• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2021 at 9:08 AM, mwotka said:

That 38 is awesome!  Here is my 22 that just arrived the other day.  Is there a better Christmas cover?  I don't think so.  

new adventure 22 3.0.jpg

Hey cool, this is my old copy!!! It walked into a local shop in Minneapolis and word reached me because they know I like this kind of stuff (incidentally, my New Fun #3 came from the same shop in a similar manner). I had it graded at one point and since I couldn't find any others to buy, I put it in a Comiclink auction and sold it. If by chance you decide to sell it, I'd like to have a chance at getting it back.  (thumbsu

On 11/2/2021 at 4:05 PM, Obrie2tm said:

Can't wait to get this grouping graded and out on display!

PXL_20211102_225852901.jpg

We were just discussing the Heritage auction results of an Adventure 38 CGC 5.0 over in the Flanagan thread.  You've got some rare books there!

Gene just picked up a New Adventure Comics 12 .... a very nice looking copy. Unfortunately I didn't have an extra 4K. I think that's what he said. Those pre-hero DC's are always cool. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Would anyone here have any idea on what the print runs for GA Adventure Comics might have been?

I don't own enough raw issues to check for distribution/print run numbers that might have been printed in them (I recall reading that it was legally required for books to do so at least once a year, correct?)

On 12/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Would anyone here have any idea on what the print runs for GA Adventure Comics might have been?

I don't own enough raw issues to check for distribution/print run numbers that might have been printed in them (I recall reading that it was legally required for books to do so at least once a year, correct?)

According to Bill Gaines, in the 1950s the minimum print run to make a profit was 300,000. It may have been lower in the 1930s. 

I think it was only in the 1960s that publishers had to report the actual print runs in the indicias. 

On 1/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, jmg3637 said:

GOt a few additions  for this thread.   What is the approximate issue  for  switching  from GA  to SA  for this title?

Adventure 208.jpg

I think when the covers started featuring stories like Rip Van Winkle of Smallville you are in the Silver Age! Plus I like how the two smiling guys are commenting that he's coming out of 20 years sleep indicating they've known he's been there all along and just left him outside in the elements for twenty years! What a great cover!!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 1/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, jmg3637 said:

GOt a few additions  for this thread.   What is the approximate issue  for  switching  from GA  to SA  for this title?

I would say #210, first Krypto and first Comic Code Authority approved issue, is the start of the Silver Age if you need a specific landmark. But, as @50YrsCollctngCmcssays above, it's not a sharp line and the #208 definitely has a Silver Age flavor.

On 2/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I just noticed that next week's Heritage weekly auction will have low grade copies of the following early issues in the title: #6, #23, #24, #33, #34, #36 and #38.

Many of these are rarely available, so it will be a nice opportunity for folks who are trying to get them.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, New Adventure Comics #24 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD...Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #34 (DC, 1939) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #36 (DC, 1939) Condition: Apparent FR/GD....

Thanks for the tip RHG! I'm definitely interested and will be ready to bid if the prices are anywhere near reasonable. Hopefully the fact that they all have restoration will help keep it reasonable! Fingers crossed...

On 2/5/2022 at 5:46 PM, Electron said:

Thanks for the tip RHG! I'm definitely interested and will be ready to bid if the prices are anywhere near reasonable. Hopefully the fact that they all have restoration will help keep it reasonable! Fingers crossed...

Narrator: "They will not be reasonable."

On 2/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, buttock said:

Narrator: "They will not be reasonable."

I fear the pesky narrator to likely be right. My routine these days is to keep the faith until the live auction, quickly followed by stunned disbelief as to who the heck would pay that!!