• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

I love Paste Pot Pete, and I love the Inhumans, but of course any hype which generates this kind of way is nonsense… :)

You say you doubt the movies will be "bad": but "bad" has many meanings in this case – I just don’t like what they did with these movies since the beginning so I could not care less outside of how much they affect my collecting. :(

Thankfully I already had a #36 (for over ten years) and a #45 and #52, but yes, my #46 is also in need of upgrading… oh, well, I guess I should just be thankful to have them all.

As for #65-66-67: I got fixated on the book as it’s the period I love most, so I started to buy them a minute before they exploded, so I managed to choose between many copies of #67, then sold the others. Sometimes you are forced to do so in this crazy collecting climate… :shrug:

Undercopies make the world go 'round....... speaking of which, PM coming..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I guess I could be wrong, but didn't everybody say the same thing about the Guardians movie when it was announced?

Until Marvel actually puts out a bad product, I wouldn't bank on any movie attached to them being a lemon.

I'm not saying the prices are justified at all, I'm just not convinced that this movie is going to suck.

Yeah. Without commenting on current price levels, there's a few things in play here:

1) There's a BIG difference between a Marvel movie from Fox and a Marvel movie from Marvel Studios / Disney. It's hard to overstate the importance of that moving forward, unless by some chance Marvel pulls another studio-crossover rabbit out of their hat (like Sony/Marvel).

2) There will probably always be way more high grade 48's on the census than there are 45's or 36's, due to well-known warehouse finds.

3) Because of (1), unless the status quo changes, the Inhumans will be considered vastly more important characters in a decade than they are today, because Marvel has a great incentive to make that so. They have no such incentive for Surfer/Galactus (because they can't make the movies themselves).

Certainly, there's the usual movie spikes going on here, but there's also some pretty sound reasoning that suggests #45 > #48 over the long term. It might not play out that way, but I wouldn't bet against it.

I guess I could be wrong, but didn't everybody say the same thing about the Guardians movie when it was announced?

Until Marvel actually puts out a bad product, I wouldn't bank on any movie attached to them being a lemon.

I'm not saying the prices are justified at all, I'm just not convinced that this movie is going to suck.

Yeah. Without commenting on current price levels, there's a few things in play here:

1) There's a BIG difference between a Marvel movie from Fox and a Marvel movie from Marvel Studios / Disney. It's hard to overstate the importance of that moving forward, unless by some chance Marvel pulls another studio-crossover rabbit out of their hat (like Sony/Marvel).

2) There will probably always be way more high grade 48's on the census than there are 45's or 36's, due to well-known warehouse finds.

3) Because of (1), unless the status quo changes, the Inhumans will be considered vastly more important characters in a decade than they are today, because Marvel has a great incentive to make that so. They have no such incentive for Surfer/Galactus (because they can't make the movies themselves).

Certainly, there's the usual movie spikes going on here, but there's also some pretty sound reasoning that suggests #45 > #48 over the long term. It might not play out that way, but I wouldn't bet against it.

....and let's face it, the Inhumans are one COOL concept..... coupled with the exceptional cover to #45 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

....and let's face it, the Inhumans are one COOL concept..... coupled with the exceptional cover to #45 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

I couldn't agree more. They've always been my co-favorites, along with The Defenders.

I've always the found majority of the inhumans to be boring and uninteresting.

Take Black Bolt, can't speak, has that little antenna, and for the longest time his only form of communication was how he stood,

Look, Black Bolt is doing his posture of agreement!

Why didn't they just make up a thought translator that he could wear that would speak for him in a mechanical voice???

Basically the two best characters IMO are Medusa and Lockjaw.

I couldn't agree more. They've always been my co-favorites, along with The Defenders.

I think we might go along VERY WELL. :cloud9:

Take Black Bolt, can't speak, has that little antenna, and for the longest time his only form of communication was how he stood,

Why didn't they just make up a thought translator that he could wear that would speak for him in a mechanical voice???

Aww… give me a break :D – that was and is the most fascinating aspect of Black Bolt (and Medusa). What makes you think everyone could invent a "thought translator" overnight? The Marvel age of comics has always been highly imaginative but not unlikely. Now it has become unlikely and very little imaginative (with good peace of presumptuous writers).

And the "little antenna" as you call it, belongs to Lockjaw as well. ;)

I can see a Surfer/Galactus movie in the horizon

I guess it would be one of the first choices they would have if they’ll have to produce a Marvel studios new movie.

Either that one or a Dr. Doom based one, since they have always been the most popular themes from classic FFs.

I can see a Surfer/Galactus movie in the horizon

Not sure how they would do that, thought SS belonged to Fox and Big G to Marvel/Disney. At least I thought I read that somewhere that is why he wasn't actually in the second FF movie, could be wrong though.

Aww… give me a break :D – that was and is the most fascinating aspect of Black Bolt (and Medusa). What makes you think everyone could invent a "thought translator" overnight? The Marvel age of comics has always been highly imaginative but not unlikely. Now it has become unlikely and very little imaginative (with good peace of presumptuous writers).

What makes me think that they could invent a translator is the medium, comic books, think of all the crazy stuff they have invented for comic books, take the ultimate nullifier for example(from the same time period as black bolts first appearance), a device that can destroy anything in the universe and is the size of a cell phone, so with that in mind is a speaking device for black bolt really that much of a stretch of the imagination?

And speaking of cell phones, could black bolt maybe send a couple text messages every now and then to clear up any confusion about what he really means instead of trying to communicate through body poses?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and mine is that black bolt is BORING

Why is everyone crying in their beer? Because the prices are too high? Come on fellas the Inhumans rock. The books were way undervalued and now they are mid priced. Issues 46, 42 and 47 are still somewhat reasonable. And you can always grab Thor 146-152 for the origin issues. Pick those up while you can. I don't see high grade prices dropping for any of the key Inhumans books. Great art, great stories, a movie on the horizon and don't forget the great Agents of Shield storyline that is building the modern version of the Inhumans storyline.

My "opinion" is that taste does not constitute a valid argument per se.

As much "crazy stuff" as you call it, they have imagined in the Marvel age, as I said Black Bolt limitation has probably more to it than being just an "inability to speak" (due to its power).

It is an inability to communicate, his limit is strictly related to his power and role – that’s all it forms his personal value as a character, so in my opinion you can’t discard it by simply saying "it’s boring": that is not an opinion, it’s merely taste.

I can say that I don’t like certain (many) current comics, and I can argument to death the reason for which I don’t consider them valid artistic products, but I think we should always try to say more than just "I like it" and "I don’t like it" – that’s what I meant, nothing personal. :)

@Bronx: I would like to upgrade my #46 but honestly it is already out of reach for me. Not all people loving Marvel comics are willing to spend hundreds on each and every book of the run. :shrug:

Which is the "Agent of Shield" storyline? By "modern version" are you referring to something specific? The new Ms. Marvel is also an Inhuman, and I think it will be a core title for what Marvel is intentioned to do, regardless.

The last issues featured Medusa and Lockjaw. I quite like the title, and now it has some Fantastic Four tint to it… ;)

My "opinion" is that taste does not constitute a valid argument per se.

As much "crazy stuff" as you call it, they have imagined in the Marvel age, as I said Black Bolt limitation has probably more to it than being just an "inability to speak" (due to its power).

It is an inability to communicate, his limit is strictly related to his power and role – that’s all it forms his personal value as a character, so in my opinion you can’t discard it by simply saying "it’s boring": that is not an opinion, it’s merely taste.

I can say that I don’t like certain (many) current comics, and I can argument to death the reason for which I don’t consider them valid artistic products, but I think we should always try to say more than just "I like it" and "I don’t like it" – that’s what I meant, nothing personal. :)

@Bronx: I would like to upgrade my #46 but honestly it is already out of reach for me. Not all people loving Marvel comics are willing to spend hundreds on each and every book of the run. :shrug:

Which is the "Agent of Shield" storyline? By "modern version" are you referring to something specific? The new Ms. Marvel is also an Inhuman, and I think it will be a core title for what Marvel is intentioned to do, regardless.

The last issues featured Medusa and Lockjaw. I quite like the title, and now it has some Fantastic Four tint to it… ;)

Black Bolt is the leader of the Inhumans.

Imagine if the President came out for his next state of the nation address, and didn't say a word, but instead did a series of "body poses", one, no one would have any idea what he's trying to communicate, and two, he wouldn't be president for long with such a marked inability to communicate.

I guarantee you one thing, when the Inhumans movie comes out, they will NOT have black bolt communicating through a series of body poses only.

Helen Keller style communication skills does not make for a box office superstar IMO.

Medusa will make or break that movie, not the black bore and his body poses.

What makes me think that they could invent a translator is the medium, comic books, think of all the crazy stuff they have invented for comic books, take the ultimate nullifier for example(from the same time period as black bolts first appearance), a device that can destroy anything in the universe and is the size of a cell phone, so with that in mind is a speaking device for black bolt really that much of a stretch of the imagination?

And speaking of cell phones, could black bolt maybe send a couple text messages every now and then to clear up any confusion about what he really means instead of trying to communicate through body poses?

The early Inhumans issues in FF were difficult for Lee to dialogue as Kirby introduced multi-issue plots and let his imagination soar. Lee was not always able to predict where the plots and character development were heading. We see all sorts of plot confusion when we read the books one after another -- flaws that the monthly reader could easily miss in 1965 as they were caught up in the action. (thumbs u

I still think Medusa is really going to be the key to this movie being a success.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Inhumans, I've just never really been that into them.

I believe Medusa has the potential to be the greatest onscreen superhero in history done right.

I picture her walking into a room of bad guys, looking at her nails, blowing on them, rubbing them on her shirt, and then looking at them again, appearing to be completely disinterested in what's going on around her, meanwhile her hair is going crazy, grabbing people, and smashing them into walls, and throwing them out windows.

Hell yeah! That's what I'm looking forward to, and IMO, the key to success for this movie.(Medusa!!!)

I'm curious to see how they handle a non-speaking black bolt.

I'm looking forward to the film, I just wish I had got my upgrade of 46 before the prices went crazy. :pullhair:

It looks like all the early inhuman appearances are starting to rise in price, I just missed out on a nice FF41 last night with an early Medusa appearance when the bidding started to get higher than I wanted to pay(or felt was reasonable pre hype), so that's probably contributing to my slightly bitter tone when discussing the inhumans

Edited by budsbundy

Medusa has objectively been one of the characters which were developed more and more in depth, considering as early as the early 1970s she also was a temporary member of the Fantastic Four (written by Gerry Conway).

These are just great stories, they show a big maturation in the characters and are dramatic and insightful at the same time.

Even if one is put off the ingenuities/fault spots in storylines highlighted by Rodan, the 1974 Inhumans original series was very good as well.

Hey, #41 is not THAT essential (and also has not-so-stellar inking), so cheer up budsbundy. :D

I still think Medusa is really going to be the key to this movie being a success.

Completely agree. The right casting and nailing the fx for the hair takes them 75 percent of the way towards selling this movie in the trailers.