• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

I keep thinking on rebuilding my complete collection again since I sold off a bunch of my earlier issues for art buy then I would have to sell off a cover or two :P

You shouldn’t have sold the earlier ones… :baiting:

Seriously, I have been thinking to sell my Fantastic Four page to purchase a #1 but in the end I think I will sell a number of books and try to get a lower grade #1: a copy with a mutilated back cover would be ideal! lol

As much as I love FF they are very common in that I can complete the collection within a week if I had the money. I still have Most of the run as my copies were several deep in many cases. I am thinking about putting together a pence copy run for fun a bit more challenging in higher grades.

Can't be too many of these around in this grade... :o

5 to be exact...

FANTASTIC FOUR #12 CGC 9.6

fan1_14887a_zpsyaxoxwcq.jpg

...nice pick up Tom :golfclap: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.......who am I supposed to send Hulk to next ?

Can't be too many of these around in this grade... :o

5 to be exact...

FANTASTIC FOUR #12 CGC 9.6

fan1_14887a_zpsyaxoxwcq.jpg

...nice pick up Tom :golfclap: GOD BLESS....

.......who am I supposed to send Hulk to next ?

Not my pickup Jim...I wish... :insane:

Currently up for grabs in the ComiConnect Event Auction...

I keep thinking on rebuilding my complete collection again since I sold off a bunch of my earlier issues for art buy then I would have to sell off a cover or two :P

You shouldn’t have sold the earlier ones… :baiting:

Seriously, I have been thinking to sell my Fantastic Four page to purchase a #1 but in the end I think I will sell a number of books and try to get a lower grade #1: a copy with a mutilated back cover would be ideal! lol

As much as I love FF they are very common in that I can complete the collection within a week if I had the money. I still have Most of the run as my copies were several deep in many cases. I am thinking about putting together a pence copy run for fun a bit more challenging in higher grades.

Well, it’s not a matter of money to me… or better, it’s a matter of money up to the point I would never spend over a certain amount – but as long a Lee/Kirby FF book has entered my collection, it doesn’t move! :sumo:

So, as you know, I have been in the process of upgrading all my FF's to 7.0 or better.

One of the books currently on my active want list is #37, and I noticed that almost all of them, even in high grade have some spine issues, from color breaking creases(to just small non-color breaking creases), to drag marks(?) down the length of the spine.

Way more often than any other issue number I have seen.

Anyone know why this is?

The dark cover?

Production error?

Something else?

I'm having a heck of a time finding one reasonably priced with a nice looking spine.

I'm a spine nut also.....it can be a deal breaker for me. You should try a WTB for the book that specifies your parameters and price range.....I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. For a while that book was considered one of the tougher ones from '65 in high grade. GOD BLESS...

Yeah, FF 37 (along with FF 48) is another one that's notoriously hard to find with an evenly folded and stapled spine. Of the numerous variables within any given grade, an even spine is one of the most important to me, as well.

This FF 50 really should have a black background for greater contrast, but this is about as close to my ideal spine alignment as it gets.

ff50_zpsawsancj1.jpg

don and maggie did right by their 37 spine.

ff37-1.jpg

That's a beauty for sure.

Also a good example of what I'm talking about.

If you look close, you can see the tics and faint drag(?) marks on the spine I'm talking about, even on a high grade example like that.

Look on the arm by the spine, they are super faint, but still visible.

It's like they were issued like that, and then got more pronounced as people handled the books.

Claudio! I picked this up Saturday in NYC at the Mike Carbo Comic Con. Purchased from Superworld Comics.

Wow! – I would give a leg to have that FF #5… :o

Well, actually one of my dinner table legs, as much as I love it I care about my legs… lol

My 37

Normally I have zero-tolerance for white on the spine...but in this case the book presented itself to me and I thought the thin sliver (about 1/32 inch) of white was vertically perfect (and it had the SN pedigree attribute) and that balanced out and I was happy to add this book to my set.

FANTASTIC%20FOUR%2037%20CGC%209.0%20OWW%20SUSCHA%20NEWS_zpsfgqvvydc.jpg

Edited by trmoore54

My 37

Normally I have zero-tolerance for white on the spine...but in this case the book presented itself to me and I thought the thin sliver (about 1/32 inch) of white was vertically perfect (and it had the SN pedigree attribute) and that balanced out and I was happy to add this book to my set.

FANTASTIC%20FOUR%2037%20CGC%209.0%20OWW%20SUSCHA%20NEWS_zpsfgqvvydc.jpg

That's as nice as any I've seen yet, and I've looked at well over 100 copies in my search.

I've found that the only ones that don't seem to have the creases and drag/scuff marks are the ones where there is a little bit of white stripe showing.

Yours might be the nicest spine I've seen yet, and that tiny white stripe wouldn't bother either as it's so small and the alignment of the cover is so straight.

I'd be thrilled to find something like that.

I'll bet it wasn't cheap.