUdsbundy, I hear you, it stinks when you just miss out on a key when the prices shoot up. I have been there many times. Marvel has surprised my skeptical nature many times over the years. I did not think they could pull off Iron Man. I was wrong. I thought Thor would be cheesy. I was very wrong. I did not think they could pull off a tree that only says three words and a Racoon that shoots a giant gun. I was wrong again. I am a believer and think Black Bolt and the Inhumans might be incredibly challenging but it could be the best yet. Read Silent War for a great modern storyline or War of Kings. This story could be spectacular and I agree the CGI with Medusa's hair could be amazing.

...and we must also remember that they rarely present something "as is".... there will be twists in the representations of the characters that may surprise. I've enjoyed every movie released so far...except possibly Man Thing and Blade 3......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I still think Medusa is really going to be the key to this movie being a success.

Completely agree. The right casting and nailing the fx for the hair takes them 75 percent of the way towards selling this movie in the trailers.

Problem is that in most cases today the quality of a movie, even of an "action" movie, is almost measured in how surprising or spectacular are the special effects, and in finding a "good" actor alone (whatever that means).

This is something which can work with "throwaway" entertainment (but even then I doubt so). The lasting value of a movie (as of any other form of narrative) ultimately lies in the story, and how this affects the characters.

BTW, I am not interested in Marvel movies at all, I was speaking in general. hm

Thanks, I seemed to get that Shield TV series was set in a more "realistic" way, i.e. without much slant on powers et al (I am thinking of what I have read of the "Deathlok" they have used, for example), so it‘s quite a surprise to hear this.

BUdsbundy, I hear you, it stinks when you just miss out on a key when the prices shoot up.

It is, but #41 is not a key after all – I believe he will surely have other opportunities even if he wants a high grade copy. :)

BUdsbundy, I hear you, it stinks when you just miss out on a key when the prices shoot up.

It is, but #41 is not a key after all – I believe he will surely have other opportunities even if he wants a high grade copy. :)

You can definitely get one. I picked up a CGC 8.5 for $75 last month. Just have to be watchful!

You can definitely get one. I picked up a CGC 8.5 for $75 last month. Just have to be watchful!

Sweet!

Agreed, it will happen.

It's more the 46 that I'm irritated about as it has really shot up in price.

I sold a FF 45, 46, 52, and 53 to a local collector about 2 years ago to fund another project I was working on at the time. All were in the 8.5-9.2 range. I can't remember exactly what we agreed on, because there were quite a few other books in the deal we made, but I would be shocked if I charged more than a grand for all 4 of them.

:hindsight:

Agreed, it will happen.

It's more the 46 that I'm irritated about as it has really shot up in price.

I guess there is a good number of people irritated by the price spike on #46 (not to mention #45)… :P

I got my 45 upgrade just before the prices took off, so I'm thankful for that.

I already have decent copies of 46 and 41, I'm just trying to upgrade them, so it's not the end of the world if I have to wait a while for the right deal to come along.

On the positive side, I did finally get a really nice issue 66 the other day, so I'm pretty happy about that as I have been trying to upgrade it for almost a year.

My 46 CGC 9.0 old label was one of the first 5 CGC slabbed comics I ever purchased back in 2005. Maybe one of the first 2? hm I know my #32 was up there too in tha first 10 books...

God it must've been cheap then... :o Don't remember what I paid but probably between $50 and $75 bucks...definitely less than $100...

Correction: Purchased in March 2006.

FANTASTICFOUR46CGC90OW_zpsb2057946.jpg

Edited by trmoore54

On the positive side, I did finally get a really nice issue 66 the other day, so I'm pretty happy about that as I have been trying to upgrade it for almost a year.

#66 is a milestone: great story, great cover, and a lot tougher to find in grade than the second part of the story in #67. (thumbs u

My 46 CGC 9.0 old label was one of the first 5 CGC slabbed comics I ever purchased back in 2005. Maybe one of the first 2? hm I know my #32 was up there too in tha first 10 books...

God it must've been cheap then... :o Don't remember what I paid but probably between $50 and $75 bucks...definitely less than $100...

I bought my first #3 in 2002-2003 for about $220, now hard to find a decent GDVG/VG- for less than $400-500. And that was one of the issues which did not spike. hm

Probably the very first CGC graded book I ever bought, around 2003, was this old label FF 45, 9.0 ow, for just under $150. Wow, what a bargain!

ff45_zpsbd4db0fd.jpg

Plus, I still have the same 7.0/7.5 copy I've had since the early '80's. I'm going to get that one slabbed soon and cash in on this feeding frenzy.

Also glad I picked up this one in 2011 for $140. The spine is what sold me on this copy.

ff66_zpsjxz98xvx.jpg

It has great centering. I love my copy (and the cover is crazy white) but it’s a bit miswrapped. My second copy has a great wrap but has some small water staining on the rop right. This made me undecided on which one I should keep, but given #65-67 are among my favorite issues, I have kept both for now. hm

Q5fC0D2l.jpg hD6dLXXl.jpg

I agree nice #66 copy, the centering is very nice mine is almost exact just not as high a grade. lol

And yet another few parcels arrived yesterday and a few from a local con on Sunday. Gradually getting my collection back to where it was. :banana:

March_02_zpsxezmkedt.jpg

nH5Xq15.jpg

#66 is a milestone: great story, great cover, and a lot tougher to find in grade than the second part of the story in #67. (thumbs u

I bought my first #3 in 2002-2003 for about $220, now hard to find a decent GDVG/VG- for less than $400-500. And that was one of the issues which did not spike. hm

Another way to look at the current situation is this: with all the attention being given to Inhumans, Black Panther, and Adam Warlock appearances, now is the perfect time to go and pick up any of the other issues, like FF 48 thru 51, 55 thru 63, etc. Prices on these books should actually be fairly reasonable, what with more expendable income being devoted to the "hot" books.

Also glad I picked up this one in 2011 for $140. The spine is what sold me on this copy.

ff66_zpsjxz98xvx.jpg

It has great centering. I love my copy (and the cover is crazy white) but it’s a bit miswrapped. My second copy has a great wrap but has some small water staining on the rop right. This made me undecided on which one I should keep, but given #65-67 are among my favorite issues, I have kept both for now. hm

Q5fC0D2l.jpg hD6dLXXl.jpg

Nice copies all around! :headbang: