• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,782 posts in this topic

Fantastic price :grin:

$16000 :insane:

Fantastic Four #55 CGC 9.9 Mint sells for $16,000 :o on PedigreeComics.com

Pedigree Comics has just reported that a CGC certified 9.9 Mint copy of Fantastic Four #55 has sold for a record price of $16,000. The book, part of Pedigree Comics owner Doug Schmell's private collection, was listed in the vault section of his website and was purchased by a private collector who loves highest graded issues, particularly those of the Fantastic Four. The book was first listed by Mr. Schmell on his website back in March of 2007 is a very popular issue as it features the fourth appearance of the Silver Surfer, a classic Thing and Silver Surfer battles storyline by Stan Lee, and a classic Thing and Silver Surfer battle cover by Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott. The comic is also the third cover appearance of the Silver Surfer following Fantastic Four #49 and Fantastic Four #50.

The book represents the only 9.9 or Mint grade ever given to a Silver Age issue of the Fantastic Four with this example being from the high grade Boston collection. It is one of the earliest Marvel Age comics to garner a Mint grade and is characterized by white pages and deep color strike. According to Mr. Schmell, the buyer saw the book listed in the vault and after numerous back and forth negotiations, the price of $16,000, which is just over 600 times Guide was agreed upon. Both buyer and seller are very happy and felt the price was reasonable considering its condition. Although the CGC Census notes several copies of Fantastic Four #55 in 9.6 copies, there are no known 9.8 and only the Boston copy in 9.9.

The sale marks the earliest and most expensive exchange of a Silver Age Marvel in CGC certified 9.9 Mint condition. The book is cover dated October 1966. A CGC certified 10.0 Gem Mint copy of Thor #156 sold in 2002 for $5,000 or roughly 100 times Guide at the time.

CopiedeFF-55-99.jpg

Crypt,

If I wasn't such a geek, I'd be able to upload the scan myself. Thanks for putting up the FF 55. It was such a cornerstone of my collection for a while (I bought it in the late 90's) that it was a real tough decision selling it. But I thought the buyer made a VERY reasonable and more than fair offer and figured I can always get a 9.6. Hard to believe taht no 9.8's exist with 12 9.6's and a boatload of 9.4's out there.

It's amazing how many great Boston FF books I used to have that I traded/sold: FF 50 9.8 (traded to Brulato), FF 52 9.8 (traded to Brulato), 66 9.8 (sold to Brulato but traded back for it) and now the 55 9.9. These bostons are killer books and practically all have white pages.

Anyway, the buyer is very happy and so am I. Just one of those deals where both parties walk away with no regrets, etc. I know I'll think about not having the 9.9 for a bit but time heals all wounds, no?

Crypt,

If I wasn't such a geek, I'd be able to upload the scan myself. Thanks for putting up the FF 55. It was such a cornerstone of my collection for a while (I bought it in the late 90's) that it was a real tough decision selling it. But I thought the buyer made a VERY reasonable and more than fair offer and figured I can always get a 9.6. Hard to believe taht no 9.8's exist with 12 9.6's and a boatload of 9.4's out there.

It's amazing how many great Boston FF books I used to have that I traded/sold: FF 50 9.8 (traded to Brulato), FF 52 9.8 (traded to Brulato), 66 9.8 (sold to Brulato but traded back for it) and now the 55 9.9. These bostons are killer books and practically all have white pages.

Anyway, the buyer is very happy and so am I. Just one of those deals where both parties walk away with no regrets, etc. I know I'll think about not having the 9.9 for a bit but time heals all wounds, no?

That's a really nice deal for you :applause: and a really nice book for the owner, i think every FF collector here would kill to get this gem in their collec' :grin:

good luck with your Boston pedigree books :wishluck: