• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,124 posts in this topic

Got this at the NYCCON.

Don Rosa Collection

Daredevil74DRC.jpg

:applause: Nice grab who did you buy it off of, if you don't mind sharing, and at what grade.

God I am nosey.

Purchased from Stephen Ritter, who has a bunch of pedigrees, Probably a 9.2.

Got this at the NYCCON.

Don Rosa Collection

Daredevil74DRC.jpg

:applause: Nice grab who did you buy it off of, if you don't mind sharing, and at what grade.

God I am nosey.

Purchased from Stephen Ritter, who has a bunch of pedigrees, Probably a 9.2.

Cool. It looks really nice I love the faces and all the activity on the cover.

Does anyone else think Daredevil is way undervalued compared to the rest of the Marvels? I just picked up a #16 CGC 9.0 in Chicago a few weeks back. I submitted my #1 to CGC for onsite grading at the con. I posted it on here some months ago concerning some color loss on a few of the letters. Had a guy in line tell me the book wasnt worth slabbing due to the defects. He said my # 5 wasnt worth slabbing either. The # 1 came back 7.5. The # 5 was a 8.0 ( that one was a dissapointment ). Thats life. Still happy with the # 1 though.

DRX

Does anyone else think Daredevil is way undervalued compared to the rest of the Marvels?

Not really. He doesn't appeal to a mass audience due to his darker, more brooding nature, and due to the fact that he's very much a Batman ripoff, albeit with some unique powers thrown in. At least half of the criticisms of the Daredevil film were directly busting on the morose portrayal by Ben Affleck--which I found odd because that's EXACTLY how Matt Murdock always was in the comics. I suspect that some of the less appealling aspects of the Daredevil character is the reason that they haven't tried to reboot another film, although I suspect they eventually will.

I like Daredevil myself, have a full run, and have read and collected it since the mid-1980s, but of all the titles I collect, it's the one I expect the least from in terms of general acceptance and therefore market performance.

Does anyone else think Daredevil is way undervalued compared to the rest of the Marvels? I just picked up a #16 CGC 9.0 in Chicago a few weeks back. I submitted my #1 to CGC for onsite grading at the con. I posted it on here some months ago concerning some color loss on a few of the letters. Had a guy in line tell me the book wasnt worth slabbing due to the defects. He said my # 5 wasnt worth slabbing either. The # 1 came back 7.5. The # 5 was a 8.0 ( that one was a dissapointment ). Thats life. Still happy with the # 1 though.

DRX

I sold off my DD collection 1-50 about a year ago...about half CGC, half raw...and ever since I got back into the hobby (2002) just can't understand why DD is so unpopular and the books are so undervalued! For example, I sold #43 in 9.0 for $69 last October and thought to myself, WOW, a very cool Cap - DD cover, an issue less than issue 50 Silver Age and it can be had for a song... :tonofbricks:

DD43CGC90-3.jpg

Does anyone else think Daredevil is way undervalued compared to the rest of the Marvels?

Not really. He doesn't appeal to a mass audience due to his darker, more brooding nature, and due to the fact that he's very much a Batman ripoff, albeit with some unique powers thrown in. At least half of the criticisms of the Daredevil film were directly busting on the morose portrayal by Ben Affleck--which I found odd because that's EXACTLY how Matt Murdock always was in the comics. I suspect that some of the less appealling aspects of the Daredevil character is the reason that they haven't tried to reboot another film, although I suspect they eventually will.

I like Daredevil myself, have a full run, and have read and collected it since the mid-1980s, but of all the titles I collect, it's the one I expect the least from in terms of general acceptance and therefore market performance.

The movie sucked which probably didn't help matters...but I recall my circle of friends for many of us DD was second only to Spidey in popularity...in fact their powers and modus operandi were very similar...I mean he was basically a blind spidey with a cane and cable in lieu of a webshooter...

Yes, the movie sucked big time. I still feel ( my own opinion ) that these books have yet to see their day. They may not move like alot of the other Marvels, but I think there is still some upside in them. I have no intention of selling my run anyway, its buried deep in the back yard.

DRX

Absolutely. You could collect an high-grade entire run without doing serious damage to your bank account. I don't think you could do that with any other mainstream Marvel title that dates back to 1964.

Absolutely. You could collect an high-grade entire run without doing serious damage to your bank account. I don't think you could do that with any other mainstream Marvel title that dates back to 1964.

This train of thought seems to be agreed upon in many threads right now.

The movie sucked which probably didn't help matters...but I recall my circle of friends for many of us DD was second only to Spidey in popularity...in fact their powers and modus operandi were very similar...I mean he was basically a blind spidey with a cane and cable in lieu of a webshooter...

Spidey is a far more interesting character than DD. Spidey was a teenager with problems and a great cast of supporting characters and villians. DD was a lawyer, his friends are lawyers and his girlfriend was a legal secretary.

But now as an adult I can relate more with Matt's problems than PP. I am a little tired of the teen aged nerd.

BTW- How does he get his billy club to bounce off three walls and have enough juice to still knock someone silly. The only thing I ever saw close to this in real life was at a Braves game. A baseball hit off a concrete facade and hit a woman in the back of the head and knocked her down. But that was only one bounce.