• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

It's those subtle reflections of the culture and thinking back in the late 1930s that I find so fascinating. I envy you the opportunity to read the first edition.

Usually, there is a sharp distinction between pre-hero and superhero books. Adventure has the hard split at 40, More Fun at 52 etc. But covers like this actually represent a more nuanced transition to me. You have these superheroes in capes etc. doing totally mundane stuff. Amazing-Man 26, with A-Man fighting giant vultures, is, I think, closer to the scary-animal Adventure covers from 1937-39 than it is to the superhero genre. It reflects a thinking where fighting an eagle/gorilla/snake/... was considered super exciting - at least enough so to be the best bet at selling a comic book.

It's not often I get to contribute to such a worthy and august group of books. I've posted in this thread before but here's a copy of #74 I picked up from John Verzyl a few years back. A real gem.

Beautiful - looks like a pedigree (white pages, too). :applause:

John thought it might be a San Francisco as it had an unreadable stamp on the back cover. But no such designation. No matter the case it is sweet in the hand! I'll post another earlier issue if I can find the scan that came out of a find at a LCS here in Glendale.

I'd love to see the back cover and the unreadable stamp if you are able to.

I'll see if I can scan tonight time permitting.

Here is the back cover of the 74. My scanner doesn't seem to like slabs so I used the Iphone to pick up the detail.Thoughts on John's theory it might be a San Francisco copy?

It may be, but without any back history of the book and no identifiable markings it would be hard to prove. I've seen Tom Reilly ink stamps that transferred from one comic to another, but your backwards ink stamp on the back cover is not a Reilly stamp.

Is that another ink stamp spot I see on the top left of the front cover?

With a little time to spare today I pulled out the Adventure 57 from its double Mylar enclosure. The book felt good in hand, solid and not fragile. An inspection of the interior pages shows some paper degradation from the locker storage but inconsistent and affecting the covers more than the interiors. As I looked through it I was reminded of why I liked books that are not encapsulated so much more as there is so much fun stuff to see. The cover is below and then I will post some interior shots.

145335.jpg.815341acd3f14f52556ab0e83fa917b0.jpg

The Hourman story was interesting with really tiny panels and detailed writing. Almost as though they gave the artist extra big boards and shrunk it down. It was followed by a contest announcement with a huge Hourman!

You can see that the Hourman splash which is the first page of the book still exhibits some nice whiteness on the page but you can also see the tanning in the lower extremes of the cover.

145341.jpg.012b22eff1dd660c4a0621a9210e05d9.jpg

145342.jpg.bfbe661a604df5abd702dc030f8791e8.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Finally, the Sandman story had a fun page filled with a plane and car chase that caught my eye. And as usual the DC house ads are always a great way to end the book. In this case an ad for All Star #2 and the Krypto Ray Gun on the back cover!

145338.jpg.82e3c268699a2c9de1ce8c7e8550fa8c.jpg

145339.jpg.6a8684b324c7e01543e7199cccc93ebc.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

The Hourman story was interesting with really tiny panels and detailed writing. Almost as though they gave the artist extra big boards and shrunk it down. It was followed by a contest announcement with a huge Hourman!

You can see that the Hourman splash which is the first page of the book still exhibits some nice whiteness on the page but you can also see the tanning in the lower extremes of the cover.

Bailey did this sketch for the winner of a contest with Hour Man....

145348.jpg.341d48813580b33abcd570b7b511d1be.jpg

adventure34cvr.jpg

This is the original art to Adventure 34. It seems appropriate in that this was part of the same portfolio that contained the cover of Action 15 which was recently sold. That cover was in my collection for over 25 years. I am fortunate enough to still have this one.

Jon...you are the best buddy!

Joe

adventure34cvr.jpg

This is the original art to Adventure 34. It seems appropriate in that this was part of the same portfolio that contained the cover of Action 15 which was recently sold. That cover was in my collection for over 25 years. I am fortunate enough to still have this one.

Joe

Beautiful. (worship)

adventure34cvr.jpg

Joe

Very cool!

Is there anything you can share about why these particular covers managed to escape the trash bin?

Actually a great part of comic lore!

Jerry DeFuccio the former editor at Mad Magazine was a rabid collector and comic historian. He made a life's work of seeking out professionals and documenting their contributions. He was a major contributor to Jerry Bails Who's Who. He was also a dear friend.

In the early seventies Jerry found Fred Guardineer working for the postal service on LI in NY. Guardineer recounted how he had answered an ad for DC and was given some assignments. Sadly, he rarely got paid! However, with aspirations of working as an illustrator, he realized he needed a portfolio and published work to add to his resume. He continued to work at DC with the condition that selected covers be returned so he could create a portfolio. He kept that portfolio all those years.

Jerry told him he could sell them for him if he liked and he agreed. The art was split between two collectors. Eventually, I acquired the majority of them.

Thanks! It's a cool story as, ultimately, we have lax payment practices of the Major to thank for these surviving.

1247_1.gif

Before it is gone, here is the Mile High (Edgar Church) Copy of New Adventure Comics 12 (#1)

This was just recently sent to be graded, as you would expect the pages are super nice.

Link to larger image

Joe, how is this only a 5.0? Is there a significant spine split or was it hammered simply because of the creases in the lower right?

Great book btw, I'd love to own it. :applause:

Bailey did this sketch for the winner of a contest with Hour Man....

Very nice; thanks for posting.

Honestly, I thought they were overly harsh as there is no split or major defects beyond the light creases you see. I think the dark cover amplifies cosmetic defects. The book was only graded a month ago for the first time. The book is in our current sale so you can check it out there or send me a PM and I will give you a detailed description.

Edited by Joe All Star

1246_1.gif

NEW ADVENTURE COMICS #16 D.C. COMICS 6-1937

As per CGC census second Highest graded copy

Featuring Siegel and Shuster story and art . First non-humor cover.

Edited by Joe All Star