• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,693 posts in this topic

It's not very often that I manage to fill a hole in my Silver Age Fantastic Four run (because I'm such a cheapskate). A respectable copy of #28 for a reasonable price! The scan looks worse than the book in hand -- it's really hard on the soiled white background.

ff28x.jpg

Just six more books in the 20s and upgrading a coverless 36 for a solid run from #15 to #131!

Jack

It's not very often that I manage to fill a hole in my Silver Age Fantastic Four run (because I'm such a cheapskate)....

Two more FF scans.

This one's for nostalgia. It's great to get a more presentable (about fine) copy of Fantastic Four Annual 4 to upgrade the newsstand copy from my youth. This was one of my absolute favorites! I loved the way Kirby, Sinnott and the uncredited colorist (M Severin? S Brodsky?) managed to made the new and old Human Torches so distinct. And the melodramatic Quasimodo ending to the Torch story! And the Hulk-Thing battle reprint that I had never read! Nirvana summer reading for a 13-year-old geek.

FFAnnual.jpg

And what's this thing? 1974-75 Topps-Marvel Comc Book Heroes checklist card with a FF 100 cover. Wha? Anyone looking for these? There are duplicates of the upper and lower left cards.

ffchecklist.jpg

Not Silver Age, but on the subject of Fantastic Four Annuals, I was happy to win 14 of them from #12 to 27, including 4 that I didn't already have, for a penny. Good ol' ebay!

Jack

It's not very often that I manage to fill a hole in my Silver Age Fantastic Four run (because I'm such a cheapskate). A respectable copy of #28 for a reasonable price! The scan looks worse than the book in hand -- it's really hard on the soiled white background.

ff28x.jpg

Just six more books in the 20s and upgrading a coverless 36 for a solid run from #15 to #131!

Jack

Very nice Jack, great issue. Which ones do you still need?

ff28x.jpg

Jack

Thanks!

1-14 (I'll be satisfied with reprints on those, barring miracles or very good luck), 21-23, 25, 26, 29, (36 have coverless), 131, 166, 169 and then a bunch of quarter-box issues from 265 up.

FF from about #30s to 80s were my favorite comics back in the day.

Jack

ff28x.jpg

Jack

Thanks!

1-14 (I'll be satisfied with reprints on those, barring miracles or very good luck), 21-23, 25, 26, 29, (36 have coverless), 131, 166, 169 and then a bunch of quarter-box issues from 265 up.

Jack

Some of those issues are pretty cheap in low grade, even the earlier issues. Keep at it and I bet you complete it some day soon. I gotta agree, I loved the early FFs, especially 39,40,44,45,46,48,49,50,52,55,56,57,58 ...ah hell they were geniuses at Marvel.

Thanks!

Jack

Some of those issues are pretty cheap in low grade, even the earlier issues. Keep at it and I bet you complete it some day soon. I gotta agree, I loved the early FFs, especially 39,40,44,45,46,48,49,50,52,55,56,57,58 ...ah hell they were geniuses at Marvel.

I'm definitely a "cheap in low grade" and "keep at it" collector. The most I've paid for ANY FF is $35 for #20, which I really wanted for the Molecule Man appearance. That's over double the price of the next most expensive issue, #31! (Fortunately I bought the tough issues for 12¢, probably from Rose's or Karnik's Variety Store -- very possibly the 12¢ came from turning in 6 returnable pop bottles!

Several issues in the teens are real beaters, bought from a VCC seller on this very forum. I wouldn't be surprised to complete the set from #11 up, but doubt that I'll ever find 1-10 at prices that I'm willing to pay. Reprints will be OK for those.

Jack

Just reading them is the point. You have good taste.

:blush: Gawrsh!

I almost agree. If just reading them is completely the point, then I could probably pick up Essential Fantastic Four 1-5 for under $25 and be done. If there weren't something special about an original copy, we wouldn't all be posting on this forum.

Jack

In an unrelated vein, this message board has inspired me. I have sent my Fantastic Four #92 in to CGC to be graded. It's about as nice as I have and I'm realistically hoping for a 9.0. We'll see...

I know you were all dying to find out...

It just came back a 9.2! :banana:

Thanks to jimjum... :headbang:

my now earliest FF in 9.0 as well as my first Sid's Luncheonette OO copy! :cloud9:

FANTASTICFOUR21CGC90OW.jpg

FF21SIDSLUNCHEONETTECERT.jpg

BEAUTY!! Gotta love those Sid's copies. I hope to get my hands on one one day!

Congrats on the quest!!

Oh yeah...and the OO is none other than Harry Banks (BurntBoy)! I will post tomorrow or later tonite the history behind the collection (it's on the back of Harry's Certificate of Authenticity/Provenance...pretty eff-in COOL! :headbang: