• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,700 posts in this topic

Here is my #3 in decent shape. Got it in trade from Harley Yee.

ff3.jpg

NICE!!!!!!! :cloud9:

This was one of the first stories I ever read. That page with the monster sculpture in front of the theater...classic Kirby! I remember staring at that thing for hours as a kid thinking how cool that was!

I used to carry around the old digest-size reprint.

Your #3...are you freaking kidding me??? :takeit:

Beautiful copy...do you have a grade on it? Letusknow... :headbang:

any advice for a silver age noooobie?

i've been a 'modern' cat all of my life...always turning my ignorant nose away from the classics..

but i just finished my first silver age run (a low-grade raw set of silver surfer 1-18), and i need more!

i've decided on the FF surfer run as my next raw set (48-50, 56-61,

72,74-77 am i missing any others?), and was wondering if there was anywhere special to be looking. I have been scrounging ebay and the for sale forum here...but anywhere else?

also, if any of you have some low grade dupes...id be glad to take them off of your hands ;)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't forget 55 and 62.

i've been a 'modern' cat all of my life...always turning my ignorant nose away from the classics..

but i just finished my first silver age run (a low-grade raw set of silver surfer 1-18), and i need more!

72,74-77 am i missing any others?), and was wondering if there was anywhere special to be looking. I have been scrounging ebay and the for sale forum here...but anywhere else?

also, if any of you have some low grade dupes...id be glad to take them off of your hands ;)

Don't forget 55 and 62.
Oh, and Fantastic Four Annual 5

I've just recently gotten around to reading the whole FF Kirby/Lee run. Great stuff!!!! Why start in the middle. Start where it all began, FF#1...use the ESSSENTIAL collections (they're cheap!)....you wont' regret it!

Don't forget 55 and 62.

Doesn't FF annual # 4 have the first solo Silver Surfer story?It also has Johnny Storm vs. the original Timely Torch.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Don't forget 55 and 62.

Doesn't FF annual # 4 have the first solo Silver Surfer story?It also has Johnny Storm vs. the original Timely Torch.GOD BLESS...

I'll go check.

Don't forget 55 and 62.

I'll go check.
Nope. FF Annual 4 makes no mention of Silver Surfer. It has the Human Torch I v. Human Torch II and then reprints FF 25 and 26.

FF 55, great purple cover great issue. You gotta get it!!

ff3.jpg

This was one of the first stories I ever read. That page with the monster sculpture in front of the theater...classic Kirby! I remember staring at that thing for hours as a kid thinking how cool that was!

Harley graded it as a Fine, its close to a fine but I don't like the paper quality, quite brown.

It was an interesting deal. Harley came to a local Edmonton comic show about 15 years ago. Our shows are quite small with local dealers and a few from Calgary so Harley's selection of comics was mind blowing. I gotta think he had a pretty good show as his booth was busy all weekend. I had just got back into collecting and had never spent more than $50 on a comic. I wanted the FF#3 but Harley was asking $300 U.S. When I said I couldn't afford it he asked if I had anything to trade. I did have a Batman 17, great WW2 cover, that I figured was about a VF. Harley asked me to mail it to him. I did but he only graded it a F and asked for more comics. I packed up Wonder Comics 11,13, both in about F-VF condition and shipped them off. Shortly after I received the FF#3. I have always felt the Batman17 was higher grade than the FF3 but perhaps not a VF. I love FF and #3 was a grail at the time but I regret the deal I made. I really liked the Batman 17 and the Wonder Comics are worth a fair amount. Wish I had just dug out my credit card and bought that baby and kept my other comics.

scan0001_edited-1.jpg

It may just be me...but that copy looks to have the BEST color that I've ever seen on a FF 1.GOD BLESS...

Yes, nice white paper, at least whats left. :baiting:

But in my book any FF#1 is a great book. Bet that baby was read a thousand times and loved every time. :cloud9:

ff3.jpg

Harley graded it as a Fine, its close to a fine but I don't like the paper quality, quite brown.

It was an interesting deal. Harley came to a local Edmonton comic show about 15 years ago. Our shows are quite small with local dealers and a few from Calgary so Harley's selection of comics was mind blowing. I gotta think he had a pretty good show as his booth was busy all weekend. I had just got back into collecting and had never spent more than $50 on a comic. I wanted the FF#3 but Harley was asking $300 U.S. When I said I couldn't afford it he asked if I had anything to trade. I did have a Batman 17, great WW2 cover, that I figured was about a VF. Harley asked me to mail it to him. I did but he only graded it a F and asked for more comics. I packed up Wonder Comics 11,13, both in about F-VF condition and shipped them off. Shortly after I received the FF#3. I have always felt the Batman17 was higher grade than the FF3 but perhaps not a VF. I love FF and #3 was a grail at the time but I regret the deal I made. I really liked the Batman 17 and the Wonder Comics are worth a fair amount. Wish I had just dug out my credit card and bought that baby and kept my other comics.

Are you sure ? If you had pulled out the card it would have altered your life...spiralling you into an alternate reality in which everything you now know could be different :baiting: .GOD BLESS...

ff3.jpg

Are you sure ? If you had pulled out the card it would have altered your life...spiralling you into an alternate reality in which everything you now know could be different :baiting: .GOD BLESS...

Almost every trade I've ever made with a dealer I've regretted...they know more than your average collector and will inevitably walk away with the bigger prize. It's always better to pay the money for a book you want, and sell a book you don't want........trading with collectors is a different story and I've always found that to be fun and worthwhile. My 2 cents.

ff3.jpg

He sent me his autograph in the mail today for the 10th time...

5011_13103_24122.jpg