• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

• Administrator

THREADS STARTED TO ANNOUNCE UPCOMING SALES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get some opinions on these.

Vote and discuss please.

Needless hype and spam, or a favor for those interested so they can read and respond to the sale when it goes up rather than missing the opportunity?

Edited by Architecht

• Administrator
And finally understanding that JC would probably argue with a dead horse....

Per guidline 1, is it permittable to still sell comic related items ?? I have

some odds and ends from the comic book shop that have been packed

away for years, and don't have an attatchment for them, and thought of

selling. Mostly promo stuff, and event items.

Yes, items that are comic related are ok.

i selected

Some moderate pre-hype is ok. Say, within 24 hours of the real sale, and only use one thread, and reply to that thread to start the sale. And don't be a goof! Do this if you have an exciting sale! Don't waste our time with common back issue gunk.

even though i thought it wasn't 100% my way of thinking, as i would have a 1 hour time limit, instead of 24 hours.

if you want to announce your sale 24 hrs in advance, do it via pm or something, like Flaming_Telepath did with the Mildenhall sales sumo.gif

Needless hype and spam.

I voted for this, especially when the hype is placed within multiple areas of the forum.

As Tuco would say "If you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Needless hype and spam.

I voted for this, especially when the hype is placed within multiple areas of the forum.

Yup, same here.

Y'know dzminn, there's two kinds of men in the world: Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

clint.jpg

Needless hype and spam.

Yup, same here.

Y'know dzminn, there's two kinds of men in the world: Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

clint.jpg

hail.gif

It appears that the scum has risen to the top, not the cream . . . yeahok.gif

How's the weather up there? poke2.gif

As for the Question about pre-selling...

It seems OK to me.

Think of this:

Person just hears of the grades they got back from CGC on their lastest submission and wants to anounce they are for sale here, but won't have the books back for scans until a few days.

However not going through with the sales sucks and maybe a 30 day selling ban penalty (not allowed to start threads in the marketplaces) would be a deterrent to such bad practices.

As for the Question about pre-selling...

It seems OK to me.

Think of this:

Person just hears of the grades they got back from CGC on their lastest submission and wants to anounce they are for sale here, but won't have the books back for scans until a few days.

But that has the effect of bumping viable, running sales posts down or potentially off the page. People aren't supposed to post multiple threads for separate books; pre-selling amounts to similar spam.

However not going through with the sales sucks and maybe a 30 day selling ban penalty (not allowed to start threads in the marketplaces) would be a deterrent to such bad practices.

A fitting punshment. But who's going to enforce it? It would be simpler and easier if pre-sales hype wasn't allowed so we didn't need a penalty.

I'm probably not making myself popular with forum sellers with this post. blush.gif

• Administrator

I think you guys should debate this, post your reasoning and try to make your points.

I'll run another post-discussion poll and see if minds have changed.

People can talk about their upcoming sales on the General board.

Why not give everyone some info...books coming back from CGC, bought a large collection and selling it in a week's time, getting rid of books from a certain period, marrying your man-toy from Vancouver (or where ever Greggy is from) and need some cash for his "operation"...

I know some will use it as a glorified sales pitch, but at least some of them will be interesting, and if nobody cares, they will quickly be bumped to page #2 and the Marketplace will be rid of them

my position has always been that if you have books to sell, get your 893censored-thumb.gif together before you start your thread. the best sales threads here have always done this, i don't know why some people should get to make announcements beforehand, unless it's an hour before.

i don't want six or seven announcement threads pushing actual sale threads down. i don't want people griping about announcement threads that never turned into actual sales because the announcer got busy, forgot, got pm offers prior to the thread starting, or whatever. the idea of giving people a couple of days advance notice is great, but why not put it in General? Start a thread saying "I'm getting books x, y and z back from CGC in grades a, b & c, and will be selling them in the marketplace in n days. pm offers seriously considered. don't clutter up the Marketplace - a venue for selling, not advertising - with "COMING SOON! THE DINGLEBERRY COLLECTION! WOW!" &etc.

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Plant me firmly on the side of not starting a thread to advertise future sales. If u want to give an hour or 2 notice so people can finish eating, get home from work, etc, that's fine. But starting a thread just to hype a future sale or having a countdown reeks of the sort of in-your-face salesmanship a lot of us come here to avoid.

Such threads have some value in the Marketplace Forum as others describe above, mostly to let people know what's coming up and when. Since it's first come first serve around here, it's nice to know when to be paying attention! Most of the good stuff that's accurately graded/priced gets snagged pretty quickly, while overpriced/overgraded drek just sits... gossip.gif

That said, I don't see how any type of sales advertising thread would be appropriate for the General Forum. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a selling Forum...so either post a thread with the goods to sell or don't post. The announcing angle is nothing but hype...and that doesn't belong in the selling Forum. Let the goods themselves talk for you...

Jim