• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

Mine too Bill! In fact thats the only post 40 non Flessel cover sandman issue I really want.

I gotta differ with you on this one, Ronaldo. I think the Burnley Starman covers are some of the most underrated GA covers around. They're great stuff, pure Golden Age.

I'd love to see some fellow boardies post some here. :wishluck:

Point made Dennis! :sorry:

I will agree those Starman covers are very underrated! I just have never been that interested in collecting them. Maybe when I am done with pre hero ..... hm

Thanks everyone who posted scans, cool covers!

Mine too Bill! In fact thats the only post 40 non Flessel cover sandman issue I really want.

I gotta differ with you on this one, Ronaldo. I think the Burnley Starman covers are some of the most underrated GA covers around. They're great stuff, pure Golden Age.

I will agree those Starman covers are very underrated! I just have never been that interested in collecting them. Maybe when I am done with pre hero ..... hm

I've seen the "underrated" comment a few times now and don't really understand it. Who doesn't rate Burnley Starman (or in fact, any of the Adventure Comics second-banana hero covers) highly? They're some of my favorite Golden Age covers. In fact, aside from "resale value", I'd rather have a full run of Adventure (and its predecessors) than any other series. Great stuff! Thanks to everyone that posted their primo copies here.

Does anyone have a scan of the Starman story from 63, or has it been reprinted? I get a kick out of comparing the "shrunk by a mad scientist" adventure that every superhero-- even Rex the Wonder Dog-- experiences at least once.

Jack

I've seen the "underrated" comment a few times now and don't really understand it. Who doesn't rate Burnley Starman (or in fact, any of the Adventure Comics second-banana hero covers) highly? They're some of my favorite Golden Age covers. In fact, aside from "resale value", I'd rather have a full run of Adventure (and its predecessors) than any other series.

Jack, you have hit on why Adventure Comics and its predecessors are, overall, my favorite Golden Age run. The series' covers evolved from humor, to adventure (with great Flessel covers), to the original Sandman, to Starman, to the Kirby Sandman and Manhunter, and finally to Superboy. I cannot think of any other anthology title that went through so many changes. And each new hero held his own as a first class "second banana."

I've seen the "underrated" comment a few times now and don't really understand it. Who doesn't rate Burnley Starman (or in fact, any of the Adventure Comics second-banana hero covers) highly?

Jack, I think it`s pretty simple. The brilliant run of Starman covers that was shown in this thread garnered probably 1/10th of the oohs and ahs that a similar run of Schomburg covers or Spectre covers would`ve elicited. When people talk about their favorite GA covers, I almost never see the Burnley Starman run mentioned. Therefore, they are most definitely underrated.

Its not a cover, not even a comic.....but, if you do not mind missing color. From All Star 9 by Burnley.....

50306-allstar9burnley.jpg.9edc8b11f6d70c2f7e1ef6db29e98033.jpg

I've seen the "underrated" comment a few times now and don't really understand it. Who doesn't rate Burnley Starman (or in fact, any of the Adventure Comics second-banana hero covers) highly?

Jack, I think it`s pretty simple. The brilliant run of Starman covers that was shown in this thread garnered probably 1/10th of the oohs and ahs that a similar run of Schomburg covers or Spectre covers would`ve elicited. When people talk about their favorite GA covers, I almost never see the Burnley Starman run mentioned. Therefore, they are most definitely underrated.

Burnley wasn't even up for consideration of Top GA Artists when that contest was run. In general, both Flessel and Burnley get short shrift when folks looks at GA artists. Flessel has received more publicity on the boards because he was key artist on the early Detective run but apart from that I suspect he would be as over-looked as Burnley.

Its not a cover, not even a comic.....but, if you do not mind missing color. From All Star 9 by Burnley.....

I remember when that was up for auction -- glad to see you picked it up. Burnley is not flashy but his work is very solid, simple and appealing.

Burnley wasn't even up for consideration of Top GA Artists when that contest was run. In general, both Flessel and Burnley get short shrift when folks looks at GA artists. Flessel has received more publicity on the boards because he was key artist on the early Detective run but apart from that I suspect he would be as over-looked as Burnley.

I couldn't agree more! (thumbs u

Recent pick-up, upgrading a very ratty copy I showed a while back. Scan back through the thread to find out what "AOC" stands for, or just post a guess.

newcomics3-1.jpg

(worship)