• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

:popcorn:

here they are. pretty excited about these pick ups. I'm now complete from 19-102 and only need 13 books between 1 and 18! Got these from Ted VanLiew (Superworld Comics).

ff25.jpg

ff29.jpg

ff27.jpg

ff11.jpg

I had wanted a Twin Cities FF but they are all so pricey....this one wasn't too bad.....recent Clink win. Do any of you know of an earlier mention of the Negative Zone than FF 51 ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF51.jpg

Stan initially referred to the barrier that imprisoned The Inhumans (in FF #48) as "a negative zone", but the first mention of what we now know as "The Negative Zone" is indeed in FF #51.

Reed calls it "Sub-Space", but it's clear from the beginning that it's a negative place.

So to speak.

Edited by KirbyJack

I had wanted a Twin Cities FF but they are all so pricey....this one wasn't too bad.....recent Clink win. Do any of you know of an earlier mention of the Negative Zone than FF 51 ? GOD BLESS...

FF51.jpg

CONGRATS Jim! I was pondering going after this one seriously...decided to go after a couple of different books that I didn't win...glad this one went to you ( :gossip: and glad I didn't go bid-war on you)...put me at the top of the list if you decide to part with it. I still could use a TC copy in my set... :cloud9:

Edited by trmoore54

I don't know yet, my friend . This will be my first one,,,,I'll definitely give it a critique. People whose opinions I hold in very high regard speak highly of the collection. GOD BLESS....

What’s it about this Twin Cities collection? The white pages?

I don't have too many, as stated they are/were pricey, especially when they came to market. However, the ones I do have are outstanding in color gloss, brightness, freshness

and page quality. I have the ASM 23 and I have never seen a brighter White cover example. I highly recommend them.

That’s cool. Whiteness of the cover paper becomes particularly relevant when you have a cover which relies on white for its beauty and effectiveness.

For example, I’d love to have a white-covered Fantastic Four for that issue where the Warlock cocoon is at the center of the composition. It‘s a highly dramatic story, relevant for the issues it brings in (biogenetic engineering, blind faith in means of merely technical applications of science), and most of the cover compositions have a sense of "impending doom" to them. One of my favorites.

What’s it about this Twin Cities collection? The white pages?

I don't have too many, as stated they are/were pricey, especially when they came to market. However, the ones I do have are outstanding in color gloss, brightness, freshness

and page quality. I have the ASM 23 and I have never seen a brighter White cover example. I highly recommend them.

Same feelings here. I love the Twin Cities books. :cloud9:

Even in the lower graded examples, the colors just "pop out", and the page quality is usually excellent thoughout the entire collection.

By the way, the colors to me really stand out if the covers are predominately one color, such as the White, Black, or Red cover books. The Purplish/Blueish covers are fantastic too...such as FF25,39, & ASM 7, 11, 15, or 17 for example. :headbang:

Agreed, FF25 is one of the great SA Marvel comics. It looks like the 9.8 Pacific Coast copy in the current Heritage auction is going to fetch quite a price, so there are several others that agree, too.

Only because there have been so many of these battles over the years.

However, in the beginning, when the Thing had not met the Hulk, all Marvel readers were BEGGING for a confrontation between these two.

Back then the strongest Marvel heroes were few and far between, being The Thing, The Hulk, Thor & the Sub-mariner. That was the top four. Period.

So Marvel fans have always speculated on who would win in a battle if they fought. That is why all the books featuring these early battles are so expensive also.

FF #12, FF #25, & 26 and JIM #112. Later on Marvel introduced many super-strong powerful heroes and villains, but in the early days it was only these four.

I think this is one of those "you had to be there" moments to fully appreciate these stories as we did in 1962-65.

By the way, the battle between the Hulk & Thing in FF25 & 26 tops FF #12 in my opinion. :grin:

I always wanted the Thing to be able to pound the Hulk to a pulp, but poor Benjamin always seemed to get the worst of it.

I did enjoy when the Hulk got his azz pounded by the Abomination in they're first meeting in Tales to Astonish #90 I believe.

Benjy is definetly due to beat The Hulk.

( Summoning all my will power to suppress full fledged geek-rant on subject :blahblah:...

...ok. We're safe. )

The first comic I ever bought was a reprint of TTA 90. It's a collossal favorite.