• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,700 posts in this topic

So very true, Torch.

In an unrelated vein, this message board has inspired me. I have sent my Fantastic Four #92 in to CGC to be graded. It's about as nice as I have and I'm realistically hoping for a 9.0. We'll see...

Wow this thread is sweeet. If anyone has a FF#5 they'd like to part with, please PM me. :)

P.S. I'm waiting for the FF Omnibus so I can read the entire Lee/Kirby run of FF. :)

I read the little FF digest sized reprint of the early issues when I was around 6 or so. This was my earliest exposure to comics. Zip ahead 30+ years later and I am finally getting around to reading this historic Lee/Kirby run with the ESSENTIAL black&white trades. Wow! What have I been missing. I always knew it was good, the real reason I didn't get into it for so long was because, I knew how obsessive I would be in starting to collect some of these issues. Within a few months of starting the run, and I am just now about to read the famous issue #48.

I have already gotten around 16 issues of the originals including some keys and favorites (1, 5, 8, 13, 16, 17, 48, 49, 50, 51). To keep the costs within reason, I am only collecting VG-VF, and avoiding NM so I don't feel guilty handling and reading these, especially the first 20 or so issues.

Glad to finally be an F.F. fan!!!! Now I understand why these books are significant and special.

Kirby was truly at his peak. I wish I could afford a Kirby original FF page although I have a Forever People original page. Its beautiful ...sigh.

After years of drawing comics I think Kirby instinctively knew how to draw a panel that jumped out at you. He was also a master at perspective.

ff47.jpg

I love the way Kirby draws the team, the Thing straddling the rocks, Mr Fantastic stretched out and The Invisible Woman dangling at the bottom. The Human Torch's flame and team vertically drawn draw the eyes downward into the cavern. I think Kirby must have loved The Human Torch. His flame trail really draws the eye.

This was a great issue!!

ff26.jpg

I'm still wondering how in the heck Cap through his shield like that.

You wouldn't think Cap could get a lot of mustard using that frisby grip. I guess that's why he is a super hero and I toss wobblers at the beach. Pretty FF48.

This was a great issue!!

ff26.jpg

You wouldn't think Cap could get a lot of mustard using that frisby grip. I guess that's why he is a super hero and I toss wobblers at the beach. Pretty FF48.

It also looks like used his web shooters to grab the shield.

This was a great issue!!

ff26.jpg

Web shooters? I like how you list an ETA on when you will finish your Avengers run. Which issues do you need?

This was a great issue!!

ff26.jpg

Web shooters? I like how you list an ETA on when you will finish your Avengers run. Which issues do you need?

ala Spider-Man. I need 16,17,18,24,25,26,27,28,29 and 30.

25 years ago I purchased most of the Avengers from 20 to 60 in mid grade for about a buck a book off n friend. He gave up comics to become a witch. Not sure how that worked out for him but I love the comics lol. Can't imagine a convention of witches, comments like ' which witch are you' or 'which way did he go' would drive me batty.

25 years ago I purchased most of the Avengers from 20 to 60 in mid grade for about a buck a book off a friend. He gave up comics to become a witch. Not sure how that worked out for him but I love the comics lol. Can't imagine a convention of witches, comments like ' which witch are you' or 'which way did he go' would drive me batty.

25 years ago I purchased most of the Avengers from 20 to 60 in mid grade for about a buck a book off a friend. He gave up comics to become a witch. Not sure how that worked out for him but I love the comics lol. Can't imagine a convention of witches, comments like ' which witch are you' or 'which way did he go' would drive me batty.
lol

Here is my #3 in decent shape. Got it in trade from Harley Yee.

ff3.jpg

NICE!!!!!!! :cloud9:

This was one of the first stories I ever read. That page with the monster sculpture in front of the theater...classic Kirby! I remember staring at that thing for hours as a kid thinking how cool that was!

I used to carry around the old digest-size reprint.

any advice for a silver age noooobie?

i've been a 'modern' cat all of my life...always turning my ignorant nose away from the classics..

but i just finished my first silver age run (a low-grade raw set of silver surfer 1-18), and i need more!

i've decided on the FF surfer run as my next raw set (48-50, 56-61,

72,74-77 am i missing any others?), and was wondering if there was anywhere special to be looking. I have been scrounging ebay and the for sale forum here...but anywhere else?

also, if any of you have some low grade dupes...id be glad to take them off of your hands ;)

any help would be greatly appreciated.