• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,818 posts in this topic

Every Saturday I would hop on the bus and transfer to all the second hand bookstores looking for more Marvel comics. It was like some kinda drug. Purchased FF 15,23,24,30,31,39,41 and 43 off a kid I met for a quarter a piece. The comics were trashed and written on with black felt marker but wow what a bus ride home. I've upgraded them all and passed them on to a buddy. Here's #18 and 39. 39's cover and story rank in my heart as one of the best of the silver age. #18 wasn't too shabby either.

ff18.jpg

ff39.jpg

Yup. Them's some primo funny books, sir.

I think there's room to grow for Fantastic Four #51 financially. That issue is frequently cited as the best single issue of the title; and the title is often cited as the best in comics' history.

Shoot. Now I'm thinking about upgrading my copy...

I always thought this one was WAY underpriced in the guide.A recent 9.2 sale at 14k seems to illustrate that. 9.2's have been turning over at 5 times guide for a while now.It would be difficult to find an 8.5 for 9.2 guide.It should be at least on equal footing with the # 11.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0004.jpg

A reason to post mine again...love that book

56965-FF136.0.JPG.c9737a9acd3e7a0a7e7def39b5bd52e9.JPG

56966-FF13back.JPG.e1f310f49d7b389bba99dd347605bb95.JPG

I have a #172 35 center I might sell. Have to post this here:

FF16ukVF.jpg[/img]

That book is too sweet. :cloud9:

I have to agree and I love the Pence version, so here's mine anyway. I think it's a bit nicer than mine :insane:

56967-FF164.0.JPG.c9e2720d1b4a87f7cbba3327549a2cb3.JPG

ff39.jpg

I absolutely love this issue (and #40) but the cover always bothers me --- I see no reason why a Kirby DD (though I don't know what it looked like) had to be replaced with a Wally Wood DD. Wood, a great talent, always drew heads larger in proportion to their bodies and, in my mind, reduced the heroic aspects of the character. :(

Yup. Them's some primo funny books, sir.

I think there's room to grow for Fantastic Four #51 financially. That issue is frequently cited as the best single issue of the title; and the title is often cited as the best in comics' history.

Shoot. Now I'm thinking about upgrading my copy...

I always thought this one was WAY underpriced in the guide.A recent 9.2 sale at 14k seems to illustrate that. 9.2's have been turning over at 5 times guide for a while now.It would be difficult to find an 8.5 for 9.2 guide.It should be at least on equal footing with the # 11.GOD BLESS...

scan0004.jpg

A reason to post mine again...love that book

NICE COLOR.That cover is so sharp when the color is all there.It's in my top 3 of the early issues...with 5 and16 being the others.GOD BLESS...

[quote

I absolutely love this issue (and #40) but the cover always bothers me --- I see no reason why a Kirby DD (though I don't know what it looked like) had to be replaced with a Wally Wood DD. Wood, a great talent, always drew heads larger in proportion to their bodies and, in my mind, reduced the heroic aspects of the character. :(

Perhaps Kirby did draw Daredevil on this cover and Stan had Wally redraw it as it looked wrong. Regardless I love the cover and would reluctantly agree to store the original art at my place. Hehe. Always thought the cover to #40 was especially dull. Especially considering the wonderful covers to come.

ff44.jpg

ff45.jpg

ff44.jpg

ff45.jpg

These are two great covers to highlight. The white background on #44 and the indigo on #45 make those two issues striking. I had #45 many years ago as a child and just recently reacquired it at the Toronto Comicon. I am really happy to have this book back in my (adult) collection.

These are two great covers to highlight. The white background on #44 and the indigo on #45 make those two issues striking. I had #45 many years ago as a child and just recently reacquired it at the Toronto Comicon. I am really happy to have this book back in my (adult) collection.

Kirby was amazing. What's the Toronto comicon like? Worth a trip from Edmonton? We really don't have much in the way of comicons.

Marvel must have had a pretty good idea the surfer was popular. He was sure drawn onto tons of ff covers.

Gotta love ff#55. One of the top silver covers to me. The surfer is just so darn photogenic.

ff55.jpg

ff#57 is another great surfer cover and story, basis for the second ff movie

ff57-1.jpg

ff#72 is bar none my favorite late silver marvel cover. This would be my first pick to upgrade.

ff72.jpg

Issue #13 was a beaut. Loved the story. Of course if DC had done this story the cover woulda featured the Red Ghost's apes.

:signfunny:...GOD BLESS...

ff45.jpg

That date stamp looks an awful lot like the one appearing on Green River pedigree books. We all know one GR copy of this ish sold recently for over $3K, and there are often multiple copies of certain issues in the collection.

Calling our resident GR expert Red Hook.... oh yeah, the mods..... well, I'm sure glad the boards are now safe for all of us to talk up comics... :makepoint:

ff45.jpg

That date stamp looks an awful lot like the one appearing on Green River pedigree books. We all know one GR copy of this ish sold recently for over $3K, and there are often multiple copies of certain issues in the collection.

Calling our resident GR expert Red Hook.... oh yeah, the mods..... well, I'm sure glad the boards are now safe for all of us to talk up comics... :makepoint:

Good eye....I think Brad said there were like 8 copies of the FF 45 in the GR collection.Very possible.GOD BLESS...

Not sure. Think I picked up 45,44 and a couple more as upgrades at the same time. #45 certainly wasn't advertised as a Green River when i bought it.

The 8.5 GR FF 45 that Brad outbid me on eBAY a couple years ago had the stamp in the same spot.That and the lack of tanning and the puffiness of the spine make it a prime candidate for a GREEN RIVER.....GOD BLESS...

p.s. The Green River collection was introduced in the early 90's by John Hauser.