• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

Thanks, Tom! It was great to nab pedigrees on the three of them...the #20 was the first 9.6 graded for that issue and comes from the East Lansing Collection (per Doug's description of it in his "Vault", which he should take down any day now...)

And James, I remember now that you're saving up for an AF 15...good luck!

Dan

Hi all --

So here are my Schmelly results and my thoughts heading into the auction.

From my previous art sales and trades, I had a good chunk of change for the auction even knowing that I probably shouldn't try too hard to win since these prices will likely be the highest these books will see for a while. But logic has never stopped me from bidding before! :idea::insane:

My hope was to bag the FF #8 in 9.4 (Northland), which was gorgeous. I bid what I could, watched it get overtaken in the live auction, and then took one Boardie's advice and banged my head against my desk.

But with the funds back in my pocket, I had a second round of bids to put in on about five other books. I ended up with four of them, two at good deals, one at a decent price, and one at a ludicrous price since I put in the bid without remembering the 20% bump. :juggle:

So here are the four...thanks for looking! Dan

FF20.jpg

FF36.jpg

FF37.jpg

FF39.jpg

Nice, Dan! You've been on fire lately.

Hi all --

So here are my Schmelly results and my thoughts heading into the auction.

From my previous art sales and trades, I had a good chunk of change for the auction even knowing that I probably shouldn't try too hard to win since these prices will likely be the highest these books will see for a while. But logic has never stopped me from bidding before! :idea::insane:

My hope was to bag the FF #8 in 9.4 (Northland), which was gorgeous. I bid what I could, watched it get overtaken in the live auction, and then took one Boardie's advice and banged my head against my desk.

But with the funds back in my pocket, I had a second round of bids to put in on about five other books. I ended up with four of them, two at good deals, one at a decent price, and one at a ludicrous price since I put in the bid without remembering the 20% bump. :juggle:

So here are the four...thanks for looking! Dan

FF20.jpg

FF36.jpg

FF37.jpg

FF39.jpg

A feeling of absolute, blind, raging jealousy just swept over me. :eek::sorry:

Awesome pickups! :applause:

Embrace the dark side :insane:

But seriously, those books are not half bad. <3

@drummy: #36 is one of the most accomplished covers among the first 50 ones. The composition, the whole idea, the color scheme are gorgeous. My copy is pretty nice, but I can’t imagine how a professionally graded NM copy would be in hand… Just great. :)

The Pacific Coast FFs are amazing, and not all were prohibitively expensive:

FF35PC.jpg

....I love this issue, Lee Kirby FF's don't get a lot better......what a nice one to have the PC copy of. I was disappointed that none of you ended up with the 7.....such a tough, tough book in grade.....and the price wasn't THAT bad. The 9.8 copies of FF 64 keep hovering around a grand......the market may not ever crash enough for me to end up with one. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Picture019.jpg

FF #12 CGC 6.5. Picked this up from Gaz973 (thumbs u Just love this book.

Also got issues 9 and 10 from Garry at same time. Looks Like I am on my way in my quest to complete a set of CGC issues 1-20.

Very niiice! Gaz is good peeps! :headbang:

I haven't bought a hero silver marvel in............ oh man............. I can't remember when. Might be ten years or more. Sold off my early ff's but I've owned most of them and it was always my favorite series. :) My favorites in the first 10 were 4,6,9 although although I've never owned 1,2,or 5 before. Decide to rectify some of that today, picked up this #5 6.5 OWW - soon to be cracked and read :cloud9:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-5-CGC-6-5-FN-GORGEOUS-1st-App-Doctor-Doom-KEY-/190708111515?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c6716d89b#ht_5916wt_754

that was AFTER my GPA subscription. Before that I made the boneheaded decision to shoot from the hip and paid too much for this #4 6.0 OWW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110930712312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_755wt_898

A new GPA high :whee:

Going from memory that should be about $900 :sorry: