• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,699 posts in this topic

Toss up a couple of my earlier issues.

One of the best silver covers, there's no doubt that the Thing and the Hulk are about to go toe to toe. Who wouldn't want to read this book after seeing the cover.

ff12.jpg

One of my first books under #30, loved the story, the Watcher-radical.

ff13.jpg

ff12.jpg

Why is does this book have the "i" dotted in blue?

BTW I consider this book a top 10 historical book due to it being the first superhero crossover where the heroes fight each other. (And not due to being mind controlled or some trick like that) This was a 1960's marvel staple that continues to this day in all superhero lines.

ff12.jpg

BTW I consider this book a top 10 historical book due to it being the first superhero crossover where the heroes fight each other. (And not due to being mind controlled or some trick like that) This was a 1960's marvel staple that continues to this day in all superhero lines.

Well there was the Sub-Mariner in FF 4.

He was a GA superhero right?

ff12.jpg

Well there was the Sub-Mariner in FF 4.

He was a GA superhero right?

Issue 12 was the first Marvel crossover of a new Marvel character. Marvel was a master at crossing new characters into established titles all through the sixties. The Sub-Mariner was certainly introduced as a villian in FF4 but when you think about the qualities of a hero I think you could argue he was very much a hero. Defending his race against the evil surface dwellers.

I'm not sure I would agree that FF12 is a top 10 Marvel historic book, no new characters introduced, not sure the first crossover of a new character is that important, but certainly one of my favorite books, great cover and story. FF1,2,4,5,6,48, AF1, Spidey 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,14,50, Hulk1, JIM83, Avengers 1,4, DD1, TOS39 plus others would rank higher in my importance list.

But Subby was more a villain than a SA Marvel superhero in his earliest FF appearances.

Yes, but so was the Hulk. (thumbs u

Not trying to throw cold water on FF 12 'cause I like the book too... :D

I agree that the early renditions of Hulk are hard to classify, but whereas Subby was a pure FF antagonist in early issues (they didn't work on the same side until FF 33, I believe), Hulk had his own title and was an original (if ill-fated) part of the Avengers. Arguably, then, the Hulk that appeared in FF 12 was a superhero crossover, whereas the Subby that appeared in FF 4, 6, and 9 was a villain appearance.

Do I win a no-prize? :insane:

Well in FF 6 Subby was trick into helping Doc Doom and in the end turned around and helped the FF escape him.

He was pizzed in FF 4 when he found out his underwater kingdom was nuked (or whatever) but I don't think he was ever a true bad guy.

It was already establish in the GA he was a hero though.

ff12.jpg

I thought they didn't fight in this issue.

They fight. The Hulk belts Benjy right in the kisser. However, the entire F.F. fights the Hulk in this issue. In # 25, we get the first solo Thing/Hulk fracas.

As to F.F. #12 being a first cross-over, it's tied with Amazing Spider-Man #1 (the F.F. had a very social month, apparently). Not to mention Marvel Mystery Comics #8, which features the very first hero v. hero cross-over ever.

They fight. The Hulk belts Benjy right in the kisser. However, the entire F.F. fights the Hulk in this issue. In # 25, we get the first solo Thing/Hulk fracas.

As to F.F. #12 being a first cross-over, it's tied with Amazing Spider-Man #1 (the F.F. had a very social month, apparently). Not to mention Marvel Mystery Comics #8, which features the very first hero v. hero cross-over ever.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've never read that issue. Now, I must read it.