• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be a part of this thread!

I picked up #47 because it was Maximus the Mad's first appearance! I thought it was a good place to start. Does the CGC acknowledge Mad Max's first appearance when they grade #47? On all the slabbed ones I've seen on eBay they don't, but I didn't know if they were older and maybe they have changed it since then? Seems weird not to acknowledge him.

Edited by Greatest Lantern

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be a part of this thread!

I picked up #47 because it was Maximus the Mad's first appearance! I thought it was a good place to start. Does the CGC acknowledge Mad Max's first appearance when they grade #47? On all the slabbed ones I've seen on eBay they don't, but I didn't know if they were older and maybe they have changed it since then? Seems weird not to acknowledge him.

Mine does not. Mine says Inhumans and Dragon Man appearance. It seems others just say Inhumans appearance.

Thanks! One day I would like to have some of those amazing comics that I've seen over the last page or two :)

....If you haven't read them yet, you're in for a treat. The first 100 are masterpieces of the medium..... especially from about #30-67....those are kind of like the launching pad to the Marvel Universe. ASM during this same period also debuted a bunch of new concepts.... but they were mostly self contained in that title.... it was the FF title that really gave birth to the broadening of the horizons. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I just started my FF collection today. I'm a newb to comics in general, fell in love with the Black Bolt and the inhumans over the past few months (yes, even before the movie hype hit high gear) and that in turn got me into old FF. Today I just purchased a copy of FF#47 on ebay for a good price. I will post a pic when I get it.

Welcome to a great club. Silver Age Fantastic Fours are timeless masterpieces. You cannot go wrong collecting and reading any issue. Too me they are still all under valued (well most of them). In particular 47 is a great choice because of MM and it should go up in value once they announce plot details as the movie gets closer.

You have officially made me want a Kirby page now. I've thought about it for a bit, but maybe this will be one of my next missions. Ahh, it never ends.

I love owning Kirby pages! Do it! :baiting:

Where do I start looking? I'm probably opening up a can of worms lol

Seems weird not to acknowledge him.

Not particularly. CGC, before all this "movie hype" phenomenon, used to list mostly the chiefly important appearances or events, so they listed "First appearance of the Frightful Four" in #36 but not Maximus, for example, which – as important as a villain to the Inhumans he might be, it’s not as relevant as – say – Annihilus or Galactus.

Fantastic Four #58

Massachusetts pedigree

From a superior, underappreciated collection with remarkable preservation of paper and cover inks. This ish is part of a titanic story arc with Doom, the Surfer, and some of the Inhumans all involved. Chrisco's favorite. ;)

FF58ped.jpg

Nice book. I keep patiently waiting for a 9.6 W copy to pop up for sale.

Well, after seeing that Bob was selling these books, I ended up getting my wish and buying the #58. I also upgraded my #75 9.4 OW/W with a 9.6 W. Thanks again Bob!

ff75102182.jpg

Fantastic Four #58

Massachusetts pedigree

From a superior, underappreciated collection with remarkable preservation of paper and cover inks. This ish is part of a titanic story arc with Doom, the Surfer, and some of the Inhumans all involved. Chrisco's favorite. ;)

FF58ped.jpg

Nice book. I keep patiently waiting for a 9.6 W copy to pop up for sale.

Well, after seeing that Bob was selling these books, I ended up getting my wish and buying the #58. I also upgraded my #75 9.4 OW/W with a 9.6 W. Thanks again Bob!

ff75102182.jpg

Wow very nice. that #75 :cloud9:

This copy is very sweet and I was tempted when it was on sale but more or less mine is in the same grade. :)

And my lowly upgrade from yesterday. lol Far far better than my current copy.

FF_52_6.5_Cover_1024x1024_zpsvbybzkyy.jpg

Yeah hard to pass it up with the way it's raising in price thought I better upgrade now. What grade is your at then? If it wasn't for that faint red mark on the price. :censored:lol

Here’s mine, in the FN range – actually I don’t mind the red mark and slight erasing in the price box, I almost like your copy more than mine.

Also yours is from the other print run (they surely had two print runs at the time, as the one of mine has the small lack of ink blot on the Panther's chest and the Magenta plate is less saturated, while yours has a "clean" Panther but the Magenta plate is a bit strong, which results in a better Torch but a bit red Thing… lol ).

P1gt3tah.jpg

You have officially made me want a Kirby page now. I've thought about it for a bit, but maybe this will be one of my next missions. Ahh, it never ends.

Original comic art can indeed be a can of worms; rabbit hole; new, all-encompassing obsession...proceed with caution! :grin:

Do your homework first, of course. Heritage archives are a great resource, watch ebay, clink, comicconnect, etc. Over in the OA threads there are lots of reputable dealers listed. A weird thing with OA is that no one wants to be the first to attach a price to a page. Be ready for a metric ton of "make me an offer" and "where are you on this". Romitaman has a lot of neat Kirby pages, and they actually list prices! (kinda like a new car sticker, tho. Haggling is expected.)

The guys in the OA section will be of way more help than me, however. Check it out, and have fun!

Original comic art can indeed be a can of worms; rabbit hole; new, all-encompassing obsession...proceed with caution! :grin:

Do your homework first, of course. Heritage archives are a great resource, watch ebay, clink, comicconnect, etc. Over in the OA threads there are lots of reputable dealers listed. A weird thing with OA is that no one wants to be the first to attach a price to a page. Be ready for a metric ton of "make me an offer" and "where are you on this". Romitaman has a lot of neat Kirby pages, and they actually list prices! (kinda like a new car sticker, tho. Haggling is expected.)

The guys in the OA section will be of way more help than me, however. Check it out, and have fun!

I have seen a couple Romita pieces that were like new cars for sure. I'm sure Kirby's are like that and of course more. I have poked around a little some time ago, but I just may. I have some time off this week, so hopefully I could have some fun. Thanks! I'm thinking in my head it could be something I could work towards in the future (Highly unlikely, I know, as there are thousands of comics and only one specific piece of art from those comics). It will be fun to look for now though.